Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger Lariat
Occupation
I/O Psych MSc student
Hello all,

Looking at street tires… and there really isn’t much for 18in wheels. Does that change for 17 in wheels? Really the best option might be the hankooks or duelers? Just want a pair of tires I can run really hard on road and a pair for off-road. Noticed if there is a slight road imperfection like a slight crack or bump the off road tires will lose slight traction at turns going 60+. Not the best feeling I would like… I get it, “don’t take the turn as fast” but the hankooks actually didn’t have problems on-road probably because they don’t have those deep grooves or as many. The falkens are amazing off-road though, just can’t push them to a fast on road speed for turns.. straightaway, it’s fine hitting limiter.

Maybe looking to purchase a wheel/tire combo for 17 and 18 in wheels..
@Doc what do you use for tires with your time on the strip?

Warm regards,
Brandon
Sponsored

Chris M

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XLT Sport 4X4
Occupation
Security Supervisor
I don't do off-road so my replacement tire for the stock Bridgestones (which wore out at about 25000 miles) is the Continental TerrainContact at 265/70/17 (one size larger than stock).
I was looking for a quiet street tire, and that is what I got. I have had no traction issues, but then again I tend to drive like the old man that I am and don't horse the truck around much. So far I like them pretty well.

OP
OP
dondonbabyraptor

dondonbabyraptor

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger Lariat
Occupation
I/O Psych MSc student
I don't do off-road so my replacement tire for the stock Bridgestones (which wore out at about 25000 miles) is the Continental TerrainContact at 265/70/17 (one size larger than stock).
I was looking for a quiet street tire, and that is what I got. I have had no traction issues, but then again I tend to drive like the old man that I am and don't horse the truck around much. So far I like them pretty well.
Thank you for your insight Chris. I don't mind if they are quiet so much, but I do want them to have good contact with on-road. I will take a look at these and add it to my list to check out. Appreciate it :)

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
Brandon, you might be best with two sets for what you're looking for. I love my Nitto Ridge Grapplers and they're pretty aggressive so they're great off road. They still are great on the street too and very quiet but you're not going to get the performance in the street with them you're looking for. Unless you don't care about going off road much look at the ones Chris has.

Hey it's only money. lol

Money.gif

Chris M

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XLT Sport 4X4
Occupation
Security Supervisor
From the local tire store I paid $925 for the tires, install, and 3-yr alignment guarantee.
I'd have done Discount tire for these probably but they didn't offer alignment and I wanted all that stuff done at the same place by the same guys.

D Fresh

Banned
Banned
First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Lariat FX4, '17 FiST, '16 CX-5, '95 YJ
Occupation
Milkman
"Best" leaves a lot of room for interpretation.

In my opinion the best "street" tire available is the Falcon Azenis RT615.

You're not gonna find a good "street" tire to "run hard" with the sidewall that we need to stay at the same outside diameter.

One or the other, drop it and hotrod it, or lift it and offroad it.

Why do you think @Doc bought two?

OP
OP
dondonbabyraptor

dondonbabyraptor

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger Lariat
Occupation
I/O Psych MSc student
Brandon, you might be best with two sets for what you're looking for. I love my Nitto Ridge Grapplers and they're pretty aggressive so they're great off road. They still are great on the street too and very quiet but you're not going to get the performance in the street with them you're looking for. Unless you don't care about going off road much look at the ones Chris has.

Hey it's only money. lol

Money.gif
Haha, I have a pair of off-road tires already currently on. Yeah, I need performance on street atm, kinda regret selling my hankooks at $40 a piece now. I do like Chris tread on there, seems like not too many grooves. I am also considering those Falcon mentioned by Doug, that is the ideal tire treading I want. Lots and lots of surface area. However, it's a struggle finding even a good size that fits ours for that tire.

OP
OP
dondonbabyraptor

dondonbabyraptor

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger Lariat
Occupation
I/O Psych MSc student
"Best" leaves a lot of room for interpretation.

In my opinion the best "street" tire available is the Falcon Azenis RT615.

You're not gonna find a good "street" tire to "run hard" with the sidewall that we need to stay at the same outside diameter.

