First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger STX 4x4
Occupation
Asst. Greenskeeper, Bushwood Country Club
I think you would get for your money and far more bang for the buck just upgrading your up and down side pipes and an exhaust high flow catalytic pipe. To really see the benefits you got to be powering it up. The saturation of the stock intercooler takes some effort.
Agree. I live in PA so I rather doubt a larger intercooler would make any difference.

I had looked at changing the turbo itself but think I'd be getting into warranty voiding territory for sure - after some thought it seems Ford matched this turbo to street driving and towing pretty well. I'm not building a drag monster. I'd like to see a free flow downpipe that doesn't increase noise; if CVF resolved that it would go on my future mods list.
Stage 3 has a modded/blueprinted OE turbo but it costs a crap ton of money and they say you need a tune to take full advantage. Personally I think you would only see gains at high RPM and I don't think it's worth it unless you're building a drag truck.
Sponsored

Last edited:
OP
OP
Racket

Racket

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Lariat Supercrew 2WD
Occupation
Transient
Looks like @CVF-Jason warning was warranted on not all intercoolers are made equal despite appearing to be the same. Check out the most recent comments on the ESP intercooler flash sale thread here:

Apparently there is a potential for a dimensions issue with the cold side locking rings that someone posted pics of. I noticed Elliot told the second person asking questions to message if he too found a fitment issue and that person did end up shooting Elliot a private message.

@Racket - Since you have the Mishimoto pipes on your truck you might want to take your stock cold side and ensure it fits your intercooler before installing.
Yeah if that becomes a problem I will be very upset considering the work required to install it. However the Mishi IC pipes went on the stock IC no problem. I intend on following up per ESP's request and I'll be updating my tune as Mishimoto suggests when installing this combo.

This is the first I've heard of any potential issues with aftermarket IC pipes though ESP says their intercooler is compatible. The only one I've read that might was Mountune's but I thought they sell the whole pipe/IC as a package.

In deference to CVF I'd advocate going with their complete set which happens to be priced attractively.

MONTH LATER EDIT: the Facebook post @importfighter01 had in his post has been removed. The original one in FB announcing the sale is there but the alert about issues is gone. Damage control.

Last edited:

melficeapoll

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger XLT
Occupation
RN
So i was the first person to report an issue with the ESP intercooler fitment. The outer diameter of the cold side outlet is too big to fit into charge pipes. The photo shows the stock pipe, but I currently have the CVF pipes installed and was producing the same issue.

UNLESS you have a silicone pipe. Most of the aftermarket pipes are all aluminum with the exception of Mountune being silicone.

The solution.........Wait 2 months for a fix in the form of an adapter of some sort. I was stoked to see a discount on any of the intercooler, so i jumped on this one. Well didn't work out in my favor.

So. Much. Work. Involved. In. Taking. Everything. Apart. Only to put it back together with the original part in place. I'm positive Elliott has great products and many fans, but my experience wasn't exactly enjoyable.
PXL_20230303_221205928.jpg

OP
OP
Racket

Racket

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Transient
So i was the first person to report an issue with the ESP intercooler fitment. The outer diameter of the cold side outlet is too big to fit into charge pipes. The photo shows the stock pipe, but I currently have the CVF pipes installed and was producing the same issue.

UNLESS you have a silicone pipe. Most of the aftermarket pipes are all aluminum with the exception of Mountune being silicone.

The solution.........Wait 2 months for a fix in the form of an adapter of some sort. I was stoked to see a discount on any of the intercooler, so i jumped on this one. Well didn't work out in my favor.

So. Much. Work. Involved. In. Taking. Everything. Apart. Only to put it back together with the original part in place. I'm positive Elliott has great products and many fans, but my experience wasn't exactly enjoyable.
PXL_20230303_221205928.jpg
Bad words ? ??

(I have Mishimoto pipes though)

From email:
I do have a solution. I am going to make a custom piping kit and send out to you free of charge. All I ask is about 2 months to get a sample made, fitment tested, and a production done.
It's not life or death and they offered a refund if I return or a 10% discount on more parts if I can wait. What is the stock diameter? I wonder what effect the slightly larger exit will have?

melficeapoll

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger XLT
Occupation
RN
Bad words ? ??

