2019 Ford Ranger Reviews Compilation

EcoRanger

First Name
Doc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT 301A SuperCrew 4X4 2015 Ecoboost Mustang 50 Year Appereance Package convertible
Vehicle Showcase

RedlandRanger

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4, 1973 Mercury Capri
Vehicle Showcase
This might be my favorite review yet! :LOL:
That DEFINITELY was my favorite review yet! Not a ton of useful info, but it was SO entertaining....

Floyd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Ranger SCab,'16 Connect,'95 MustangGT,'50 Ford
If the new Ranger is to be a long term success they will have to recognize the advent (mostly last century) of something called "pavement".
At least 999 Ranger miles out of 1000 will be driven on the stuff.

Heck it has been 65 years since Eisenhower introduced us to the infancy of the most extensive Interstate system in the world! Still almost no reviews of 2WD trucks equipped for real life street driving, hauling and towing.
Where are all the reviews of 2WD SuperCabs which are as much better on pavement as the FX4s are offroad?

Ford actually advertises against their own product, o_Oimplying that "any truck" is as good as Ford when used in the real world of roads, big box stores and normal daily work and play.
I don't think so,
If "any truck" would do, I would not have humiliated myself by grovelling at Ford's feet for 6 months just to get them to build me one.:inlove:

Gotta go now... I'm heading to the Supermarket... have some shopping to do!

Last edited:

Randy2400h

First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat Sport FX4, 2015 Ford Edge Sport
Vehicle Showcase
So what exactly did the Gladiator do better during the comparison off-road? They found a way to bury the nose of the Ranger by purposely picking a bad line and putting the rear axle at the apex of the hill and the front end at the bottom of the hill; whereas the Gladiator has a longer wheelbase and never reached the same nose down degree as the Ranger. If they had performed the same test on a hill with a slightly longer distance from Apex to bottom, the results would be the same. Both vehicles had off-road pages with inclinometers, I wish they had given us a number for degrees nose down. We do know that the Gladiator’s long wheelbase causes a significant amount of dragging, but most people aren’t going to leave the Gladiator at stock ride height. That goes for the Ranger as well, anyone taking it off-road is probably going to add at least a couple inches to the clearance on the front-end.

Point being, they are equally capable trucks. Both will be even better with some slight modifications. The Gladiator is just going to be easier to throw on suspension modifications with its solid front axle and (probably) better tire clearance in the wheel wells.

RedlandRanger

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4, 1973 Mercury Capri
Vehicle Showcase
So what exactly did the Gladiator do better during the comparison off-road? They found a way to bury the nose of the Ranger by purposely picking a bad line and putting the rear axle at the apex of the hill and the front end at the bottom of the hill; whereas the Gladiator has a longer wheelbase and never reached the same nose down degree as the Ranger. If they had performed the same test on a hill with a slightly longer distance from Apex to bottom, the results would be the same. Both vehicles had off-road pages with inclinometers, I wish they had given us a number for degrees nose down. We do know that the Gladiator’s long wheelbase causes a significant amount of dragging, but most people aren’t going to leave the Gladiator at stock ride height. That goes for the Ranger as well, anyone taking it off-road is probably going to add at least a couple inches to the clearance on the front-end.

Point being, they are equally capable trucks. Both will be even better with some slight modifications. The Gladiator is just going to be easier to throw on suspension modifications with its solid front axle and (probably) better tire clearance in the wheel wells.
I won't ever argue if you are into hard core off-roading that a Jeep is better - that is what they were built for. But unless it is a weekend toy, the majority of the time you will be driving it on pavement. And there needs to be compromises for that - I think the Ranger has done a GREAT job in those compromises. Makes it more refined on road, but has plenty of off road chops to handle most things.

It would definitely have been interesting to see the inclinometer readings for both vehicles. Honestly, I thought the Ranger did REALLY well, and I think they were both surprised at how well it did too.

The Jeep also gives you a front locker as well as disconectable sway bars - but all that comes at a steep price - I believe is was another 12 grand or something like that. You can do a LOT of mods to the Ranger for 12 grand to make it a lot closer.

rangerdanger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger SuperCrew XLT FX4
Vehicle Showcase
I won't ever argue if you are into hard core off-roading that a Jeep is better - that is what they were built for. But unless it is a weekend toy, the majority of the time you will be driving it on pavement. And there needs to be compromises for that - I think the Ranger has done a GREAT job in those compromises. Makes it more refined on road, but has plenty of off road chops to handle most things.

It would definitely have been interesting to see the inclinometer readings for both vehicles. Honestly, I thought the Ranger did REALLY well, and I think they were both surprised at how well it did too.

The Jeep also gives you a front locker as well as disconectable sway bars - but all that comes at a steep price - I believe is was another 12 grand or something like that. You can do a LOT of mods to the Ranger for 12 grand to make it a lot closer.
The Jeep Gladiator as optioned in the video was $60k compared to $42k for the Ranger FX4. That's a huge increase.
Sponsored