One or the other, drop it and hotrod it, or lift it and offroad it.

Why do you think @Doc bought two?
And you can find these tires in 17/18 wheels? That's the problem I am having, can't find any places that have our truck sizes in stock. These look really really nice, and exactly what I am looking for, for a street tire. I have not lifted my truck, just off-road tires. Going to switch between the off-road tires when little trips come up and street tires 95% of the time.

Reactions: Doc
OP
OP
dondonbabyraptor

dondonbabyraptor

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger Lariat
Occupation
I/O Psych MSc student
Long lasting. Michelin Defender. These are an all round tire. You probably do not get too much rain in San Diego. You may not need a siped tire.

michelin_defenderltxms_owl_194864_vary_jpg_s3_crop_x1000.jpg
Thank you for the suggestion Brian, however, compared to the TerrainContact mentioned above, this looks to have less surface area touching the road and wider grooves.

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
OP
OP
dondonbabyraptor

dondonbabyraptor

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger Lariat
Occupation
I/O Psych MSc student
Message @Discount Tire and see if they can help you.
Thank you Dave, after this thread sits for a while I will look into that. Not in too much of a rush atm since the Falken's will do 95% of everything I want, just sometimes those fast turns and a slight imperfection in the road and my tire jumps/turns a little bit.

Frenchy

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger, 2019 cargo van, soon to be 1993
Occupation
Crown Forklift Technician
Hello all,

Looking at street tires… and there really isn’t much for 18in wheels. Does that change for 17 in wheels? Really the best option might be the hankooks or duelers? Just want a pair of tires I can run really hard on road and a pair for off-road. Noticed if there is a slight road imperfection like a slight crack or bump the off road tires will lose slight traction at turns going 60+. Not the best feeling I would like… I get it, “don’t take the turn as fast” but the hankooks actually didn’t have problems on-road probably because they don’t have those deep grooves or as many. The falkens are amazing off-road though, just can’t push them to a fast on road speed for turns.. straightaway, it’s fine hitting limiter.

Maybe looking to purchase a wheel/tire combo for 17 and 18 in wheels..
@Doc what do you use for tires with your time on the strip?

Warm regards,
Brandon
Even with a good street tire it is possible to have the same results you have now. My suggestion is to get a good All Terrain that will do both just fine. My suggestion, go with the Firestone Destination XT. I have it in 285/70-17. It is available in other sizes and you can get a bigger than stock size without rubbing and not lift/level.

Now you wonder why I chose that tire over others? Well lets just say it does very well for what it is. The sipes are deep and go all the way down the trad blocks, that alone helps with wet traction. No matter what you throw at it offroad it takes it like a champ!! On dry pavement it handles very well and I have no tire noise on the HWY. Can I still spin the tires? You bet I can!! With no load in the back I'm sure I can spin just about any tire. Thats normal for a truck.

Thats my suggestion

0529211359.jpg

0529211359a_HDR.jpg

OP
OP
dondonbabyraptor

dondonbabyraptor

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger Lariat
Occupation
I/O Psych MSc student
Even with a good street tire it is possible to have the same results you have now. My suggestion is to get a good All Terrain that will do both just fine. My suggestion, go with the Firestone Destination XT. I have it in 285/70-17. It is available in other sizes and you can get a bigger than stock size without rubbing and not lift/level.

Now you wonder why I chose that tire over others? Well lets just say it does very well for what it is. The sipes are deep and go all the way down the trad blocks, that alone helps with wet traction. No matter what you throw at it offroad it takes it like a champ!! On dry pavement it handles very well and I have no tire noise on the HWY. Can I still spin the tires? You bet I can!! With no load in the back I'm sure I can spin just about any tire. Thats normal for a truck.

Thats my suggestion

0529211359.jpg

0529211359a_HDR.jpg
Appreciate the insight Chris. The problem is I have tires like these, the Falken WildPeak AT3, lots of grooves. To my surprise, the factory Hankook's never had this problem with the same drives I do every day, they were exceptional road tires but off-road they were average.
Sponsored