From email:

It's not life or death and they offered a refund if I return or a 10% discount on more parts if I can wait. What is the stock diameter? I wonder what effect the slightly larger exit will have?
Stock is 67 ESP is 68. Small difference but with hardened metal that doesn't flex. It's a big difference.

OP
OP
Racket

Racket

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Transient
Stock is 67 ESP is 68. Small difference but with hardened metal that doesn't flex. It's a big difference.
So IF mine arrives with the 67mm all is good - but I won't hold my breath.

MY23RANGER

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 XLT Ranger black edition 2wd
Occupation
Ford Tech
Mine is out for delivery today

OP
OP
Racket

Racket

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Transient
Mine came and I have the larger-than-stock cold side port ?
IMG_20230306_170304084_HDR~2.jpg

IMG_20230306_170557755~2.jpg

IMG_20230306_170848496~2.jpg

So I'm going to wait to see how this is resolved. I already have the mishimoto charge pipes and they flow much higher than stock. Not sure if ESP's solution would be larger than stock like aftermarket but I certainly hope so. I recall someone mentioning CVF sells just the hot side pipe and looked on their web site. Not sure why that's a good thing vs. both ( @CVF-Jason ?)but I will point out that when I installed my mishi pipes I ran out of time to do the full install on it one week and only put the cold side on. My power band got flattened and my MPG's shot up but I preferred the full install performance that I completed the following weekend.
Here's CVF's info on their full pipe:
Screenshot_20230307-015109.jpg

I do like the bung for those who want to add injection and the flow numbers are similar to Mishimoto's which advertises 25.6-percent more flow on the hot side and 16.6-percent on the cold side; Increases internal volume by 26.4-percent on the hot side and 13.7-percent on the cold side but you'd have to tap your own port for injection. With the intercooler and charge pipe specs being so darn close across manufacturers I wonder what a different variance in ratio of flow between hot and cold is going to do for power?

I filled the stock cold side pipe with water and from the end that slips over the throttle body to the seal on the intercooler side I got 1200mL. It's not a totally accurate effective area of air but it seems that would mean the aftermarket cold pipes add 150mL in volume or so?

Now I'd like to see how a larger turbo inlet could play into designing a complete replacement system. Right now it sounds like Revolution out of Maryland is the only maker and it's pricey compared to what I spent on the mishi and ESP so far.

Last edited:

CVF-Jason

Gold Sponsor
First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.cvfab.com
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger
Occupation
General Sales Manager
Mine came and I have the larger-than-stock cold side port ?
IMG_20230306_170304084_HDR~2.jpg

IMG_20230306_170557755~2.jpg

IMG_20230306_170848496~2.jpg

So I'm going to wait to see how this is resolved. I already have the mishimoto charge pipes and they flow much higher than stock. Not sure if ESP's solution would be larger than stock like aftermarket but I certainly hope so. I recall someone mentioning CVF sells just the hot side pipe and looked on their web site. Not sure why that's a good thing vs. both ( @CVF-Jason ?)but I will point out that when I installed my mishi pipes I ran out of time to do the full install on it one week and only put the cold side on. My power band got flattened and my MPG's shot up but I preferred the full install performance that I completed the following weekend.
Here's CVF's info on their full pipe:
Screenshot_20230307-015109.jpg

I do like the bung for those who want to add injection and the flow numbers are similar to Mishimoto's which advertises 25.6-percent more flow on the hot side and 16.6-percent on the cold side; Increases internal volume by 26.4-percent on the hot side and 13.7-percent on the cold side but you'd have to tap your own port for injection. With the intercooler and charge pipe specs being so darn close across manufacturers I wonder what a different variance in ratio of flow between hot and cold is going to do for power?

I filled the stock cold side pipe with water and from the end that slips over the throttle body to the seal on the intercooler side I got 1200mL. It's not a totally accurate effective area of air but it seems that would mean the aftermarket cold pipes add 150mL in volume or so?

