XLT vs Lariat gauge cluster

NHR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tundra
Hello all,

I'll soon be taking delivery of my new (to me) Ranger Lariat. After a lot of debate I jumped on a reasonably priced 2020 with the 501A package. The leather, B&O, and adaptive cruise were important features for me.

The one thing I'm not stoked about is the instrument cluster. I much prefer the basic XLT arrangement with analog tach/speedo and a center info screen.

Would it be feasible to swap my Lariat cluster for an XLT one? Is there any functionality I would lose?
Sponsored

SOHK_Alumni

First Name
Win
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger, 2019 Ranger FX4, 2002 Vanden Plas, 1977 Eclat
Occupation
Glorified Mechanic
I'm running with an XLT dash cluster in my Lariat.

The cluster is plug and play, but...you loose the Nav, Media and Phone display. Worse, the upper right steering wheel switch pack also looses most functions.

The good news is you can swap In an XLT switch pack, make a single SCCM config change using Forscan and voila! it all works like an XLT.

I think with a lot more SCCM config changes, the Nav, Phone and media menus/displays and be enabled on the XLT cluster but I've not had the time to experiment.

Ranger_Rocks

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Lariat Super Cab FX4 White Platinum
Occupation
Wanderer
We almost ordered an XLT rather than Lariat for this very *clustered* reason. Wanted digital speedo in the center.

After 13 months, I've adjusted to the Lariat display and actually get along with it . . . even though the right-side is totally useless except for gear display.

Put some miles on it, you may adjust to the Lariat layout.

WhyNot21

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Lariat FX4 Screw 501A ...
Occupation
EE
This thread is fascinating to me. I never put much thought into my Lariat cluster. I don't seem to be missing anything. It did seem odd that a tach wasn't a default item, but was easy enough to add. For the most part, I just need to see the speedo.

Trigganometry

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 XLT scab 301A/tow 4X4 magnetic w/sport blackout
Occupation
Engineering
Main reason I got the XLT is the gauge set. The only thing I’m really missing is the lariat led headlights. But…. That’s what aftermarket is for along with this forum. It’s on the bucket list now

OP
OP

NHR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tundra
My first plan is to see if I can live with it. I've had many Ford rentals with the Lariat cluster and never liked it. Too gimmicky, too bright, and useless info.

My original plan was to find an XLT with 302A and the Tech package, then get aftermarket leather seats. Well optioned 4x4 XLTs are rare right now. When the Lariat popped up in the right color I had to jump on it.

Porpoise Hork

First Name
Bret
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 F150 XLT Powerboost FX4 302A Oxford White
Occupation
IT
My first plan is to see if I can live with it. I've had many Ford rentals with the Lariat cluster and never liked it. Too gimmicky, too bright, and useless info.

My original plan was to find an XLT with 302A and the Tech package, then get aftermarket leather seats. Well optioned 4x4 XLTs are rare right now. When the Lariat popped up in the right color I had to jump on it.
You can adjust the cluster brightness down. I keep mine at about 50% and it's plenty bright for day and darkens perfectly for night time. I also disabled the awful "Welcome Goodbye Backlighting" for the cluster which also made a huge difference.

Another thing to keep in mind is if you do decide to swap clusters and buy a used one. If it has more miles than your truck you cannot adjust the mileage down to match what your truck has unless you have the correct tools and 99.9% of us don't have the right kind of diagnostic tool that will do it. You can adjust the mileage up to match the truck if you buy a new cluster using Forscan.

Porpoise Hork

First Name
Bret
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
IT
Last edited:

Adventure Ranger

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger Lariate Crew Cab FX4 Sport
Occupation
Heavy Equipment / Truck shop Foreman
Vehicle Showcase
Lariat Cluster has a digital Tach as one of the display options. That's how I run my truck, left side is Tach with fuel and temp gauges always on screen.

Porpoise Hork

First Name
Bret
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
IT
Lariat Cluster has a digital Tach as one of the display options. That's how I run my truck, left side is Tach with fuel and temp gauges always on screen.
That's how I keep mine set, and usually have the right showing the current song playing since I almost always keep the infotainment screen on GPS to see what the reported traffic is like up ahead.

DT444T

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Sport 4x4 Lariat - Saber
Occupation
I'm fly. I'm pilot.
I lamented the lack of analog tachometer on the Lariat, but seeing the digital one made me not miss it anymore. I hate the digital tach.

I use the BullyDog tuner and have a digital-numerical tachometer representation. I can't imagine losing the functionality of the Lariat cluster just to gain an analog tachometer. I hate not having a tach, but I don't view the digital ones as a suitable alternative.

But it's pretty neat that you can swap them with relative ease.

OP
OP

NHR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tundra
Can you elaborate on your tach solution? What does it look like?

What functionality of the Lariat cluster do you not want to lose?

Bludrok

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.ranger5g.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger Lariat Tremor
I have had a Lariat since May and have ordered an XLT cluster. I do like the analog tach, but the main reason is because with the Lariat cluster, there is no way to show vehicle running temp, Fuel range (DTE), tach and digital speedo at the same time.

The Lariat cluster would be a million times better if it allowed you to put any of the options from the current setup on either left or right screen onto whichever screen you wanted. Fuel economy display on the right screen for instance.

Last edited:

LB357

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Lightning Blue Ranger
I have had a Lariat since May and have ordered an XLT cluster. I do like the analog tach, but the main reason is because with the Lariat cluster, there is no way to show vehicle running temp, Fuel range (DTE), tach and digital speedo at the same time.

The Lariat cluster would be a million times better if it allowed you to put any of the options from the current setup on either left or right screen onto whichever screen you wanted. Fuel economy display on the right screen for instance.
Thinking about doing the same, where did you order your XLT cluster from?
Sponsored