Your Thoughts

Poe

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XL
Occupation
Retired Electrician
So my truck was at the dealer getting vibration and oil smell in oil looked at and the tech took the truck home over night to put miles on it. ( I don't mind that he drove it home, I want it fixed)
He stopped at a walmart and someone side swipted it (Hit and Run) with a trailor and messed up the "whole passenger side" and even a hole in the door, they have it on video and filed a police report.
The service manager mentioned "maybe" the owner of the dealership would replace the truck but I have my doughts about that.
The truck has 2500 miles on it
What would you do?
Sponsored

Cape Cruiser

First Name
Bret
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
31 Ford-20 Ranger Lariat FX4- 19 Ranger Lariat 4x2
Occupation
retired mechanic
So my truck was at the dealer getting vibration and oil smell in oil looked at and the tech took the truck home over night to put miles on it. ( I don't mind that he drove it home, I want it fixed)
He stopped at a walmart and someone side swipted it (Hit and Run) with a trailor and messed up the "whole passenger side" and even a hole in the door, they have it on video and filed a police report.
The service manager mentioned "maybe" the owner of the dealership would replace the truck but I have my doughts about that.
What would you do?
WOW thats nuts, hope all turns out well

T Bone

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Southern Adirondack Mountains of upstate NY
Vehicle(s)
2020 ford ranger xlt
Occupation
Retired!!!!
What would you do?
never heard of a tech taking a vehicle home with them.........i would be so far up their ass about that and demanding a new truck

Jamesb

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger Lariat, 501A, Build Date 12/19
Occupation
Engineering
What would you do?
Wow ..I too am soo sorry to hear that.

Your truck is pretty much brand new so I would definitely be asking dealership owner what he's going to do to remedy this unfortunate situation. See what they offer before accepting or suggesting what they should do, as they've effectively devalued your new vehicle.

In Canada your insurance transfers to your loaner when you get one. I wonder if he was driving on dealer repair plates and what their insurance looks like? ie replacement ins?

Good luck mate and again, very very unfortunate situation.

Porpoise Hork

First Name
Bret
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 F150 XLT Powerboost FX4 302A Oxford White
Occupation
IT
never heard of a tech taking a vehicle home with them.........i would be so far up their ass about that and demanding a new truck
It's fairly uncommon, but not unheard of for service techs to take a problem child car home for the evening. Allows them to get a much better sense of drivability issues. I would definitely not be happy had this happen to my truck. It is the service department and ultimately the dealership's responsibility to repair/replace the damaged vehicle since it was in their possession at the time it was damaged.

2.7EcoBoost

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4 Screw
Many years ago when I worked at a service department I took a Ranger home for an engine noise (ping/rattle) that the selling dealer would only say "was normal". The customer gave me permission because like the OP, he just wanted his truck fixed. Long story short, we got the guy a new crate engine for a problem that happened during the engine assembly process. This was a 4.0 SOCH engine. I don't know what the answer is for the OP. I personally would not have taken the truck anywhere but home/road test. I would have never been at Wal-Mart because I'd expect a door ding or something with my luck.. I mean, I feel for you, but from a legal stand point there's not much you can do. If the dealer paid your co-pay, you'd probably be lucky. I hope it all works out for you.

HenryMac

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 SuperCab XL - FX4 - Magnetic - Rocksliders
Occupation
Mech. Engineer - Retired
What would you do?
Ugh.. what a mess. Nobody (but my wife) drives any of my vehicles, unless I am in the vehicle with them. Make it a point moving forward to make that your personal policy also.

What did "your" insurance company say about this?

In any event... the dealership needs to supply you with a truck to drive, right now, that is the same or better than yours was before it was wrecked.

I'd be pushing to get a new truck out of the dealership... but I can't see how legally they would have to do that.

ROBERTECOX

First Name
Bobby
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 ranger lariat 2wd sport pkg
Occupation
US ARMY (RETIRED)
LAWYER!!!

Cape Cruiser

First Name
Bret
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
31 Ford-20 Ranger Lariat FX4- 19 Ranger Lariat 4x2
Occupation
retired mechanic
What would you do?
When you go to trade it in you will take a hit cause it was involved in an accident. Carfax will show it as repaired.

Tracy Bowman

First Name
Tracy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Hyundai Accent, 2001 Ford F-150, 2019 Ford Ranger FX4 Saber Lariat
If it's just cosmetic damage that can easily be repaired, I would let them pay to repair it. If there's any structural damage, I would want a replacement.

HenryMac

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 SuperCab XL - FX4 - Magnetic - Rocksliders
Occupation
Mech. Engineer - Retired
If it's just cosmetic damage that can easily be repaired, I would let them pay to repair it. If there's any structural damage, I would want a replacement.
Meh... what if they take it down to Maaco or some other low end auto repair place .. are you still ok with it being repaired?

Point being... they're never the same once they've been repaired.

Tracy Bowman

First Name
Tracy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Hyundai Accent, 2001 Ford F-150, 2019 Ford Ranger FX4 Saber Lariat
Meh... what if they take it down to Maaco or some other low end auto repair place .. are you still ok with it being repaired?

I agree. My brother wrecked my Buick Skyhawk numerous years ago. Insurance paid for repairs & it looked fine, but it was never the same.

FoD

First Name
Terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4 Chrome Iconic Silver
Occupation
COO of Dave's DeeZee Enterprising
Vehicle Showcase

Funny, I was just thinking that it sounds like the kind of place that would go to Sherwin-Williams, get a brush and gallon of on sale latex and "fix" damage.?
Sponsored