BowWow

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger
IMG_20200819_141338~2.jpg

Still on the dealer's lot, waiting for PDI and PPF and stuff. I'm working 9 hours away from home, and it's killing me! Can't wait to get home and finally drive the beast!

I've been spending far too much time on this forum, and have picked up some ideas for making it mine. I thought I'd start a thread to record the progress, mainly for me to track the history. But y'all are welcome to check it out as I go! Here's my current To-do and Wish List, in no particular order:

Parts Installed
- American Soft Tonneau Cover - installed
- Bushwacker Rocker Panel Covers - installed
- FORScan cable - love it!
- Husky Mud Flaps - installed
- Bluetooth OBDII scanner - installed
- LED puddle lights - installed
- Center console tray - installed
- Husky Floor Mats - installed
- Rough Country Bed Mat - installed
- Under hood light - installed
- LED bed lights - to be installed

Parts Ordered
- Eibach coilovers and rear shocks - ordered
- 275/70 R18 Falken Wildpeaks - received

Parts to Order
- Trailer Brake Controller
- Running boards? Rock sliders? (I drive on a lot of gravel/muddy roads)
- Catch Can - decided against this
- Tailgate assist (hee hee!)
- Tailgate Seal
- Tailgate and Grill Letters
- Smoke Side Markers
- Aeroskin Hood Protector?
- Putco Grille Insert

Tasks
- Install wheel spacers
- Move wheelwell crash bars forward
- Install struts and rear shocks
- Mods to Ford Ovals, fender emblems
- Paint crossbar on front grille
- Forscan mods - See Post #3
- Auto window for passenger side

Completed Tasks
- Install tonneau cover (what a pain that was!) - done
- Debadge and desticker - done
- Remove rear headrests and stash behind seat - done
- Tow strap and jumper cables - done
- Measure fenders for baseline measurements for lift - done, see post #2
- Install mud flaps and rocker covers - done, see post #4

I'm thinking of whiting out the fender vents and possibly part of the grill - sort of reverse-murder the trim. We shall see...

I'm sure there's more (it's pretty well never-ending, isn't it!), and I'll add as I go. I'll reserve the next several spots so it'll be mostly together at the beginning...
Sponsored

Last edited:
OP
OP
BowWow

BowWow

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger
Benchmark photos - yup, she's in MY hands now!!!

Fender measurements - flat ground, measured at center of wheel from ground to bottom of fender...

Left​
Right​
Front​
35.25​
35.75​
Rear​
37.75​
38.25​

As you can see, I have the dreaded Ranger Sag - 1/2" lower on the left. My Eibach 2.0 shocks will allow me to balance the front. Not sure what to do about the rear. Also, it looks like a 2" raise in the front will give me a 1/2" rake. I'll have to see what it looks like with the bigger tires to decide if I need more lift...
IMG_20200827_170139~2.jpg
IMG_20200827_170002~3.jpg
IMG_20200827_170024~2.jpg
IMG_20200827_170153~2.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
BowWow

BowWow

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger
FORScan Mods

BdyCM Module

- Double honk on leaving cabin - disabled
- Fog lights if High Beam is on (Bambi mode) - enabled
- BMS/Auto Stop Start System - disabled
- Auto Relock Time duration - 45 seconds
- Panic Activate - Double click
IPC Module
- Climate menu - Enabled
- Climate screen repeater - Enabled
- Chimes vehicle running with door open - disabled
- Hill Start Assist - disabled
- Instantaneous Fuel Economy Numerical Gauge - enabled
-Traffic Sign Recognition - enabled (not yet sure what this does...)

Last edited:
Reactions: Doc
OP
OP
BowWow

BowWow

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger
Tonneau cover by American Tonneau Covers. Fits well, but the most difficult install I've done so far. The clamps kinda suck, and adjusting the tension at the front is pretty fussy - you have a block with 4 positions, so you have to roll the top up, pull a pin, pull the block, reposition it, put the pin back in, then repeat on the other side, and hope you picked the right position on the block. But it's low profile, seals up well, and fits nicely. Just be sure to get your side rails exactly equal on both sides...

IMG_20200907_184616.jpg

Husky mud flaps and Bushwhacker rocker guards were the project for today. Both fit remarkably well and installed easily. Well, the clips for the mud flaps were a pain to install...

