Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
What's this winter you speak of? ?

I have a receiver hitch and shackle, a tow strap and a pair of soft shackles. I do agree with Kent it's good to have a kinetic tow strap for when you're really having to pull yourself (or someone else out) when stuck good.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B08V576J6B/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B071R361Q9/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s02?ie=UTF8&th=1

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07TDCHY2...colid=1JZJN0W5WUIWA&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it&th=1

Tow Hitch.jpg

Tow Strap.jpg

Soft Shacles.jpg
Sponsored

Russd

First Name
jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vw bus 4runner
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
27° at my house in Arizona today ???

I have a receiver hitch and shackle, a tow strap and a pair of soft shackles. I do agree with Kent it's good to have a kinetic tow strap for when you're really having to pull yourself (or someone else out) when stuck good.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B08V576J6B/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B071R361Q9/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s02?ie=UTF8&th=1

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07TDCHY2...colid=1JZJN0W5WUIWA&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it&th=1

Tow Hitch.jpg

Tow Strap.jpg

Soft Shacles.jpg

khyros

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat Crewcab FX4
Vehicle Showcase
A pin is not a replacement for a hitch shackle. Pins are designed to withstand double shear from a receiver, your tow strap is applying a single load to the middle of it. This is why you hear of them bending - they're not designed to withstand bending moments. Furthermore, any sort of angle, and now you're rubbing up against the edge of your hitch, potentially cutting and damaging your strap. All of that is assuming you're applying a decent load to get the guy unstuck. If someone is just out of fuel and you're rolling them along to the gas station a block away, that should be fine.

As for recovery gear, I question why are you buying any to help other people get unstuck? I have a bunch, but it's for when I get stuck myself off road. That said, I will absolutely stop and help someone with the gear that I already have.

1) Don't get any straps with metal hooks at the end of them. Just don't do it. Loops are king of safety.
2) The easiest way to hook up to your vehicle is a hitch receiver bow shackle. If for whatever reason you need to pull them in reverse (I don't recommend btw), you have your tow hooks up front, but you'd need a soft shackle to attach to them.
3) Speaking of shackles, I'd recommend soft shackles as your default, only using bow shackles when a soft one won't do. Such examples would be small openings that the soft shackle can't fit through or metal edges that would damage your soft shackle. That said, I would probably say you need a 2nd metal shackle (because you already have one from your hitch), and 2 soft shackles. That way you can pretty much do any hook up you want.
4) In a perfect world, I'd recommend 3 straps, a 10' tree saver that you can use as a bridle, and a snatch strap and a tow strap. On a budget, I would eliminate the 10' tree saver first, then the tow strap second.
5) Weigh those straps down. Plenty of options to do that. But make sure you do it. Brownie points if it's highly visible to make sure that no one hurts themselves on the straps that they may not have seen (more of an issue with a winch line than a strap though).
6) Shovel. Obvious reasons.
7) Kitty litter. A lot of winter 'stuck' vehicles can be fixed with just a bit of grip. Plus, it can be handy to have a bit of extra weight over your rear axle to give you a bit more grip.

As to non-recovery stuff... I'm thinking for when you are the person who's slid off the side of a deserted road...
A) Blanket(s). #1 advise is to stay with your vehicle, but you need to stay warm in your vehicle.
B) Shovel. Clear out behind your exhaust so you can idle the engine in short periods (conserving fuel) to get a bit of cabin heat.
C) Hazard triangle, or something else to alert people to the fact that you're in your vehicle and in need of help.
D) Food and water. Always good to have a bit of a pick-me-up.
E) Windshield wiper fluid. Not really for being stuck, but I find that I always run out of it at the worst possible time (probably related to why I ran out), so having a liter or so to help get you to the service station can be clutch.

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
27° at my house in Arizona today ???
That's about borderline of what I can handle. Any colder than that you wouldn't see me until spring when I unthaw. ?

D Fresh

Banned
Banned
First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Lariat FX4, '17 FiST, '16 CX-5, '95 YJ
Occupation
Milkman
A pin is not a replacement for a hitch shackle. Pins are designed to withstand double shear from a receiver, your tow strap is applying a single load to the middle of it. This is why you hear of them bending - they're not designed to withstand bending moments. Furthermore, any sort of angle, and now you're rubbing up against the edge of your hitch, potentially cutting and damaging your strap. All of that is assuming you're applying a decent load to get the guy unstuck. If someone is just out of fuel and you're rolling them along to the gas station a block away, that should be fine.

As for recovery gear, I question why are you buying any to help other people get unstuck? I have a bunch, but it's for when I get stuck myself off road. That said, I will absolutely stop and help someone with the gear that I already have.

1) Don't get any straps with metal hooks at the end of them. Just don't do it. Loops are king of safety.
2) The easiest way to hook up to your vehicle is a hitch receiver bow shackle. If for whatever reason you need to pull them in reverse (I don't recommend btw), you have your tow hooks up front, but you'd need a soft shackle to attach to them.
3) Speaking of shackles, I'd recommend soft shackles as your default, only using bow shackles when a soft one won't do. Such examples would be small openings that the soft shackle can't fit through or metal edges that would damage your soft shackle. That said, I would probably say you need a 2nd metal shackle (because you already have one from your hitch), and 2 soft shackles. That way you can pretty much do any hook up you want.
4) In a perfect world, I'd recommend 3 straps, a 10' tree saver that you can use as a bridle, and a snatch strap and a tow strap. On a budget, I would eliminate the 10' tree saver first, then the tow strap second.
5) Weigh those straps down. Plenty of options to do that. But make sure you do it. Brownie points if it's highly visible to make sure that no one hurts themselves on the straps that they may not have seen (more of an issue with a winch line than a strap though).
6) Shovel. Obvious reasons.
7) Kitty litter. A lot of winter 'stuck' vehicles can be fixed with just a bit of grip. Plus, it can be handy to have a bit of extra weight over your rear axle to give you a bit more grip.

