First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Lariat Supercrew 2WD
Occupation
Transient
A forum sponsor has a 'flash sale' on their intercooler for our trucks.

While there is a decent debate for and against changing the factory unit out (and I hope we do that here) after looking at the dimensions and construction of what's available it seems the aftermarket is all aluminum bar and plate design and all similar dimensions except all tend to be an inch thicker. The common argument is that the plastic/metal stock piece 'could' suffer some separation and leak - but I'd argue a solid tig welded unit could crack too.

The all metal unit presumably would dissipate heat a little better and the increased volume I expect would change the perceived power band though I presume the maximums will be the same.

Here are the specs from the Mountune:
Screenshot_20230301-125808.jpg

Mishimoto:
Screenshot_20230301-122931.jpg

Elliott Specialized Performance:
Screenshot_20230301-122136~2.png

And CVF:
Screenshot_20230301-122047.jpg

I've ordered the ESP via their promotion - my only hangup is I'm not a fan displaying big assed logos on my vehicle. (CVF being the price leader and no logo gets a nod)

Some thoughts here, maybe some big claims https://www.torquecars.com/tuning/aftermarket-intercooler.php

I've never put my truck on a Dyno and rely on perceived driving experiences to justify my spending. I'll likely get another base file to Unleashed and see if there will be any further refinement.

Since these aftermarkets are an inch thicker= more volume I expect some delay in boost coming on but also once fully charged (with cooler air) the same peak power. Whether the turbo can be manipulated (electric wastegate) or not and if my tuner is willing - I don't want to risk my engine - we'll see. I think I've read in passing there are some performance shops manipulating the controls?

Anyone else done this or weigh the pros or cons? Can changing this trigger codes (P04f0?)? I occasionally tow and spend all my time in the southeast. No offroading (RWD only truck).
Sponsored

Last edited:

importfighter01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger XL SuperCab
In the Mishimoto intercooler development blog with a non-tuned truck, the intercooler yielded like 3 hp and then power curved barely changed. Same with intercooler pipes too (see AFE dyno). However Mishimoto found the secret combo was to have BOTH the pipes and the intercooler together which yielded gains through the entire powerband of 13hp / 14tq. For example, Mishi changed their product descriptions to no longer highlight the power of these parts individually, but speak of the gains combined.

1677793655576.png

The hot side is the restriction. Mishi flow bench data shows a big difference in the hot side stock vs aftermarket pipe, minimal on the cold side. This is what makes CV Fab the better deal, you can buy a hot side only pipe from them for $180 shipped.

So overall the gains from the hot side pipe / intercooler combo are due to better airflow to the engine to make more power, NOT due to a drop in intake air temps. I too bought the Elliot intercooler for $300, but I’m only going to install it with the better hot side pipe or it’s not worth the change.

BTW I do not like the huge spray painted logo on the silver powder coat either. But if you get some Toluene solvent with a throwaway cotton washcloth, it will wipe right off which I plan to do.

One final note, after getting my intercooler delivered yesterday, I’m more convinced than ever the Elliot / Mishi / CV Fab units are all made at the same place in China. The box I got was even printed with a generic “Turbo Cooler” label on the bottom of it. I suspect these will be on eBay sooner than later for $300 given the deal Elliot was offering for $300 shipped (I suspect selling at cost of $260 each since shipping a 30lb chunk of aluminum is not cheap).

Trigganometry

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 XLT scab 301A/tow 4X4 magnetic w/sport blackout
Occupation
Engineering
I think you would get for your money and far more bang for the buck just upgrading your up and down side pipes and an exhaust high flow catalytic pipe. To really see the benefits you got to be powering it up. The saturation of the stock intercooler takes some effort.

MY23RANGER

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 XLT Ranger black edition 2wd
Occupation
Ford Tech
I just purchased the ESP intercooler not for any hp but the cooling I live in Las Vegas and need any help I can get with cooling the Iat temps down, I will be data logging the before and after to see if it is really worth it

OP
OP
Racket

Racket

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Transient
I think you would get for your money and far more bang for the buck just upgrading your up and down side pipes and an exhaust high flow catalytic pipe. To really see the benefits you got to be powering it up. The saturation of the stock intercooler takes some effort.
Yeah I did that when Mishi released theirs. It changes the powerband and I am used to it. That was after the GFB DV+ that seemed to have a more subtle effect although the design looks significant (machined brass piston instead of plastic plug). I have the SCT box that catalogs and loads my Unleashed tunes - heaven knows I keep Torrie busy.

I had looked at changing the turbo itself but think I'd be getting into warranty voiding territory for sure - after some thought it seems Ford matched this turbo to street driving and towing pretty well. I'm not building a drag monster. I'd like to see a free flow downpipe that doesn't increase noise; if CVF resolved that it would go on my future mods list.

I don't think I'll explore exotic fuel mixes or anything requiring injector/fuel pump upgrades and I want to keep the protection of the factory air filter so this may be about it for intake mods. (No intake spacer for this truck) The ESP promo was just too good to pass up.

Last edited:

importfighter01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I just purchased the ESP intercooler not for any hp but the cooling I live in Las Vegas and need any help I can get with cooling the Iat temps down, I will be data logging the before and after to see if it is really worth it
If I lived in the desert I too would invest in an intercooler as a good investment for air temp control. Mishimoto is located in the NE part of the country so their testing is reflective of their climate.

OP
OP
Racket

Racket

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Transient
I ordered the lack one from ESP and just hope whatever powder coat they used is heat conducting not one that will add a layer of 'insulation.'