IMG_20200907_184549~3.jpg

IMG_20200907_184529~2.jpg

Last edited:

FULLSCALE

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4 Supercrew, 2011 Mazda 3 Sport GT-E, 1968 Ford Mustang
Sounds like a good plan so far. Is your truck Oxford white or White Platinum?

OP
OP
BowWow

BowWow

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger
It's Oxford. I couldn't find a platinum white, which I slightly prefer. As it is, my dealer had to go 3 hours away to find this one for me. I really wanted, among other things, the tan (Putty? I actually haven't seen it in person yet!) leather interior instead of the black...

Actually, your truck was the inspiration for many of my projects, so thanks for leading the way! I've read your build thread several times for ideas!

OP
OP
BowWow

BowWow

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger
Today was decal and sticker day. I ordered both black and white letters for the dash, and tried the black R first. It totally disappeared! I could barely notice a difference. I think if I'd done all the letters it may have been somewhat visible. Or perhaps from the passenger seat. I looked at it for about 10 seconds and peeled it off. Went with the white, and I'm kinda diggin' it!

IMG_20200917_190923~2.jpg

IMG_20200917_191133~2.jpg

Many thanks to TVD Vinyl Decals for quick mailing, clear, detailed instructions, and sending a few extra letters to practice with!

Here's the link: TVD Vinyl Decals

I ordered a couple of Canadian Flag stickers from TVD as well, one for the Ranger (the little one) and one for the big one (Ram 2500)...
IMG_20200917_191700.jpg

TVD also sent flat black letters for the grille. I installed them in the dark, so didn't get a good photo. I was a bit worried because I have a Magnetic grille - same color as the dash - and the letters I ordered are black. They didn't work out on the dash, but they actually look really good on the grille. Very understated, exactly what I was looking for. I'll grab a photo tomorrow to post.

OP
OP
BowWow

BowWow

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger
Here's a shot (ignore the bugs, please!) of the flat black letters on a magnetic grille. Very subtle...
IMG_20200918_175348~2.jpg

I may spend a few bucks on a set of flat white letters and see how that looks. Or not...

OP
OP
BowWow

BowWow

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger
Tailpipe blackout...
IMG_20200918_175545~2.jpg

IMG_20200918_175604~2.jpg

I had a nearly empty rattle can of satin black, thought I'd see what it looks like. Painted the tail pipe up to the resonator, but left the resonator unpainted.

Eventually I'll probably install a cat-back one into two system, but for now I think this will do. I agree that the stock galvanized pipe just blunt cut isn't very worthy of this truck. Even if they'd just done a slant cut on the raw galvanized pipe it'd have been better. Oh well...

UODATE: Rattle can paint lasted exactly one snowstorm. The slush/road spray blasted the paint right off. Oh well. The black does look better than the raw galvanized pipe. May have to look into an add-on tip...

Last edited:

BCRanger

First Name
Miles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Ranger Lariat FX4 2020
Occupation
Software
Very cool! Just getting mine now, Lariat FX4 in Platinum White! Had to get it from three hours away too. It looks like you have sport package but straight Lariat wheels? Wish I had the magnetic grill but got the chrome.

And if it isn't rude to ask, curious if you were able to get off MSRP on it or just incentives..?

cfhgarza

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Magnetic XLT 301A
Occupation
Press and weld set-up
Here's a shot (ignore the bugs, please!) of the flat black letters on a magnetic grille. Very subtle...
IMG_20200918_175348~2.jpg

I may spend a few bucks on a set of flat white letters and see how that looks. Or not...
That badge overlay looks great. Just ordered a set after seeing yours

OP
OP
BowWow

BowWow

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger
Very cool! Just getting mine now, Lariat FX4 in Platinum White! Had to get it from three hours away too. It looks like you have sport package but straight Lariat wheels? Wish I had the magnetic grill but got the chrome.

And if it isn't rude to ask, curious if you were able to get off MSRP on it or just incentives..?
I got the you-pay-what-we-pay employee pricing incentive, and my dealer was very generous with my trade-in allowance. No other incentives.

OP
OP
BowWow

BowWow

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger
That badge overlay looks great. Just ordered a set after seeing yours
Be aware that it's just a sticker that goes over the badge. It fits well, but you have to be very exact with your placement. I missed on the first try, and was able to peel it off and reposition it, but I'm still just a shade high. I used a hair dryer to heat it to help it stick, and rubbed it quite a bit around the letters to get it to stick in the tight places. I'll probably end up getting the actual emblems. I wanted to see how this color scheme would look with the magnetic color. I like it!
Sponsored