Crashbar Removal Cost

Ranger2021

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Tremor.
What is a crashbar, and what would be reasons for removing it?

I ask this for education, and definitely not questioning the OP.

Thanks!
They are in the front and back of your front tires to protect during a collision. They can be replaced with after market ones to give you more room for bigger tires. I replaced mine with the Readylift bars.
IMG_6930.JPG
Sponsored

OFC Ranger

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ZR2
Vehicle Showcase
What is a crashbar, and what would be reasons for removing it?

I ask this for education, and definitely not questioning the OP.

Thanks!
If you look in your wheel well to either side of your wheels you will see, well, bars. Usually the front ones have a plastic sheath. They are generally removed for clearance on lower offset wheels or bigger tires, or a combination of both.

I removd mine because I have 0+ offset RTR wheels with 285/70 rubber and a 2" level still did not provide enough clearance.

mrtimo

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4 SuperCrew
They are in the front and back of your front tires to protect during a collision. They can be replaced with after market ones to give you more room for bigger tires. I replaced mine with the Readylift bars.
Thanks! Googling pointed me to bull bars, which I could tell was not what the discussion here is about.

RecoilOperated

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 F-150 XLT, 2022 Subaru Outback
Occupation
ICU Nurse
Thanks! Googling pointed me to bull bars, which I could tell was not what the discussion here is about.
Then why are they not present on Raptors overseas?

I'm not saying they don't serve a purpose, but I think it has more to do with appeasing US government than being consumer minded.
They are there specifically for the IIHS' cabin intrusion measurement. The bars are supposed to prevent the wheel/tire assembly from absorbing the majority of the energy and being forced upward into the footwell of the cabin during an offset or small-overlap crash.
When the new F-150 debuted in 2015 Ford got negative press for only including crash bars on the SuperCrew which was the model they initially supplied for testing.

https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a...te-results-between-crew-cab-and-extended-cab/

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
Then why are they not present on Raptors overseas?

I'm not saying they don't serve a purpose, but I think it has more to do with appeasing US government than being consumer minded.
They're not on any US Broncos that have the Sasquatch package. The 35's won't fit and somehow Ford has the ok to sell them this way. Maybe paid off someone up in high places? lol

No Crash Bars SAS.jpg

Mmmmmnachos

First Name
Kris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat FX4
Vehicle Showcase
nope, but i charge an hourly rate as a contractor to cover costs.
I dont give anything away for free....no matter how easy someone thinks the job actually is.
More power to you buddy. But any shop looking to charge $500 to remove crash bars any which way to cover whatever costs of business will lose any future business from myself. I would laugh at said quote and definitely wouldn't go back for any other work knowing its probably going to be outrageous as well. To me it just makes the business look bad. Nobody said anything about giving anything away for free. No problem with the shop charging for doing it. But their price? Its just not reasonable.

This is just my real world opinion. I mean who is going to pay $500?! If you did please post here.

OFC Ranger

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ZR2
Vehicle Showcase
More power to you buddy. But any shop looking to charge $500 to remove crash bars any which way to cover whatever costs of business will lose any future business from myself. I would laugh at said quote and definitely wouldn't go back for any other work knowing its probably going to be outrageous as well. To me it just makes the business look bad. Nobody said anything about giving anything away for free. No problem with the shop charging for doing it. But their price? Its just not reasonable.

This is just my real world opinion. I mean who is going to pay $500?! If you did please post here.
The same people who will pay $13,000 for a Roush "performance" package?

rPgksC.gif

Mmmmmnachos

First Name
Kris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat FX4
Vehicle Showcase
paying anything below a quoted price is giving it away for free.
my time is money. I value my money and i charge accordingly for my services.
if you cant grasp supply and demand, then by all means dont ever go to that shop ever again...your loss will not be noticed. sorry to say. someone will fill your spot faster than you can slam the door shut when you walk out angry at the price.
I think you are taking this to a different level and I understand what you are saying. But I'm focusing on removing crash bars. Not talking about businesses charging for doing work in general. Hard work isn't cheap. This isn't hard work though.

I dunno, maybe I'm wrong. I wouldn't pay that though. If you would then fine. We agree to disagree no? We love our trucks though don't we? ;)

OFC Ranger

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ZR2
Vehicle Showcase
I think you are taking this to a different level and I understand what you are saying. But I'm focusing on removing crash bars. Not talking about businesses charging for doing work in general. Hard work isn't cheap. This isn't hard work though.

I dunno, maybe I'm wrong. I wouldn't pay that though. If you would then fine. We agree to disagree no? We love our trucks though don't we? ;)
Some businesses will charge more than their competitors for certain jobs they just don't want to be bothered with. However, they will do those jobs when the sliding bar of work <-> money received veers so far to the money side they are willing to do it.

