XLT vs Lariat gauge cluster

LB357

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Lightning Blue Ranger
Wanted to follow up on this, ended up trying to send the replacement XLT cluster off to have the odometer corrected and brought up to my truck's mileage, however, the service I chose said they didn't have the ability to change mileage on our clusters after receiving it. So for the hell of it, since it's a simple swap, I swapped the XLT cluster in again once it got back and hooked up Forscan and went to change the mileage and received the same error while failing at 2%. At this point I assumed it just wasn't going to work but still wanted to change a couple other things in Forscan before shutting everything off so I wrote those changes and then the cluster rebooted itself (may not be the correct description) and lo and behold once the cluster was back up it had my matching mileage with the truck. Not 100% sure what I did specifically to get it to work, maybe attempting to write the mileage was actually successful and then writing the other changes in Forscan made it stick after rebooting? My backup plan was to buy a higher mileage cluster and just drive till I met the mileage. Here's the before and after and I'm pumped to have a full tach and speedo now as well as easier to read temp and fuel gauges.

lariatcluster.jpg

xltcluster.jpg
Sponsored

OP
OP

NHR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tundra
Wanted to follow up on this, ended up trying to send the replacement XLT cluster off to have the odometer corrected and brought up to my truck's mileage, however, the service I chose said they didn't have the ability to change mileage on our clusters after receiving it. So for the hell of it, since it's a simple swap, I swapped the XLT cluster in again once it got back and hooked up Forscan and went to change the mileage and received the same error while failing at 2%. At this point I assumed it just wasn't going to work but still wanted to change a couple other things in Forscan before shutting everything off so I wrote those changes and then the cluster rebooted itself (may not be the correct description) and lo and behold once the cluster was back up it had my matching mileage with the truck. Not 100% sure what I did specifically to get it to work, maybe attempting to write the mileage was actually successful and then writing the other changes in Forscan made it stick after rebooting? My backup plan was to buy a higher mileage cluster and just drive till I met the mileage. Here's the before and after and I'm pumped to have a full tach and speedo now as well as easier to read temp and fuel gauges.

lariatcluster.jpg

xltcluster.jpg
That's awesome! Can you tell us what happens with the right side steering wheel controls? Are they just dead now?

LB357

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
That's awesome! Can you tell us what happens with the right side steering wheel controls? Are they just dead now?
Nope, they still work. I actually changed the controls in Forscan to the non-Lariat switch pack thinking I needed to after swapping the clusters which made them quit working but after realizing that I changed the setting back to the Lariat pack and had volume control, prev/next, etc.

5G Dan-O

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger
Occupation
Ford ASSET Instructor - Program Director
New guy here. I found this site through a Google search.
@LB357 could you elaborate what you did or didn't do or maybe what options you have that I might not have?
Installed an XLT cluster in our Ranger this weekend and it's working great except for the RH buttons to change stations. Volume works as well as all the other lower RH buttons. Wifey likes the dash but isn't too thrilled with the loss of the buttons to change radio stations.
I went into the SCCM and changed the steering wheel button setting with no luck - changed it back.
If it matters, I have a 2020 Lariat.

Thanks ahead of time for the assistance.

LB357

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
New guy here. I found this site through a Google search.
@LB357 could you elaborate what you did or didn't do or maybe what options you have that I might not have?
Installed an XLT cluster in our Ranger this weekend and it's working great except for the RH buttons to change stations. Volume works as well as all the other lower RH buttons. Wifey likes the dash but isn't too thrilled with the loss of the buttons to change radio stations.
I went into the SCCM and changed the steering wheel button setting with no luck - changed it back.
If it matters, I have a 2020 Lariat.

Thanks ahead of time for the assistance.
Sure, sorry about the late reply on this. The physical swap itself if simple, it just requires popping off the vents to the left and right of the cluster and then lifting up the cover between the steering wheel and the cluster itself and removing the 4(?) screws holding it in place. Once the 4 screws are out you just have to pull the cluster towards you and disconnect the cable from the back. I did all of the with the truck off. Just reread your reply and realized you've already done the swap but since I've typed this out I'll leave it up for anyone else. I also realized after doing the swap I don't seem to be able to use the adaptive cruise control but normal cruise still works and the top right button pack to control the previous right screen no longer does anything but those were worth it to me as I much prefer the XL/XLT dash. Did you update your mileage on yours new cluster via Forscan?

5G Dan-O

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger
Occupation
I also realized after doing the swap I don't seem to be able to use the adaptive cruise control but normal cruise still works and the top right button pack to control the previous right screen no longer does anything but those were worth it to me as I much prefer the XL/XLT dash. Did you update your mileage on yours new cluster via Forscan?
Thanks for the reply.

I think I'm going to take the plunge and buy the other RH switch assembly.
There's only 2 different versions available and there's also only 2 listed in the SCCM so it makes sense to me to install the non-Lariat switch assembly and tell the SCCM that it has the non-Lariat switches.
If I change the RH switch setting in the SCCM but leave the Lariat switches in, I get an internal failure code for the switches in the SCCM so that's telling me that the resistance is different for each button press when you compare the 2 versions of switches. Steering wheel switches are on a voltage divider circuit and each button press changes the resistance 'signal' to the SCCM.

I have a call in to a friend that works at an OEM manufacturer/supplier to Ford - he's investigating the resistance values for me since they only have the contract for Broncos right now.

