What are the potential trouble spots in the new 2019 Ranger?

FordBlueHeart

First Name
Torr
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 F250 King Ranch 6.0l
Occupation
Collision Repair Estimator
I would prefer that the technicians never saw my vehicle to begin with.

So, when a trusted friend and senior tech who also is avid in the racing community tells me that EcoBoost equipped trucks show up at the shop far more frequently than N/A powered trucks do, that says all I need to know.
Well, my trusted friend and senior tech told me that they've never had a 6.0 liter diesel come back after studding the heads and replacing the headgaskets...:facepalm:, yet I just ordered new o-ringed heads.:flag:
Sponsored

Rinn69

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat SuperCrew 4x4 Lightning Blue
Occupation
Retired USAF MSgt
Vehicle Showcase
Well, my trusted friend and senior tech told me that they've never had a 6.0 liter diesel come back after studding the heads and replacing the headgaskets...:facepalm:, yet I just ordered new o-ringed heads.:flag:
Might be true....if they used ARP headbolts.

FordBlueHeart

First Name
Torr
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 F250 King Ranch 6.0l
Occupation
Collision Repair Estimator
Might be true....if they used ARP headbolts.
They are ARP. Since then, ARP has come out with a higher strength option for those who might use their truck specifically for racing.

AirForceGuy

First Name
JC
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FCA
Maybe not an issue, but instead a "what we would like to see change" comment...

For me, as I do the build: No 110v with a spray in bedliner? Come on! Lame.

Maybe a new thread?

Andy

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat / 2019 Volvo XC60 T6 Inscription

Maybe a new thread?
I bet you we can buy the 110v outlet and install it with no issue. I’d have to find a part number to look into it more and see if the inverter is part of the plug assembly or if it’s remotely mounted somewhere else. Most likely a sealed unit, other issue would be the availability of wiring provisions for the accessory.

skibuff

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2009 Ford Escape / 2019 Ford Ranger XLT Lighting Blue

Maybe a new thread?
The demo truck I drove had the bed liner with power to the bed and is was only a 12 outlet there was not 110 to the bed.

DHare

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat - Saber; 2020 Ford Edge - Rapid Red
Occupation
Retired

Floyd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Ranger SCab,'16 Connect,'95 MustangGT,'50 Ford
just to reassure
So far the Ranger is checking all the boxes in terms of our needs. Including good gas mileage, flat towable 4 wheels down behind our diesel motorhome, plenty of power with the 2.3 engine/10 speed trans. Most components seem proven in other vehicles like the 2.3 in the Mustang, 10 speed trans in the F150 and Dana axles. The Sync 3 also has Apple/Android carplay and seems to get good reviews. Price is ok but uncomfortable close to the 2.7 F150

However, as we learned in the beginning of the new 2018 JL Jeep Wrangler history there can be major problems like missed welds, and a poor steering box design that results in major drivability problems for some units (sawing at the wheel and death wobble). What problems might await us on the new Ranger? What about engine issues related to coking of the valves due to no throttle body fuel injection? Or seat comfort issues (like the Tacoma has). Will the small 5' bed in the 4 door Ranger allow loading a full size motorcycle? And the big unknown is ride comfort and highway cruising comfort. The Australian market reviews rates this truck generally superior to the Hilux (except in resale value)....will we see similar success in the US?

Please share your particular concerns on the new Ranger....like the new Jeep Wrangler...it looked great until the first units hit the owners and them the problems began...well documented on YouTube. I have high hopes that this is not the case and my buying decision will come down to first adopter owner reviews.
Just to reassure you, I have bought 14 new Fords over the last 50 years and have spent exactly $11 in unscheduled maintenance total over the first 100,000 miles.( electric choke failure 1977Pinto)
This does not count a couple of minor recalls or my1976 Econoline which was delivered with a faulty power steering pump.
I rest easy anticipating the best vehicle I have ever owned... Again!
One caveat, as Paul Simon said.... " everything put together, sooner or later falls apart" That includes me and you too!

RodSlinger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Dakota
Something to be aware of with the keyless Start/Stop button on some models: https://www.usatoday.com/story/money/cars/2019/01/09/auto-theft-key-fobs/2385559002/
This article is somewhat misleading. A key sentence to note in the article.....

"All thieves need to do is find a car where someone left the key inside, push the start button and hit the gas."

They imply the keyfob is the problem. This applies to any car. Just replace start button with ignition switch. It's just common sense to not leave your keys in the car. Especially don't leave your car running unattended unless it is designed to do so by something like remote start systems that prevent regular drive-off without the keys.