Last edited:

CVF-Jason

Gold Sponsor
First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.cvfab.com
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger
Occupation
General Sales Manager
Just to chime in here with a few details as I've seen them mentioned:

- Despite size similarities there are still slight differences in the units due to core composition (charge rows, fin density, etc.). The eBay variants you see are the least effective, cheapest off-the-shelf cores available to sell units. Are they better than stock? Maybe. Are they the same? Definitely not. Data will prove this. Our cores, specifically, are engineered in-house and made to our specification. They are not off-the-shelf.

- Be wary of anyone who claims excessive temp. drops with 0 data (especially as of late). We're actually collecting some data on the Ranger IC specifically as we speak to prove effectiveness of our unit - this is something we do with every single intercooler. You want apples-to-apples testing above all.

- With that in mind, note on who says "HP increase with tune" as you want to see the unit alone, without a tune. Now, will intercooler raise your HP? No. But it WILL have a massive effect on retaining power on a run/towing/hot weather as your power normally drops off due to heat soak on the OEM unit.

OP
OP
Racket

Racket

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Transient
I think the argument FOR powder coat is to inhibit corrosion. I suppose there are 'heat conducting' coatings that are available but suspect the cost/performance perspective is not all that valuable. We aren't building hypersonic jet bombers here ?

I see CVF embossed their logo on their units and from what I can see on the interwebs the ESP (in my case) seems to share some build quality clues. Not saying they come from the same factory but even if they did I have confidence the quality is as good as it gets. I just hope Elliot forgives me if I wipe the logo off ?.

It won't reduce my enthusiasm for their part. CVF definitely a top vendor here. (Make a super quiet non-CEL free flow downpipe and I'll be on it!)

I thought the Mountune one only works with their IC pipes?

Have you seen what the Livernois models go for? ?

Last edited:

CVF-Jason

Gold Sponsor
First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.cvfab.com
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger
Occupation
General Sales Manager
I think the argument FOR powder coat is to inhibit corrosion. I suppose there are 'heat conducting' coatings that are available but suspect the cost/performance perspective is not all that valuable. We aren't building hypersonic jet bombers here ?

I see CVF embossed their logo on their units and from what I can see on the interwebs the ESP (in my case) seems to share some build quality clues. Not saying they come from the same factory but even if they did I have confidence the quality is as good as it gets. I just hope Elliot forgives me if I wipe the logo off ?.

It won't reduce my enthusiasm for their part. CVF definitely a top vendor here. (Make a super quiet non-CEL free flow downpipe and I'll be on it!)

I thought the Mountune one only works with their IC pipes?

Have you seen what the Livernois models go for?
Honestly? The logo's more about legitimacy than anything. Knock-off products don't use logos as they're bought generic in batches with little to no quality control (another issue with the eBay knock-offs). We cast our own end tanks to ensure product end-quality and we know it's ours if it has our logo on it (that, and in the differences in the cores).

The coating is heat-dispersant paint, of course. 0 negative thermal effects.

importfighter01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
OP
OP
Racket

Racket

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Transient
Mishimoto goes over intercooler coatings in their guide. Makes no difference in efficiency if I interpreted their findings correctly.

https://www.mishimoto.com/engineeri...-the-ultimate-guide-for-intercooler-selection
They are very good at making their R&D consumer friendly. It builds confidence in their brand although I think they've taken some hits on the catch can hose quality. The graphs for the Ranger IC show torque coming on sooner and horsepower gains at the top. What I found appealing was the relatively stable cold side temp graph.
https://www.mishimoto.com/engineeri...-3-ecoboost-intercooler-kit-dyno-testing-2019

Last edited:

yamahaSHO

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.jaztuning.com
Vehicle(s)
22 Ranger, 23 Maverick, 04 S2000, 07 Sky RL
Occupation
ECU Calibration - USAF Retired
Vehicle Showcase
I just installed a Mountune intercooler and did not use the stencil. I went with an upgraded intercooler for towing purposes, but I will also be turning up the power a little bit as well, which still the real heat mitigation needed will be towing.

1677915617450.png

I did take some data logs prior to the intercooler and will take more after.

importfighter01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Just to chime in here with a few details as I've seen them mentioned:

- Despite size similarities there are still slight differences in the units due to core composition (charge rows, fin density, etc.). The eBay variants you see are the least effective, cheapest off-the-shelf cores available to sell units. Are they better than stock? Maybe. Are they the same? Definitely not. Data will prove this. Our cores, specifically, are engineered in-house and made to our specification. They are not off-the-shelf.

- Be wary of anyone who claims excessive temp. drops with 0 data (especially as of late). We're actually collecting some data on the Ranger IC specifically as we speak to prove effectiveness of our unit - this is something we do with every single intercooler. You want apples-to-apples testing above all.

- With that in mind, note on who says "HP increase with tune" as you want to see the unit alone, without a tune. Now, will intercooler raise your HP? No. But it WILL have a massive effect on retaining power on a run/towing/hot weather as your power normally drops off due to heat soak on the OEM unit.
Looks like @CVF-Jason warning was warranted on not all intercoolers are made equal despite appearing to be the same. Check out the most recent comments on the ESP intercooler flash sale thread here:

Apparently there is a potential for a dimensions issue with the cold side locking rings that someone posted pics of. I noticed Elliot told the second person asking questions to message if he too found a fitment issue and that person did end up shooting Elliot a private message.

@Racket - Since you have the Mishimoto pipes on your truck you might want to take your stock cold side and ensure it fits your intercooler before installing.
Sponsored