I thought MJ was going to take care of the taxes in CO? LOL

Floyd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Ranger SCab,'16 Connect,'95 MustangGT,'50 Ford
D Fresh said...

"Tags don't come from dealerships here. They come from the State "

.........................................................................................................................................................................................................

:idea:Of course they do here as well! :like:

But the dealer is required to collect taxes, order the title, and order the plates at the point of sale.

Only when buying used from a private party is the buyer allowed to do the process at the DMV.

]

Last edited:

Floyd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Some years ago I quit negotiating the arcane details on a vehicle purchase.
I simply make a cash offer for an "out the door" amount.
I make it clear that I don't care who gets the money as long as I get a clear title with all taxes fees paid ready to legally drive away.
I once rejected a deal because they failed to pay the $10 city sticker, they relented before I reached the door.

OP
OP

D Fresh

Banned
Banned
First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Lariat FX4, '17 FiST, '16 CX-5, '95 YJ
Occupation
Milkman
D Fresh said...

"Tags don't come from dealerships here. They come from the State "

.........................................................................................................................................................................................................

:idea:Of course they do here as well! :like:

But the dealer is required to collect taxes, order the title, and order the plates at the point of sale.

Only when buying used from a private party is the buyer allowed to do the process at the DMV.

]
Well, that's not the case everywhere from reading responses here. I was simply clarifying.
Here they collect taxes, but as DTech and I discussed you sign an affidavit at purchase certifying that the assessed sales tax rate is correct. The ultimate liability lies upon the purchaser.

I'll be picking up paperwork and check for half the tax liability from the dealership this afternoon.

As far as I know, I am allowed to bring in the proper paperwork and pay my taxes. Verified via phone call to DMV. We'll see if that is correct when I bring in paperwork next week.

I've purchased 6 new vehicles in this state, 2 used from dealerships. This is the first I've ever seen a dealership fail to asses the proper tax. It's something new I've now learned to look out for. Just when you thought you knew it all.

OP
OP

D Fresh

Banned
Banned
First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Milkman
I make it clear that I don't care who gets the money as long as I get a clear title with all taxes fees paid ready to legally drive away.
I once rejected a deal because they failed to pay the $10 city sticker, they relented before I reached the door.
I negotiated based on OTD price as well. Which is why I feel that while the legal obligation may be mine the moral obligation is theirs.

Your DMV must be better than ours. If we waited for "clear title with all taxes and fees paid ready to legally drive away," here we'd be picking up new cars a month after doing the deal.

NickTheEnforcer

First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT Sport 4x4, 2020 Ford Escape Hybrid SE Sport AWD, 2009 Dodge Ram Big Horn Crew 4x4 HEMI
Occupation
Residential Construction Project Development & Purchasing.
nice,
I used to use the ploy where I'd roll into the stealership and walk into the showroom and shout, "Who wants to sell a car today?!"... My wife was dumbfounded how they ran past each other to get to me first, if I woulda handed out helmets and bats I could have had quite the entertaining day!

The sales manager and F/I manager pulled me aside as said while they personally 'hate' when customers do that they said it was a nice kick in the A$$ for their team to see them move that fast all at once! :) They gave me free running boards on that stunt.

One time I got absolutely NO response at all, the place was crickets slow and the sales manager was at the reception desk facing the front door, he grinned and looked around after about 15 seconds with not one sales person engaged I shouted, 'Later Bit***s!' and left.

The Sales Mgr. got in a car and chased me down, I was at the third light from the place when he waived me over, Frank said he thought his team must have thought it was a prank; i guess the owner was known for doing stuff like that. Anyways he called the owner and got a great deal authorized right then and there and I closed the deal directly with him. I was in F/I when the team was called into the conference room to get on a group phone call with ownership, I felt bad b/c he literally read them the riot act...

I guess I'm a bit sadistic at my core, I was always a bit twisted and the military just encouraged it a bit more. I just believe what's the best way to cut thru all the grimy-sh*t to the real issue.