I think what the article isn't identifying is why the pushbutton start vehicles are getting taken more often. It is MUCH faster to just open the door and push the button to test versus the time needed to see if the keys to start the regular car are hidden somewhere before you can try to take the car. If the vehicles have the proximity entry and the lock button on the door handle it just makes the process that much faster. You just walk down a row of cars pressing door lock buttons and see which one opens up, jump in and go. You could check 20 proximity type key vehicles in the time you would spend searching one regular car for the ignition key.

There are other ways to take proximity key vehicles without the key in it but that is a different story and a different problem.

To fix this problem, don't leave your keys in the car. Any type of keys.

jsphlynch

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XL
just to reassure
Just to reassure you, I have bought 14 new Fords over the last 50 years and have spent exactly $11 in unscheduled maintenance total over the first 100,000 miles.( electric choke failure 1977Pinto)
This does not count a couple of minor recalls or my1976 Econoline which was delivered with a faulty power steering pump.
I rest easy anticipating the best vehicle I have ever owned... Again!
One caveat, as Paul Simon said.... " everything put together, sooner or later falls apart" That includes me and you too!
A pretty big part of my interest in the Ranger is that I have been driving one for over 15 years, and in that time my unscheduled maintenance has been: new vacuum line, new u-joint, new stabilizer linkers. Total cost of repairs in those 15 years is under $100. I think that when it comes to pickups, Ford has a pretty good handle on what they're doing.

Tinsoldieroh

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Had an'86, a '94, and an '05. Left with wife's jeep until the '19 arrives
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase

"All thieves need to do is find a car where someone left the key inside, push the start button and hit the gas."

They imply the keyfob is the problem. This applies to any car. Just replace start button with ignition switch. It's just common sense to not leave your keys in the car. Especially don't leave your car running unattended unless it is designed to do so by something like remote start systems that prevent regular drive-off without the keys.

I think what the article isn't identifying is why the pushbutton start vehicles are getting taken more often. It is MUCH faster to just open the door and push the button to test versus the time needed to see if the keys to start the regular car are hidden somewhere before you can try to take the car. If the vehicles have the proximity entry and the lock button on the door handle it just makes the process that much faster. You just walk down a row of cars pressing door lock buttons and see which one opens up, jump in and go. You could check 20 proximity type key vehicles in the time you would spend searching one regular car for the ignition key.

There are other ways to take proximity key vehicles without the key in it but that is a different story and a different problem.

They don't talk about the key-less key pad. you can use it, if you have one to override the fob. which is why you have one on a push button start car.

DHare

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat - Saber; 2020 Ford Edge - Rapid Red
Occupation
Retired

Good point - simply don't leave your keys in the car. Those who aren't used to having this type of proximity key fob may have never thought of the danger of leaving their key fob in the car (my wife will have to stop leaving her purse in the truck) - both for starting the car as well as ease of opening the door. Several members have indicated their new truck must have the keypad entry system so they can go swimming, kayaking, hiking, etc. without carrying their keys with them. They should be aware of this danger if they have a key fob and leave it in the truck.

rduvall

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Altima
Good point - simply don't leave your keys in the car. Those who aren't used to having this type of proximity key fob may have never thought of the danger of leaving their key fob in the car (my wife will have to stop leaving her purse in the truck) - both for starting the car as well as ease of opening the door. Several members have indicated their new truck must have the keypad entry system so they can go swimming, kayaking, hiking, etc. without carrying their keys with them. They should be aware of this danger if they have a key fob and leave it in the truck.
I have now driven a car with push button tech for the past 9 years. The key doesn't leave my pocket so there is never the potential to leave it in the vehicle. One thing most people don't think of is that these vehicles simply won't lock if they sense the key fob is inside the vehicle. You can tell it to lock and it will lock, but shortly after you will hear it unlock. It is a bit misleading but it does keep you from locking your keys in your vehicle.

The real reason these push button ignition vehicles are being stolen isn't the tech.

khyros

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat Crewcab FX4
Vehicle Showcase
I've been leaving my keys in my push button Escape for 6 years now without a problem. You use the keypad on the door to lock the vehicle (push 7-8 & 9-0 at the same time). This disables the passive entry aspect, allowing you to lock your keys in the car. True, if someone decides to smash my window (or I guess hack the keyless pad) they could then get in the car and drive away.

But the old school variant of this would be to leave the car unlocked and the key under the seat or something. In that case you don't even need to smash a window to get in it since you're leaving the car unlocked. Or I suppose you can hide the key in the wheel well and lock the car, and the thief has to look for the key instead of smashing a window to get into the car.

Perhaps I'm just jaded by the fact that if someone wants to steal your car, there will always be a way to steal your car, which that article also stated. That article was very poorly written though since the main thing it was saying was that if you dropped your key, people can just use the alarm aspect and find your car and steal it... which has been true ever since key fobs have become common back in the 90s and isn't unique to the push button start aspect.

rangerdanger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger SuperCrew XLT FX4
Vehicle Showcase