Any 2wd owners put in an aftermarket locket yet?

gbritt89

First Name
Garret
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger STX
Vehicle Showcase
The only member I had been in touch with to have done the ARB locker install has been MIA for a while. Just wondering if anyone else had done it yet and what their experiences were.
Sponsored

Reactions: Doc
OP
OP
gbritt89

gbritt89

First Name
Garret
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger STX
Vehicle Showcase
I've been looking into one myself. But by the time I spend a $1,300 on an ARB locker with the air compressor and manifold kit plus ARB recommends using new gears which would probably put it closer to $2K. Then still have to add labor to it. I might just wait until I can find a whole factory Ford axle with an electronic locker from a wreck. I could swap that out myself in a couple hours then just have to wire up the locker to a switch.
If you ever do that please post back and let me know, I have considered that route as well but don't like doing the pioneer work. If I recall correctly the fx2 and locker equipped models from the factory also have a safety that prevents them from being engaged at a certain speed, and automatically disconnects them at 15mph so they don't grenade themselves which would be my main item of concern if this was feasible.

I pioneered 1 project (as far as I know) on this truck and that was enough for me lol.

SOHK_Alumni

First Name
Win
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger, 2019 Ranger FX4, 2002 Vanden Plas, 1977 Eclat
Occupation
Glorified Mechanic
Rather than a locker, I've been looking at adding a limited slip to mine.

Both Crown and Spicer make a limited slip carrier that should go in. No wiring, compressors etc to worry about.

Been thinking to cruise the Jeep world for a LSD takeoff from someone who went locker. Even new, should be about a grand, and a used takeoff a lot less.

OP
OP
gbritt89

gbritt89

First Name
Garret
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger STX
Vehicle Showcase
Rather than a locker, I've been looking at adding a limited slip to mine.

Both Crown and Spicer make a limited slip carrier that should go in. No wiring, compressors etc to worry about.

Been thinking to cruise the Jeep world for a LSD takeoff from someone who went locker. Even new, should be about a grand, and a used takeoff a lot less.

Do you have part numbers for any LSD's for the wrangler m220's? I would gladly reach out to any of the manufacturers and see if they are compatible and post back here with any findings!

SOHK_Alumni

First Name
Win
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Glorified Mechanic
Do you have part numbers for any LSD's for the wrangler m220's? I would gladly reach out to any of the manufacturers and see if they are compatible and post back here with any findings!
Spicer 10071926, Crown 68401154AA

OP
OP
gbritt89

gbritt89

First Name
Garret
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger STX
Vehicle Showcase
Spicer 10071926, Crown 68401154AA
Thanks! The spicer PN looks to be discontinued so i'll contact Crowns technical support people Monday hopefully and post back! The offering from crown looks promising, and cost-wise I think it would be reasonable to say parts wise between R+P and whatever rebuild components and the unit itself one would could get everything gathered for under a grand which would make it less than 1500$ easily at a reputable shop.

notabumblebee

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT 4x2
Watching this thread, I’m interested in a LSD or Torsen diff for my 2wd.

Not much aftermarket support unfortunately.

SOHK_Alumni

First Name
Win
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Glorified Mechanic
Thanks! The spicer PN looks to be discontinued so i'll contact Crowns technical support people Monday hopefully and post back! The offering from crown looks promising, and cost-wise I think it would be reasonable to say parts wise between R+P and whatever rebuild components and the unit itself one would could get everything gathered for under a grand which would make it less than 1500$ easily at a reputable shop.
If 10071926 is discontinued, look to Spicer's 10136025

OP
OP
gbritt89

gbritt89

First Name
Garret
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger STX
Vehicle Showcase
If 10071926 is discontinued, look to Spicer's 10136025

I contacted Dana and Crown Automotive today through their websites asking for guidance if either of them could help in regards to these units that are made for the wrangler m220 rears but not cross listed for the current '19+ rangers using the m220 rear. Will report back with any findings!

If others did the same it would probably show there is market interest, or at least raise the chances of someone getting a reply!

