XLT vs Lariat gauge cluster

daczone

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Lariat
Button install is pretty straight forward.
I found it was just as easy to pop the steering wheel off and work on the bench as it was to stand on your head to find all the little screws that retain the trim plate around the switches.
Well it looks like I got a bad cluster, It does nothing when plugged in and forscan cannot find IPC and lots of errors about lost communication. Argh!

Does forscan update your mileage?
Sponsored

AvalancheFX4

First Name
Joel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Avalanche grey Lariat Ranger w/ fx4 package
Occupation
Keeping it real
Why pay for lariat features and pay again for XLT?? The lariat dash cluster is perfect, fits the truck interior well. The regular cluster looks like an economy car cluster.

5G Dan-O

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger
Occupation
Ford ASSET Instructor - Program Director
Well it looks like I got a bad cluster, It does nothing when plugged in and forscan cannot find IPC and lots of errors about lost communication. Argh!

Take the cluster out and double check that a pin or 2 didn't get bent in the connector. I've seen experienced techs bend pins before. Plus, you're standing on your head to plug it in, did you double check that it engaged?

Mileage can be set with FORScan but only up - you can't set mileage down. That's to keep people from doing nefarious things like setting the mileage back to increase resale/trade-in value.

Last edited:

5G Dan-O

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger
Occupation
Why pay for lariat features and pay again for XLT?? The lariat dash cluster is perfect, fits the truck interior well. The regular cluster looks like an economy car cluster.
Here's the short list:
The tachometer in the XLT is actually readable and looks like what a proper truck should have
The RH display of the Lariat is useless
The XLT has a temp gauge
The XLT has a nice fuel gauge
(Did I mention the tach?)
Because some car people have a disease and we can't leave things stock :)

daczone

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Lariat

Update: I bought another Ebay Cluster and success!!! It was within 300 miles of my truck (12k) so I just waited and then swapped it. This is THE best mod for the Lariat (IMO). I love having a real tach and the center LCD just seems easier to read. I did also buy the steering wheel right hand switch cluster, but have not felt the need to swap it (yet).

Fordup

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2022 Black Lariat Crew , 1966 Chevrolet Biscayne
Occupation
Retired YouTube Creator
Here's the short list:
The tachometer in the XLT is actually readable and looks like what a proper truck should have
The RH display of the Lariat is useless
The XLT has a temp gauge
The XLT has a nice fuel gauge
(Did I mention the tach?)
Because some car people have a disease and we can't leave things stock :)
I don't agree with anything you said. I think my Lariat cluster is perfect. What the heck do you need a big tech for when the computer has full control of the revs. Love having the speed limit, compass and gear display on the righr.

5G Dan-O

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger
Occupation
Cool thing about life is that everyone is allowed to have their own opinion.

I had a high end F150 that also had a tach and a speedo - like most all trucks do. Every other car I own has a tach and a speedo and only 2 of them are manual.
Sponsored