Now I'd like to see how a larger turbo inlet could play into designing a complete replacement system. Right now it sounds like Revolution out of Maryland is the only maker and it's pricey compared to what I spent on the mishi and ESP so far.
Honestly we offer them separately as some folks like to purchase it that way. Our train of thought is that if you're doing one side you might as well do both. Increased flow on one side is only going to be bottlenecked by limited flow on the other side. Ideally you want more flow on BOTH sides (air going in the intercooler via hot side pipe, cooled via intercooler, out to TB via cold side pipe).

Copperhead_Tremor

First Name
DK
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Tremor Ranger
Occupation
Dispatcher
I've dealt with CVFab when they released the catless Downpipe for the Ecoboost Mustang. In fact I was a test mule for them and my install video was on their website.

CVfab's service and parts quality was and is top notch. When it's time to upgrade my IC for the Ranger I'll be going CVFab.

yamahaSHO

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.jaztuning.com
Vehicle(s)
22 Ranger, 23 Maverick, 04 S2000, 07 Sky RL
Occupation
ECU Calibration - USAF Retired
Vehicle Showcase
How did they get the fitting size wrong from factory and not test? Or am I reading this wrong.

The OEM IC discharge is actually plenty big, but it is pretty pliable. Personally, I don't like the OEM style O-ring style ends when it comes to aftermarket. I have aftermarket pipes and intercooler on my CRD Jeep and they always have oil seeping put. I like that the Mountune uses traditional hoses/clamps... Though, they send it with worm gear clamps.

OP
OP
Racket

Racket

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Transient
How did they get the fitting size wrong from factory and not test? Or am I reading this wrong.

The OEM IC discharge is actually plenty big, but it is pretty pliable. Personally, I don't like the OEM style O-ring style ends when it comes to aftermarket. I have aftermarket pipes and intercooler on my CRD Jeep and they always have oil seeping put. I like that the Mountune uses traditional hoses/clamps... Though, they send it with worm gear clamps.
No real explanation from ESP - they blamed whomever made the side tanks. I guess they trusted the manufacturer before cranking out the intercoolers and haven't clarified how many have reported the mismatch. It may very well be all of them. I suppose a custom cold side pipe could be made that mimics the performance aftermarket ones that won't negatively impact performance. While ESP has been mum since acknowledging the error and promising a solution I hope that they will set everything right. It's only been a few days so we'll see.

EDIT: I don't know what vetting Ranger5G does with sponsors other than taking money so I looked briefly into Elliott. Their website looks like a drop ship vendor with the only ESP branded item for our Rangers this intercooler - which is sold out. A preliminary search for a shop only leads me to a residence. I suspect @importfighter01 is right in this case as this appears to be a Chinese import item. How ESP comes up with a solution will be interesting.

Last edited:

MY23RANGER

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 XLT Ranger black edition 2wd
Occupation
Ford Tech
so, the stock cold side pipe is 67mm id?

yamahaSHO

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.jaztuning.com
Vehicle(s)
22 Ranger, 23 Maverick, 04 S2000, 07 Sky RL
Occupation
ECU Calibration - USAF Retired
Vehicle Showcase
No real explanation from ESP - they blamed whomever made the side tanks. I guess they trusted the manufacturer before cranking out the intercoolers and haven't clarified how many have reported the mismatch. It may very well be all of them. I suppose a custom cold side pipe could be made that mimics the performance aftermarket ones that won't negatively impact performance. While ESP has been mum since acknowledging the error and promising a solution I hope that they will set everything right. It's only been a few days so we'll see.

EDIT: I don't know what vetting Ranger5G does with sponsors other than taking money so I looked briefly into Elliott. Their website looks like a drop ship vendor with the only ESP branded item for our Rangers this intercooler - which is sold out. A preliminary search for a shop only leads me to a residence. I suspect @importfighter01 is right in this case as this appears to be a Chinese import item. How ESP comes up with a solution will be interesting.
I am a vendor on the RZR forums and they didn't do anything other than accept my money and update my account.
Sponsored