In answer to your question, I have not updated the mileage yet. Didn't want to until I get the switch issue sorted out. This is a deal breaker and low Wifey approval not having the switches working. I have all mileage documented - the new to me cluster has more mileage than ours does, so I'm waiting for our stock cluster to work its way up to the mileage on the XLT cluster.

Thanks again,
Dan-O

svgrdr

First Name
Elton
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger XLT
Hello all,

I'll soon be taking delivery of my new (to me) Ranger Lariat. After a lot of debate I jumped on a reasonably priced 2020 with the 501A package. The leather, B&O, and adaptive cruise were important features for me.

The one thing I'm not stoked about is the instrument cluster. I much prefer the basic XLT arrangement with analog tach/speedo and a center info screen.

Would it be feasible to swap my Lariat cluster for an XLT one? Is there any functionality I would lose?
I much prefer real guages and less screen as well, and I am very happy with my XLT

OP
OP

NHR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tundra
Did anyone else lose the adaptive cruise?

I bought a used XLT cluster and plan on swapping this weekend.

9zero1790

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 super crew fx4 sport
Occupation
air breather
Main reason I got the XLT is the gauge set. The only thing I’m really missing is the lariat led headlights. But…. That’s what aftermarket is for along with this forum. It’s on the bucket list now
Same for me! I did not like the lariat cluster screen. i guess im old school but i prefer the analog gauges and the three split sections vs. the more modern. Also the lariat price tag had a factor for me as well lol. everything I wanted was on the xlt list with the mid package.

OP
OP

NHR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tundra
I'm running with an XLT dash cluster in my Lariat.

The cluster is plug and play, but...you loose the Nav, Media and Phone display. Worse, the upper right steering wheel switch pack also looses most functions.

The good news is you can swap In an XLT switch pack, make a single SCCM config change using Forscan and voila! it all works like an XLT.

I think with a lot more SCCM config changes, the Nav, Phone and media menus/displays and be enabled on the XLT cluster but I've not had the time to experiment.
Did you lose the adaptive cruise functionality like the other poster in this thread?

LB357

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Thanks for the reply.

I think I'm going to take the plunge and buy the other RH switch assembly.
There's only 2 different versions available and there's also only 2 listed in the SCCM so it makes sense to me to install the non-Lariat switch assembly and tell the SCCM that it has the non-Lariat switches.
If I change the RH switch setting in the SCCM but leave the Lariat switches in, I get an internal failure code for the switches in the SCCM so that's telling me that the resistance is different for each button press when you compare the 2 versions of switches. Steering wheel switches are on a voltage divider circuit and each button press changes the resistance 'signal' to the SCCM.

I have a call in to a friend that works at an OEM manufacturer/supplier to Ford - he's investigating the resistance values for me since they only have the contract for Broncos right now.

In answer to your question, I have not updated the mileage yet. Didn't want to until I get the switch issue sorted out. This is a deal breaker and low Wifey approval not having the switches working. I have all mileage documented - the new to me cluster has more mileage than ours does, so I'm waiting for our stock cluster to work its way up to the mileage on the XLT cluster.

Thanks again,
Dan-O
Do you have the part # for the other RH switch assembly? If not, I believe I've got it jotted down somewhere and can look as I was eventually planning to do the same. I plan to hop back into Forscan to see if there's anywhere I can look at messing with ACC settings to bring that back too.

LB357

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Nope, they still work. I actually changed the controls in Forscan to the non-Lariat switch pack thinking I needed to after swapping the clusters which made them quit working but after realizing that I changed the setting back to the Lariat pack and had volume control, prev/next, etc.
Correcting myself on a previous reply, I think I misunderstood what NHR had asked when originally asking about the switch packs. The upper right switch pack (arrow switches) does not work as is, being in the Lariat configuration still, and I have not yet swapped out for the other variant to test with Forscan changes. Wanted to clear that up for any future references.

5G Dan-O

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger
Occupation
Correcting myself on a previous reply, I think I misunderstood what NHR had asked when originally asking about the switch packs. The upper right switch pack (arrow switches) does not work as is, being in the Lariat configuration still, and I have not yet swapped out for the other variant to test with Forscan changes. Wanted to clear that up for any future references.
It has been confirmed that once the mid-level switch has been installed and changed in the SCCM to the correct option the RH switches will work.
https://www.ranger5g.com/forum/threads/lariat-to-xlt-instrument-cluster-swap.10788/post-340603

The part number for the switch is: SW-8207
So far Tasca had the best price but I have a friend that's investigating at dealer pricing.
https://www.tascaparts.com/oem-parts/ford-switch-assembly-control-sw8207

SOHK_Alumni

First Name
Win
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger, 2019 Ranger FX4, 2002 Vanden Plas, 1977 Eclat
Occupation
Glorified Mechanic
Did you lose the adaptive cruise functionality like the other poster in this thread?
Mine is a "base" Lariat so no adaptive cruise, but I've been looking to add it.

OP
OP

NHR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tundra
Bummer. I tried out my XLT cluster today.

I have a Lariat FX4 with adaptive cruise.

After hooking up the new cluster I didn't get any warnings, but I lost some functions. The Terrain Management switch didn't display what mode I was in and my locking diff also didn't display any indication of activating. The cluster also didn't quite fit; I couldn't get the lower right hand hole and alignment pin to line up.

I didn't drive it at all and switched back to the stock Lariat cluster. I'm going to do some research in Forscan to see if I can enable those displays, otherwise I'm sticking with the Lariat cluster.

I'm wondering if I need to find a cluster from an XLT FX4
Sponsored