2019 Ranger prone to fuel making its.way into oil?

DavidR

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT Supercab Saber FX4
Occupation
Engineer
It's extremely easy. Don't worry about it.
Yeah, the filter is pretty easy. If you have an FX4, another minor nuisance is needing to remove the skid plate so the oil drains cleanly. If you install a Fumoto drain valve in place of the drain plug, you won't need to hassle with that in the future.
Sponsored

SGT_Rock6

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XLT Sport
Occupation
Teacher
Hi John,

The percentage of Rangers with problems such as indicated is very small, but I cannot say what that percentage is. There were a batch of faulty injectors and a few high pressure pump replacements under warranty. Please research the threads on this topic.

I am of the "biased" opinion that the Ranger is a competitive offering in today's market and hope you can test drive some Rangers to help you make your decision.

Best,
Phil Schilke
Ranger Vehicle Engineering
Ford Motor Co. Retired
I would second this suggestion. I test drove a Tacoma and I REALLY wanted to like it but it honestly was a terrible test drive. The EcoBoost engines have a very good track record and have been around for about 10 years and have proven themselves to be reliable over the long term. These aren't the turbo engines from 20 years ago.

Good luck in whatever you decide.
I’m glad to hear More about Ranger reliability. Just bought a 2020 Ranger in July. I love the way it drives (I’m a die hard Tacoma owner but couldn’t pass on the BIG trailer towing capacity). I went into this deal FEARFULLY! I really dislike the transmission whine @ 1500-2000 RPM, and feel scammed re: that, but everything else is good.
I plan to baby the Turbos (unless it is good to “stomp on it” every once in a while.) And plan to change oil every 5k religiously. We’ll see if it will meet the longevity I have experienced with Tacoma’s.

DavidR

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT Supercab Saber FX4
Occupation
Engineer
I’m glad to hear More about Ranger reliability. Just bought a 2020 Ranger in July. I love the way it drives (I’m a die hard Tacoma owner but couldn’t pass on the BIG trailer towing capacity). I went into this deal FEARFULLY! I really dislike the transmission whine @ 1500-2000 RPM, and feel scammed re: that, but everything else is good.
I plan to baby the Turbos (unless it is good to “stomp on it” every once in a while.) And plan to change oil every 5k religiously. We’ll see if it will meet the longevity I have experienced with Tacoma’s.
It's kinda hard to evaluate reliability of the current model since it has only been out one year, and there are significant differences between it and its cousins that have been sold elsewhere; however, the vehicle that our new Ranger is replacing is a '93 Ranger with ~260,000 miles. Over that time period, it needed a few repairs that you might expect, like the starter motor, spark plug wires, and maybe one or two other things I'm not remembering. The only really big thing that failed (partially) was the transmission, but it happened at 212,000 miles and it didn't leave us stranded since 1st, 2nd, 3rd, and reverse still worked. I admit this is only one data point, though we also had an '89 Aerostar with similar long-term reliability.

Having said that, a lot depends on how you maintain it. As with most vehicles, once you get past the first 10,000 miles or so where most early failures occur, it becomes much more about maintenance and care. I think that the variation due to maintenance and care is probably wider than the variation in inherent quality between brands. I've also always accelerated many of the maintenance items, like you're planning to do. Doing that is hotly debated here in the forums, with staunch defenders on both sides of the issue, but over the dozen or so vehicles I've owned, I believe it has payed off in long term reliability at the cost of buying more oil, coolant, etc.

Note: Our 2019 Ranger's transmission doesn't make whining noises other than in reverse. Have you had the dealer check it out or searched around for it?

Hounddog409

First Name
Tod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
Vehicle Showcase
There is a thread on this forum where a user states or indicates a widespread problem with gas leaking into crankcase diluting the oil is this true do any of you have this issue it's the one issue that has caused me to do pass on this truck
Widespread??? Not even close.

P. A. Schilke

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4 Lariat 4x4, 2020 Lincoln Nautilus, 2005 Alfa Motorhome
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase
There is a thread on this forum where a user states or indicates a widespread problem with gas leaking into crankcase diluting the oil is this true do any of you have this issue it's the one issue that has caused me to do pass on this truck
Your analogy is totally wrong. It is more like picking one fly shit out of a bottle of pepper. The use of inflammatory statements requires you to support the statement with hard and true data. Clearly a Taco troll without backing of this statement with data.

Best,
Phil Schilke
Ranger Vehicle Engineering
Ford Motor Co. Retired

OP
OP
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota corolla
Occupation
Window cleaner
My 17 Taco has the frame rust issues also,so they havent addressed that yet. Ill take the tempo fuel in oil situation over a bent rotten frame in a few years! Look at u tube videos where people take truck in for oil change and when on lift the truck folds in half.
Add me to the small percentage just took a 1500 mile sample..smells like strong fuel, 1st time 2.8 on the fuel at 3000 miles. So we shall see, I marked it for change at 2000 on the next one.
Regards
Ok to give update i ended up buying the tacoma because whether or not fuel in oil was only.affecting a small batch that was too much to.overcome. the frame.rot on toyota.they solved this by spraying.the undercarriage from factory. I just got mine ziebarted so i.should be fine

Cape Cruiser

First Name
Bret
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
31 Ford-20 Ranger Lariat FX4- 19 Ranger Lariat 4x2
Occupation
retired mechanic
Ok to give update i ended up buying the tacoma because whether or not fuel in oil was only.affecting a small batch that was too much to.overcome. the frame.rot on toyota.they solved this by spraying.the undercarriage from factory. I just got mine ziebarted so i.should be fine
Good luck. The frame must be done every year per toyota

landiscarrier

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger Lariat, Focus ST
Occupation
Sales
Yikes.
rare fuel in oil problem vs common truck folding in half.
Hmm, decisions decisions.
Yup......I have 3 buddies that have Tacoma's, they are nice but for me they are uncomfortable to be in. The seating position is "car like". But to each their own!

Doc

First Name
Doc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 HPP Mustang, 2021 Ranger STX,2022 Subaru WRX
Occupation
Retired
This is a Ranger Forum..your Tacoma response is not Relevant here..

Tiny

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger FX4 Lariat, color Saber, all the bells and whistles
Occupation
Retired
Well Marathonrunner ran?‍♂ past the best midsize truck, Ranger dealership and ran?‍♂ into not so best Toyota dealership---looks like Marathonrunner lost the race, in fact came in last :eek:

geophb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger
Occupation
Mechanical Engineer
Well Marathonrunner ran?‍♂ past the best midsize truck, Ranger dealership and ran?‍♂ into not so best Toyota dealership---looks like Marathonrunner lost the race, in fact came in last :eek:
Yep. Probably thought "slow and steady wins the race" also applies to trucks.
Sponsored