OP
OP
gbritt89

gbritt89

First Name
Garret
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger STX
Vehicle Showcase
Response from crown automotive technical support

"Hello Garret, only Dana corporation can answer that question. I can find no indication that the OE Jeep 220 axle parts will interchange with the Ford Ranger axle. With gear ratios, spline counts and ABS systems to deal with this is not the 1960 or 1970's where any brand Dana parts interchange. This is the Jeep OE part number for that axle, and the Dana part# is 10071926 for that LSD. Their tech's will not discuss this unless you have the Dana bill of material number for your axle, and without that they will not discuss anything. It is usually stamped on the right hand axle tube facing rear or upward. Usually a seven digit all numerical code. Good luck"

Will get back to bugging Dana if I don't hear from them in the next couple days. Anyone know if the M220 in the jeep JL's rear axle have the same spline count as our rangers?

P. A. Schilke

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4 Lariat 4x4, 2020 Lincoln Nautilus, 2005 Alfa Motorhome
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Response from crown automotive technical support

"Hello Garret, only Dana corporation can answer that question. I can find no indication that the OE Jeep 220 axle parts will interchange with the Ford Ranger axle. With gear ratios, spline counts and ABS systems to deal with this is not the 1960 or 1970's where any brand Dana parts interchange. This is the Jeep OE part number for that axle, and the Dana part# is 10071926 for that LSD. Their tech's will not discuss this unless you have the Dana bill of material number for your axle, and without that they will not discuss anything. It is usually stamped on the right hand axle tube facing rear or upward. Usually a seven digit all numerical code. Good luck"

Will get back to bugging Dana if I don't hear from them in the next couple days. Anyone know if the M220 in the jeep JL's rear axle have the same spline count as our rangers?
Hi Garret,

How about Ford 9" 28 spline vs 31...no way to tell...buy a 28 spline axle shaft and find out it does not fit in the side gears. Relative to Jeep...it sounds like someone will have to bite the bullet and buy a diff and see if it fits. This info will leak out over time in the aftermarket but you have to envision that someone is trying to move a rope by pushing on it....Rope 1 pusher 0.

Best,
Phil Schilke
Ranger Vehicle Engineering
Ford Motor Co. Retired

jss81258

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger Lariat 4x4, 2004 Chevrolet Corvette Z06
Occupation
Fixed equipment inspector
Hi Garret,

How about Ford 9" 28 spline vs 31...no way to tell...buy a 28 spline axle shaft and find out it does not fit in the side gears. Relative to Jeep...it sounds like someone will have to bite the bullet and buy a diff and see if it fits. This info will leak out over time in the aftermarket but you have to envision that someone is trying to move a rope by pushing on it....Rope 1 pusher 0.

Best,
Phil Schilke
Ranger Vehicle Engineering
Ford Motor Co. Retired
Yes, but......
You can look at it to tell if it's a high nodular iron third member, if it is, then it's "usually" set up for 31 spline axles. ?

Wannabe_spek

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT
Occupation
RCAF AVN Technician
So if I'm reading ARB's data correctly, would these screen shots not indicate that the lsd could be interchangable between a jl jeep wrangler non-rubicon and the ford ranger? Has the same spline count (32) and works for all ratios.

Screenshot_20210329-213746_Chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20210329-213739_Chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20210329-212639_Chrome.jpg

SOHK_Alumni

First Name
Win
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Glorified Mechanic
I'm about ready to pull the diff cover, check the spline count, take some basic measurements and check the ring gear.

I've read the ring gear is welded to the carrier and want to verify.

If so, I'll probably order a set of 4.1:1 gears with the lsd if the spline count is really 32.

With the tire size, the lower ratio is not unreasonable and with an lsd, should really liven up the initial acceleration experiance. Yea, a hit in highway fuel economy but with the 10 speed transmission, probably little impact around town if the go pedal is used judicially. (Big IF!!!)

Sheepdog

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger SuperCrew 4x2 XL
Occupation
Retired police officer
After looking into the expenses of adding a locker to a 4x2, we redoubled our search efforts and found a unicorn- a 4x2 Ranger equipped with the factory electronic locking rear differential, sitting on a lot at a dealer 90 miles away. We bought it the next day. Saved us a ton of money.
Sponsored