Fumoto Drain Valve Installation - Concern I Noted

rpeterson53

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat, 2019 Mazda MX-5 RF, 2016 Subaru Outback 3.6R
I just did my first oil change on my 2019 Ranger at 4800 miles. I planned to install the Fumoto F107N valve along with the ADP-107 adapter per the Fumoto website. I have used the Fumoto valves on my other vehicles and they have been excellent with no concerns. Note that the other vehicles all used an aluminum crush washer with the OEM drain plug.

The 2019 Ranger OEM drain plug does not use a crush washer but instead an embedded rubber style seal.

Ford 2019 Ranger Drain Plug.jpg
The ADP-107 comes with a a gasket washer made of a composite fibre like material. After draining the oil, on installation of the adapter, it did not seem to torque up as I would expect. I'm doing this on my back with the truck not jacked up. On visual examination of the adapter installation, it appeared that the washer gasket did not look right. On removal of the adapter, I found the gasket washer damaged as shown below.
Damaged Gasket Washer.jpg

The inner ID of the gasket washer appears to have been pressed into a counterbore concentric with the threads in the oil pan. I did not inspect the oil pan interface as I just reinstalled the OEM plug and would do a post mortem evaluation later to understand the issue. This is when I noted the deformation as shown. It still may have sealed the adapter but I did not find this an acceptable installation. An aluminum crush washer 12mm should address this concern in lieu of the supplied composite fibre gasket washer. That's probably what I will do on the next oil change.

This is just a heads up. I did advise Fumoto of my findings. They offered me a 20% discount on the F107SX style valve but I believe the aluminum crush washer will work. Fumoto was very responsive.

And for those thinking that I applied an over torque to the adapter, that's not the case. I am a licensed Aircraft Maintenance Engineer with 50+ years experience with endorsements up to the B787 and always do my own auto maintenance so I'm comfortable with my capabilities on complex machines including engines.

Just a heads up to watch for if you decide to use the F107N valve.
Sponsored

Dmax

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat 4x4
Vehicle Showcase
The gaskets def seem to be soft. I noticed mine got smushed as well using the torque wrench. However I’ve been monitoring the valves. No leaks after a few weeks.

DIYAndy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford 2019 Ranger XL
Occupation
Content Provider For SPAM
Vehicle Showcase
I just did my first oil change on my 2019 Ranger at 4800 miles. I planned to install the Fumoto F107N valve along with the ADP-107 adapter per the Fumoto website. I have used the Fumoto valves on my other vehicles and they have been excellent with no concerns. Note that the other vehicles all used an aluminum crush washer with the OEM drain plug.

The 2019 Ranger OEM drain plug does not use a crush washer but instead an embedded rubber style seal.

Ford 2019 Ranger Drain Plug.jpg
The ADP-107 comes with a a gasket washer made of a composite fibre like material. After draining the oil, on installation of the adapter, it did not seem to torque up as I would expect. I'm doing this on my back with the truck not jacked up. On visual examination of the adapter installation, it appeared that the washer gasket did not look right. On removal of the adapter, I found the gasket washer damaged as shown below.
Damaged Gasket Washer.jpg

The inner ID of the gasket washer appears to have been pressed into a counterbore concentric with the threads in the oil pan. I did not inspect the oil pan interface as I just reinstalled the OEM plug and would do a post mortem evaluation later to understand the issue. This is when I noted the deformation as shown. It still may have sealed the adapter but I did not find this an acceptable installation. An aluminum crush washer 12mm should address this concern in lieu of the supplied composite fibre gasket washer. That's probably what I will do on the next oil change.

This is just a heads up. I did advise Fumoto of my findings. They offered me a 20% discount on the F107SX style valve but I believe the aluminum crush washer will work. Fumoto was very responsive.

And for those thinking that I applied an over torque to the adapter, that's not the case. I am a licensed Aircraft Maintenance Engineer with 50+ years experience with endorsements up to the B787 and always do my own auto maintenance so I'm comfortable with my capabilities on complex machines including engines.

Just a heads up to watch for if you decide to use the F107N valve.
I had the exact same problems (above) trying to torque the adapter to spec. Fumoto sent me heavier washers to try.

Dmax

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I had the exact same problems (above) trying to torque the adapter to spec. Fumoto sent me heavier washers to try.
Did you email them or call them? I think I should get new washers even though these seem to be holding up.

DIYAndy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford 2019 Ranger XL
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Did you email them or call them? I think I should get new washers even though these seem to be holding up.
Just call them;)

weasel1

First Name
Derek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 Ranger Lighting Blue FX4 w/302A
Occupation
Nuclear Operator
Well @rpeterson53 , am I glad you posted that. I was about to Intel the same valve and same adapter this weekend. Guess I'm going to be finding some gaskets before I start this.

Dmax

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Just call them;)
Will do. Thanks. Checked the valve again last night. Seems to be doing well. Will get them to send me the rubber washers in case these fail. Thanks Andy

weasel1

First Name
Derek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Nuclear Operator
I had a thought. Did either of you (@rpeterson53 or @DIYAndy ) use the Ford torque specs or follow the torque instructions provided by Fumoto? For those wondering, Fumoto specifies 1/8 of a turn past hand tight. If you two used the Ford torque specs, that could explain why the gasket failure. That said, looking at the pictures, the gasket provided is clearly not ideal for our oil plans and I'll be looking for a more robust one today.

