First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Lariat Supercrew 2WD
Occupation
Transient
I am a vendor on the RZR forums and they didn't do anything other than accept my money and update my account.
What I expected. A thing like this can hurt everyone if it goes badly.

I only find passing comments in them on a Focus forum - nothing substantial. And their YouTube channel is amateurish. If this is their foray into building a brand it's a rough entry.
Sponsored

Last edited:

importfighter01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger XL SuperCab
I emailed couple days ago requesting to go the refund route vs waiting on a new charge pipe, but no response yet…

melficeapoll

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger XLT
Occupation
RN
Update. Elliott was pretty cool about going the refund route, he sent a return label to ship back the ESP intercooler. I'll see how long it takes for the money to appear in my account. He mentioned that anyone who chose to keep the intercooler would get the "fix" for free. In about a month or two he planned to release a custom piping kit. I'm order to make everything fit. I'm sadly impatient and went the refund route.

On the other hand, the CVF intercooler showed up!
PXL_20230309_003817271~3.jpg

Install was actually possible with this one. Before i got to involved, i grabbed the stock pipes to make sure that they fit, which they did. I had zero problems installing and fitting it to the matching CVF charge pipes i bought a few weeks prior. So yeah, go get the CVF intercooler.
PXL_20230310_032512787~2.jpg

MY23RANGER

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 XLT Ranger black edition 2wd
Occupation
Ford Tech
since you have had both intercoolers, is there any difference between them.

melficeapoll

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger XLT
Occupation
RN
since you have had both intercoolers, is there any difference between them.
Yes a HUGE difference: the CVF intercooler actually fits. ?.

Weight is the same, i will admit that the welds on the ESP are cleaner, the finish is smoother, but that's very very much excused with the fact that it's affordable and functional.

OP
OP
Racket

Racket

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Transient
I had exchanged a couple emails with Jimmy and had pointed out CVF has the threaded bung in their charge pipes and Mishimoto has and area on theirs you 'could' drill and tap. While ESP says they have an area on their intercooler to drill and tap for injection or boost gauges I pointed out the Torque Solution provides a non-destructive way to hook up a boost gauge:

Screenshot_20230310-125227.png
Screenshot_20230310-125141~2.png

This was over a brief discussion about intercooler pipe design. Let's see if this turns up on his web store!

CVF-Jason

Gold Sponsor
First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.cvfab.com
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger
Occupation
General Sales Manager
Yes a HUGE difference: the CVF intercooler actually fits. ?.

Weight is the same, i will admit that the welds on the ESP are cleaner, the finish is smoother, but that's very very much excused with the fact that it's affordable and functional.
Just so we're clear, if anything were to happen that was manufacturing-related (welds, core, etc.) we replace it under our Lifetime Warranty - no questions asked.

OP
OP
Racket

Racket

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Transient
Was wondering what maintenance was recommended for an intercooler and have really never thought of it before. I found a website 'recommending' removal and flushing the IC every few years and really cannot rationalize it unless someone can make a good argument for it.

Then I got to thinking about the manufacturing of these aftermarket units; what is done before shipping as far as cleaning the interior passages? Is there something that makes sense? The website of the company who does the intercooler flush alternately recommends flushing it out with either brake cleaner or acetone.

Would it make sense to do that prior to installation just to make sure nothing residual is in there?

yamahaSHO

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.jaztuning.com
Vehicle(s)
22 Ranger, 23 Maverick, 04 S2000, 07 Sky RL
Occupation
ECU Calibration - USAF Retired
Vehicle Showcase
I clean out my pipes prior to install. They are generally full of manufacturing dust/metal/shards.

I stuck my camera through everything on my intercooler and pipes, just prior to sealing it up with hoses.

1678819974310.png

1678819991036.png

OP
OP
Racket

Racket

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Transient
I clean out my pipes prior to install. They are generally full of manufacturing dust/metal/shards.

I stuck my camera through everything on my intercooler and pipes, just prior to sealing it up with hoses.

1678819974310.png

1678819991036.png
What do you do to clean them?

yamahaSHO

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.jaztuning.com
Vehicle(s)
22 Ranger, 23 Maverick, 04 S2000, 07 Sky RL
Occupation
ECU Calibration - USAF Retired
Vehicle Showcase
What do you do to clean them?
Brake cleaner. If you want to clean the intercooler itself, you could get 5 gallons of E85 and run it through the intercooler.

OP
OP
Racket

Racket

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Transient
Alternately I wonder if a radiator shop could do something?

OP
OP
Racket

Racket

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Transient
I've been looking for E30 gas after having access to it in Florida but not seeing it elsewhere. Can't say I completely trust the American Coalition for Ethanol's map of providers although I've found a sole station selling E85. From the manufacturer our trucks are supposed to handle up to E15 and evidently the physical components can deal with the Ethanol but limitations in sensors and software present challenges in running higher percentages.

I ran across a tuner's website saying the ethanol allows for adjustments in spark but they advocate for an upgraded intercooler to narrow fluctuations that could lead to damage... Although with my tuned (for midgrade) truck with only Mishimoto intercooler charge pipes I never got any CEL.

Last edited:

Mustang2Ranger

First Name
Garrett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 Ranger Lariat-FX4,4X4,White Platinum; 06 Escape
I've been looking for E30 gas after having access to it in Florida but not seeing it elsewhere. Can't say I completely trust the American Coalition for Ethanol's map of providers although I've found a sole station selling E85. From the manufacturer our trucks are supposed to handle up to E15 and evidently the physical components can deal with the Ethanol but limitations in sensors and software present challenges in running higher percentages.

I ran across a tuner's website saying the ethanol allows for adjustments in spark but they advocate for an upgraded intercooler to narrow fluctuations that could lead to damage... Although with my tuned (for midgrade) truck with only Mishimoto intercooler charge pipes I never got any CEL.
I splash blend each tank with some E85 to make E15-E20. I didn't like how the Livernois tune made the truck sound like it had pre-ignition. Colder plugs, switching to the tow tune, some E85 and it runs great and tows great and so far the Blackstone reports are good

There is a station near me so I keep a few 2gal containers on hand and when it gets to 1/4 tank I pour it in and fill the rest with 91

Livernois does have an E30 tune but I am not going to be carrying around and mixing that much ethanol. Too bad CA cant have those stations with ethanol blends or 93
Sponsored