First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger, 2019 cargo van, soon to be 1993
Occupation
Crown Forklift Technician
Appreciate the insight Chris. The problem is I have tires like these, the Falken WildPeak AT3, lots of grooves. To my surprise, the factory Hankook's never had this problem with the same drives I do every day, they were exceptional road tires but off-road they were average.
I took a chanve with the Firestone Destination XT's but i can tell you im not disappointed
Sponsored

OP
OP
dondonbabyraptor

dondonbabyraptor

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger Lariat
Occupation
I/O Psych MSc student
What do you guys think about this kind of treading? It looks pretty decent...
1631812825799.png

Reactions: Doc
OP
OP
dondonbabyraptor

dondonbabyraptor

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger Lariat
Occupation
I/O Psych MSc student
I took a chanve with the Firestone Destination XT's but i can tell you im not disappointed
I didn't really see the differences in on-road performance until I hit off-road ramps at 85+ and some slight turns at 60+ that had little crack/bumps in the road.

OP
OP
dondonbabyraptor

dondonbabyraptor

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger Lariat
Occupation
I/O Psych MSc student
Damn, these look good too.
1631813085847.png

Doc

First Name
Doc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 HPP Mustang, 2021 Ranger STX,2022 Subaru WRX
Occupation
Retired
Hello all,

Looking at street tires… and there really isn’t much for 18in wheels. Does that change for 17 in wheels? Really the best option might be the hankooks or duelers? Just want a pair of tires I can run really hard on road and a pair for off-road. Noticed if there is a slight road imperfection like a slight crack or bump the off road tires will lose slight traction at turns going 60+. Not the best feeling I would like… I get it, “don’t take the turn as fast” but the hankooks actually didn’t have problems on-road probably because they don’t have those deep grooves or as many. The falkens are amazing off-road though, just can’t push them to a fast on road speed for turns.. straightaway, it’s fine hitting limiter.

Maybe looking to purchase a wheel/tire combo for 17 and 18 in wheels..
@Doc what do you use for tires with your time on the strip?

Warm regards,
Brandon
Hankook Dynapro 25 lbs air … launch 2500 rpms

OP
OP
dondonbabyraptor

dondonbabyraptor

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger Lariat
Occupation
I/O Psych MSc student
Running factory and those tires are honestly probably 8.5/10 for street, not even going to lie. I miss them. Appreciate the insight Doc.

OP
OP
dondonbabyraptor

dondonbabyraptor

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger Lariat
Occupation
I/O Psych MSc student
I think those Toyo's will be my next purchase in the further future. I just spend $1300 on these Falken's, not my biggest interest to drop another $1000 on tires alone. I have a local offer for same Lariat machined 18 wheels and Hankooks with 11k miles on them, going to text and drive up to grab them more than likely.

Toytec

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 XLT 302a S/cab 4X4 w/diff lock MG
Occupation
Automotive technician, Retired.
Vehicle Showcase
Stick with the Wildpeaks except go with the H/T tire. They still look aggressive but rival the Michelin's all day long for way much less.
You need to shop at a different store. You paid too much for those Falkens. The deals start coming out in October.

Scooter

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
------2011 Ford Ranger XL 2.3L Manual Scab
Occupation
--Machinist
I will chime in on the Michelin Defender. They are an all weather tire. A very high mileage tire.
They do all things ok. They are a compromise for all conditions.

I recently purchased them for my 2011, 2.3 L, manual, 2 WD, non posi Ranger.
If I had a 4WD I may trust them to get up to the local Mnts in the Winter. No crazy snow conditions. They do have a snow flake on them. Since my Ranger is not be trusted on any advanced terrain, I run a dedicated Toyo Winter tire with sand bags.

They are moderately siped. I live on the wet coast. I wanted a tire I could trust in the rain. For me the test area is when I come off the Hwy into a 180 degree turn, no camber. The tires are inspiring at a higher then average cornering speed in the rain. The Ranger has a high mass with a higher weight then a sedan. Does well.

They are quiet. I have had no issues with dry grip. High cornering and braking forces.
I run the tire size that came stock on an XL. 235's to have the gearing work well with the manual transmission and 4.11 gears. The motor only has 145 Hp. I mainly commute with the truck.
Not sure how the tires will performer with a taller side wall.

Michelin's are one of the top tire Mfg. I would recommend the Defenders for City and Hwy vehicle use and groomed Gravel roads.

OP
OP
dondonbabyraptor

dondonbabyraptor

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger Lariat
Occupation
I/O Psych MSc student
Stick with the Wildpeaks except go with the H/T tire. They still look aggressive but rival the Michelin's all day long for way much less.
You need to shop at a different store. You paid too much for those Falkens. The deals start coming out in October.
Yeah, the extra cost was the tire insurance from discount tire. But still was quite expensive compared to what I have seen others pay.

OP
OP
dondonbabyraptor

dondonbabyraptor

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger Lariat
Occupation
I/O Psych MSc student
I will chime in on the Michelin Defender. They are an all weather tire. A very high mileage tire.
They do all things ok. They are a compromise for all conditions.

I recently purchased them for my 2011, 2.3 L, manual, 2 WD, non posi Ranger.
If I had a 4WD I may trust them to get up to the local Mnts in the Winter. No crazy snow conditions. They do have a snow flake on them. Since my Ranger is not be trusted on any advanced terrain, I run a dedicated Toyo Winter tire with sand bags.

They are moderately siped. I live on the wet coast. I wanted a tire I could trust in the rain. For me the test area is when I come off the Hwy into a 180 degree turn, no camber. The tires are inspiring at a higher then average cornering speed in the rain. The Ranger has a high mass with a higher weight then a sedan. Does well.

They are quiet. I have had no issues with dry grip. High cornering and braking forces.
I run the tire size that came stock on an XL. 235's to have the gearing work well with the manual transmission and 4.11 gears. The motor only has 145 Hp. I mainly commute with the truck.
Not sure how the tires will performer with a taller side wall.

Michelin's are one of the top tire Mfg. I would recommend the Defenders for City and Hwy vehicle use and groomed Gravel roads.
Will consider the Michelin's in the future. Thank you for the very detailed insight. I want more dry specialty tires, no need for them to be good in wet conditions.

OP
OP
dondonbabyraptor

dondonbabyraptor

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger Lariat
Occupation
I/O Psych MSc student
Will be buying these TPMS as the new set of wheels and tires don't have them. $120... More than I thought but still very decent deal at the price I am getting the wheels/tire combo.
1631816524977.png

OP
OP
dondonbabyraptor

dondonbabyraptor

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger Lariat
Occupation
I/O Psych MSc student
Brandon. As I said you are in a dryer climate. You will be able to choose a more focused tire.
Appreciate the help Brian :bow:

OP
OP
dondonbabyraptor

dondonbabyraptor

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger Lariat
Occupation
I/O Psych MSc student
Quick question boss. 0-60 times with this and drag times? I think it was 13.99 1/4 mile? with just a deleted muffler right, no tune? I think you mentioned your 0-60 but forgot. I have never launched with extra RPMS, just from standstill. Man, I want to try it.

I second your 25 lbs, I remember asking you and when I tried it, it was excellent. Not for everyday driving due to safety... But man did I love the grip on 25 pounds.
Sponsored