OP
OP

D Fresh

Banned
Banned
First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Milkman
nice,
I used to use the ploy where I'd roll into the stealership and walk into the showroom and shout, "Who wants to sell a car today?!"... My wife was dumbfounded how they ran past each other to get to me first, if I woulda handed out helmets and bats I could have had quite the entertaining day!

The sales manager and F/I manager pulled me aside as said while they personally 'hate' when customers do that they said it was a nice kick in the A$$ for their team to see them move that fast all at once! :) They gave me free running boards on that stunt.

One time I got absolutely NO response at all, the place was crickets slow and the sales manager was at the reception desk facing the front door, he grinned and looked around after about 15 seconds with not one sales person engaged I shouted, 'Later Bit***s!' and left.

The Sales Mgr. got in a car and chased me down, I was at the third light from the place when he waived me over, Frank said he thought his team must have thought it was a prank; i guess the owner was known for doing stuff like that. Anyways he called the owner and got a great deal authorized right then and there and I closed the deal directly with him. I was in F/I when the team was called into the conference room to get on a group phone call with ownership, I felt bad b/c he literally read them the riot act...

I guess I'm a bit sadistic at my core, I was always a bit twisted and the military just encouraged it a bit more. I just believe what's the best way to cut thru all the grimy-sh*t to the real issue.
I've considered that approach before bit never had the cajones to do it.

I am definitely doing this next purchase!

OP
OP

D Fresh

Banned
Banned
First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Milkman
I've considered that approach before bit never had the cajones to do it.

I am definitely doing this next purchase!
Or maybe I'll yell,

"Who wants to sell a car today, that knows how to calculate sales tax!"

Floyd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I negotiated based on OTD price as well. Which is why I feel that while the legal obligation may be mine the moral obligation is theirs.

Your DMV must be better than ours. If we waited for "clear title with all taxes and fees paid ready to legally drive away," here we'd be picking up new cars a month after doing the deal.
Well it can't be much better... I'm in IllAnnoy.
We have Chicago... you have Denver. Both of us would be in wonderful States without those tails which wag the dogs.

Title is secured and ordered the day of purchase, as are the plates. The title will come in the mail from the Sec of State when they get around to it.

Last edited:

HenryMac

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 SuperCab XL - FX4 - Magnetic - Rocksliders
Occupation
Mech. Engineer - Retired
.... If we waited for "clear title with all taxes and fees paid ready to legally drive away," here we'd be picking up new cars a month after doing the deal.
Interesting that you say that. I'm also in Colorado, and it took exactly a month to get my title.

Floyd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tactics like this is why outfits like Carvana are getting popular.

You may pay more but there is no dealer bickering BS.

You see the price, pay the price, enjoy your vehicle.

Hope you get this worked out OP.
What??? "Bickering" is half the fun!!

dtech

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger Lariat FX4, chromed and forever damperless
In Colorado I don't see the the value of negotiating on an otd price, I prefer to do it off of the sticker. The taxes are going to vary on where you reside and the dealer doesn't pay those just collects for the state and muni. Now I can see how an unscrupulous dealer could well underestimate the tax to get the deal done - knowing full well you and not the dealership are going to be on the hook to pay the correct taxes,
I don't see an advantage of working from the otd price - am I missing something ?

HenryMac

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 SuperCab XL - FX4 - Magnetic - Rocksliders
Occupation
Mech. Engineer - Retired
In Colorado I don't see the the value of negotiating on an otd price, I prefer to do it off of the sticker. The taxes are going to vary on where you reside and the dealer doesn't pay those just collects for the state and muni. Now I can see how an unscrupulous dealer could well underestimate the tax to get the deal done - knowing full well you and not the dealership are going to be on the hook to pay the correct taxes,
I don't see an advantage of working from the otd price - am I missing something ?
Sometimes the dealers add fee's, fuel charges, yadda, yadda, yadda.

Just gotta be sure to look out for those.
Sponsored