I won't eat a poop sandwich for $5.

I might take pause and a glimmer of consideration in eating a poop sandwich for $50,000.

I'm literally shoving the poop sandwich down my throat when you place a briefcase with $5,000,000 down on the table in front of me before you can even utter the offer from your lips.

Once the money reaches a critical point I know I can buy one hell of an antibiotic and stomach pumping and I'll live.

Would you muff dive Hillary Clinton for $500? How about $5,000? How about $50,000? How about $500,000?

OFC Ranger

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ZR2
Vehicle Showcase
But seriously in my work we sometimes do what are called "special duties". In a nutshell a private entity or non-affiliated government agency will pay for an off-duty officer to come and generally stand around just as a visual presence / act as security. Examples are school sport games, movie theaters, weddings, and so forth.

Here are my rules;

$30.00 an hour minimum for indoor function, 4 hours minimum regardless if it is a 2 hour function.
$50.00 an hour minimum if it involves being outdoors in the warmer months.
$50.00 an hour minimum if it involves directing traffic (other LE on this board will understand...)

If it is a function that involves juveniles, say a school football game you couldn't possibly pay me enough. I dunno, I might do it for $100.00 an hour, but even still I might turn that money down.

Some shit people don't want to be bothered with.

All that to say this;

@RANGER PRIDE sounds a lot like me. Time is money. There isn't enough hours in the day for everything I need to do and depending what you want me to do, you are going to have to pay a premium if you want me to grace your presence.

Some businesses operate on the same wavelength. Its not malicious in intent, its just how the free market works.

RecoilOperated

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 F-150 XLT, 2022 Subaru Outback
Occupation
ICU Nurse
But seriously in my work we sometimes do what are called "special duties". In a nutshell a private entity or non-affiliated government agency will pay for an off-duty officer to come and generally stand around just as a visual presence / act as security. Examples are school sport games, movie theaters, weddings, and so forth.

Here are my rules;

$30.00 an hour minimum for indoor function, 4 hours minimum regardless if it is a 2 hour function.
$50.00 an hour minimum if it involves being outdoors in the warmer months.
$50.00 an hour minimum if it involves directing traffic (other LE on this board will understand...)

If it is a function that involves juveniles, say a school football game you couldn't possibly pay me enough. I dunno, I might do it for $100.00 an hour, but even still I might turn that money down.

Some shit people don't want to be bothered with.

All that to say this;

@RANGER PRIDE sounds a lot like me. Time is money. There isn't enough hours in the day for everything I need to do and depending what you want me to do, you are going to have to pay a premium if you want me to grace your presence.

Some businesses operate on the same wavelength. Its not malicious in intent, its just how the free market works.
That's fair enough, but I think the issue most people took here is that the work being requested is not particularly specialized, unusual, or time consuming for a half-competent mechanic.

Depending on where you live in the US the average rate for automotive repair is between $90 and $120 per hour plus parts. The tech working on your truck is probably making $25/hr or less which leaves the business owner $70/hr+ to cover their overhead and make some profit. Either this shop thinks it's going to take over 4 hours to remove these bars, which it definitely won't, or they're charging a labor rate somewhere in the realm of $300-$500 per hour.

The free market would dictate that no one will patronize their shop at those rates unless their customers also think a $300 oil change or a $150 tire rotation on a Ranger makes sense too.

JACKSMYDOG

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Lariat FX4 Black
Occupation
Retired
This has nothing to do with covering cost. Their shop rate isn't $500/hour, so it's about not wanting the work, or not wanting the customer.

Either of those are perfectly justifiable in my opinion, and assuming it was because they didn't want that job for personal or legal reason, I may be willing to continue my relationship with them.

On the other hand, if they tried to justify the price by telling me about compressor, lifts and other shop costs, I have no desire to do business with them again.

Hourly rates, and minimum charges are perfectly fine IMO, but if your hourly rate is $100, and then want $500 for 45 minutes work of removing crash bars, it should b explained. "Sir, we don't like removing safety devices for XXXX reason, but if you really need the work done and don't want to send it elsewhere, we would need $500 to cover our feelings".

FunInTheSun

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger XL 4x4, STX, in Velocity Blue
Occupation
Engineer (Semi-Retired)
Vehicle Showcase
yeah, they gotta pay for those shop tools and a lift as well. that shit isnt free either. neither is the air compressor to run them or the lights to see what their doing....you get it though. you're not that dumb to realise all of this.
So you're OK with paying a shop rate of $500 US per hr? By the way, that's $ 627.85 / hr Candian. Good to have guys like you in the world. Keeps all the shops in bizness... LOL
Sponsored