Dmax

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I had a thought. Did either of you (@rpeterson53 or @DIYAndy ) use the Ford torque specs or follow the torque instructions provided by Fumoto? For those wondering, Fumoto specifies 1/8 of a turn past hand tight. If you two used the Ford torque specs, that could explain why the gasket failure. That said, looking at the pictures, the gasket provided is clearly not ideal for our oil plans and I'll be looking for a more robust one today.
i did the fumoto specs hence why i don't think mine split very much(on a big screen you can see a small split). I remember thinking of both and noticed as soon as I tried to get to the torque specs I thought it would shush this washer. Here some current photos

DDE8CBF1-C133-45ED-8A1F-1CCC569D702B.jpeg

9E73FB7F-D034-4F6D-8AEF-46634F495C71.jpeg

Last edited:

weasel1

First Name
Derek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Nuclear Operator
i did the fumoto specs hence why i don't think mine split very much(on a big screen you can see a small split). I remember thinking of both and noticed as soon as I tried to get to the torque specs I thought it would shush this washer. Here some current photos

DDE8CBF1-C133-45ED-8A1F-1CCC569D702B.jpeg

9E73FB7F-D034-4F6D-8AEF-46634F495C71.jpeg
Well, that answers that.

DIYAndy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford 2019 Ranger XL
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Let me be very clear about this.
1/8 turn is ONLY for the Fumoto valve.
Fumoto recommends 15 foot lbs. (LBS FT.) on their 107 adapter for their valve.
The oil drain plug with built-in O ring, from Ford, requires a different torque value.;)
Torque: Oil Pan Drain Bolt/Plug - 20 # foot (27 Nm);)
BTW … talking direct to Fumoto and explaining my "same" problem as above they said it could be the washer and
they sent me several different washers to try?

Last edited:
OP
OP
rpeterson53

rpeterson53

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
From the Fumoto help section:

// When installing a Fumoto valve, you'll want to avoid using the specs in your car's owner's manual. Instead, you should follow ours. The chart is coded by series. So, 101 series would include all 101 series valves (F-101, F101S, F101N, F101SX, and B101SX). //

Important: when installing Fumoto adapters, be sure to under-torque. Failure to do so will lead to over-torquing while you're torquing your valve, which will add pressure to the adapter.

Series and Torque Range

101 Series: 221 in. lbs. or 18 ft. lbs.

102 Series: 221 in. lbs. or 18 ft. lbs.

103 Series: 177 in. lbs. or 15 ft. lbs.

104 Series: 221 in. lbs. or 18 ft. lbs.

105 Series: 221 in. lbs. or 18 ft. lbs.

106 Series: 221 in. lbs. or 18 ft. lbs.

107 Series: 177 in. lbs. or 15 ft. lbs

I believe the issue with the gasket is a result of the reduced contact area on the oil pan. My photo indicates this. Unfortunately, I did not take a photo of the drain pan to understand the contact area surface but based on the deformation of the gasket washer, there appears to be a slight counterbore concentric with the oil pan threads, thus reducing the contact area. I have used this same washer gasket on other vehicles I own with no issue. But those vehicles used a crush washer for the oil drain plug seal.

I believe that an aluminum crush washer will work better than the supplied Fumoto gasket washer. I found them at O'Reilly for .75 each. They are a 12mm crush washer. Dorman P/N 095-143. The idea of installing hand tight and 1/8 to 1/4 turn more conflicts with my judgement of a proper installation. What I do note is a conflict of installation instruction from the hand tight plus to the torque range published above for the 107 valve.

As I stated in my initial post, just a heads up and use your judgement. That's what I'm doing.

Cheers

weasel1

First Name
Derek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Nuclear Operator
Let me be very clear about this.
1/8 turn is ONLY for the Fumoto valve.
Fumoto recommends 15 foot lbs. (LBS FT.) on their 107 adapter for their valve.
The oil drain plug with built-in O ring, from Ford, requires a different torque value.;)
Torque: Oil Pan Drain Bolt/Plug - 20 # foot (27 Nm);)
BTW … talking direct to Fumoto and explaining my "same" problem as above they said it could be the washer and
they sent me several different washers to try?
Gotcha. I saw the instruction for the valve on the valve packaging, but there was nothing on the adapters packaging. My search today turned up very little. I happened to have a bunch of M12 copper crush washers, but I have some concerns about whether the outside diameter will be sufficient.

weasel1

First Name
Derek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Nuclear Operator
Well, I think my copper crush washer is going to work! I left the skid plate off for now to check for leaks. I took a picture of the drain plug area for those curious. There's most definitely a counter bore.

IMG-20200216-131521.jpg

OP
OP
rpeterson53

rpeterson53

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
The aluminum washer has an OD of .870 in, ID .484 in and thickness .077 in.

IMG_3213.jpg

The photo shows the aluminum washer on the adapter with the Fumoto washer nesting on top to illustrate how the aluminum washer would overlay the counterbore. The counterbore depression on the Fumoto washer is @ .630 in so this should be close in dimension to the counterbore in the oil pan.. This washer should work very well. I also have a copper washer with same OD and ID but thickness of 0.48 inch. It should also work very well.

In summary, for installation of the ADP-107 adapter, I would not use the supplied Fumoto washer gasket. An aluminum or copper crush washer appears to be a better solution. The Fumoto washer gasket is fine to use between the adapter and valve body.

Since I just changed my oil and re-installed the OEM plug, I can't validate this installation till the next oil change in about 5000 miles.

Cheers and happy motoring...
Sponsored