As to non-recovery stuff... I'm thinking for when you are the person who's slid off the side of a deserted road...
A) Blanket(s). #1 advise is to stay with your vehicle, but you need to stay warm in your vehicle.
B) Shovel. Clear out behind your exhaust so you can idle the engine in short periods (conserving fuel) to get a bit of cabin heat.
C) Hazard triangle, or something else to alert people to the fact that you're in your vehicle and in need of help.
D) Food and water. Always good to have a bit of a pick-me-up.
E) Windshield wiper fluid. Not really for being stuck, but I find that I always run out of it at the worst possible time (probably related to why I ran out), so having a liter or so to help get you to the service station can be clutch.
These are all really solid points.

SigOris

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Ranger Lariat Crew Cab
Occupation
Retired

Tow Hitch.jpg

Tow Strap.jpg

Soft Shacles.jpg
Winter = less Massholes in Maine ???

OP
OP
Austin

Austin

First Name
Austin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Ranger XLT 2022
Occupation
Heavy Equipment Operator
I just flat out avoid towing anyone out of a ditch, and totally understand if someone balked at towing my desperate ass out if i was begging them.
I have Ford roadside and CAA for calling tow trucks who have the right equipment and insurance
I get what you mean, but I can't tell you how many times I've been pulled out of a ditch whether it was in my chevy cavalier, mazda 6, or ford escape. I think now that I'm the one with a truck I just owe some back. That being said, if I'm completely sideways, or something of that nature of course I'd call in the tow truck. Either for someone else or myself.

Radioman

First Name
Kent
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Lariat SuperCrew 4x2, 2017 Toyota Limited Highlander w/Platinum Pkg., 2012 Jeep JK Rubicon
Occupation
Retired RF Telecommications Manager
I get what you mean, but I can't tell you how many times I've been pulled out of a ditch whether it was in my chevy cavalier, mazda 6, or ford escape. I think now that I'm the one with a truck I just owe some back. That being said, if I'm completely sideways, or something of that nature of course I'd call in the tow truck. Either for someone else or myself.
Several times that I have helped recover a vehicle, I have been offered a cash payment but I always refuse and tell the person to "pay it forward". That said, even if you feel you need to help someone out because you have been helped in the past, you still need to be aware that hooking up to a vehicle without a good recovery point has the potential of body damage to that vehicle and the driver may come after you for damages. Sad but true.

9zero1790

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 super crew fx4 sport
Occupation
air breather
Is a pin a replacement for a shackle? I was thinking about getting a shackle in the event I could help someone out of a ditch but realized I had a tow rope and a hitch pin.
im not saying or claiming a pin is the best choice. it is not. however, the pin is a much better, safer and stronger option than placing a strap or chain over a hitch ball or hook. hitch balls are not designed for the type of stress involved with recovery. here is an image of the result of an attempted recovery using a strap over a hitch ball. from what ive read this happens several times every year in the states. results in injury or death. in this case the driver was impaled direct to his face and head. his wife and kid were in the truck and watched it happen... soap box point is if you do not have the correct stuff to do recovery safely do not do it. if you must try recovery and use a pin in the hitch, a ruined hitch is a lot easier to deal with than injury or death.
1666653617940.png
1666654374481.png

Last edited:

Peragrin

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger
Occupation
Purchasing
Several times that I have helped recover a vehicle, I have been offered a cash payment but I always refuse and tell the person to "pay it forward". That said, even if you feel you need to help someone out because you have been helped in the past, you still need to be aware that hooking up to a vehicle without a good recovery point has the potential of body damage to that vehicle and the driver may come after you for damages. Sad but true.
20+ years ago as a teenager I spun out and slid deep enough into a ditch in my old cutlas that i couldn't get out, I was about to call a tow truck when a guy stopped by to help pull me out.

He got me out quick. but for the next couple of months of owning that vehicle wouldn't drive straight. he bent one of the linkages, in the front wheel.

now I didn't care I paid cash for said car. and in February the following year I bought my first new car.

however when you pull someone out and you don't know the correct points to attach to then don't pull them out. you can break more things very easily.

That said being nice to motorists i trouble is always good.

My wife is a Nurse, she doesn't like me saying that because if a situation happens and she applies first aid and the person dies,or is injured from her first aid care that person or their relatives can sue us and take everything including our home away from us. because that is how medical liability is handled in the USA.

being a good sarmitan can be very expensive.

Wes Siler

First Name
Wes
Threads
Reaction score
Website
WesSiler.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger XLT FX4, 2020 Toyota Land Cruiser
Occupation
Writer
Absolutely everyone here should keep a pair of Maxtrax in their truck. They make shit sooo easy.

Other than what people have pointed out already, consider carrying two hitch receiver recovery points. That way you can solicit the help of another vehicle, or easily add one to a vehicle you're trying to help.
Sponsored