John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat, 2019 Ford Mustang
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
We haven't had much rain around here which makes leaks hard to detect. My truck stays outside all the time. We recently had a couple inches of rain, storm through with heavy winds.
Got into the truck a day later and there was a dry streak of water from top mirror cluster area dripped down almost all the way. It's a first time thing and I'll have to keep an eye open. Wife thought maybe I didn't dry the inside of windshield properly, but haven't toughed it in awhile.
Anyone else see anything similar?
Sponsored

• Sad
Reactions: Doc

P. A. Schilke

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4 Lariat 4x4, 2020 Lincoln Nautilus, 2005 Alfa Motorhome
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase
We haven't had much rain around here which makes leaks hard to detect. My truck stays outside all the time. We recently had a couple inches of rain, storm through with heavy winds.
Got into the truck a day later and there was a dry streak of water from top mirror cluster area dripped down almost all the way. It's a first time thing and I'll have to keep an eye open. Wife thought maybe I didn't dry the inside of windshield properly, but haven't toughed it in awhile.
Anyone else see anything similar?
Hi John,

If you do have a leak like that, you should hear wind noise or whistle. If you do not, I would suggest monitoring and maybe use a garden hose, weather permitting (no ice) and check. It is possible there was a sealer skip, but with modern robotic install of the windshield, this old problem has all but been eliminated.

Best,
Phil Schilke
Ranger Vehicle Engineering
Ford Motor Co. Retired

OP
OP
BHunted

BHunted

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Hi John,

If you do have a leak like that, you should hear wind noise or whistle. If you do not, I would suggest monitoring and maybe use a garden hose, weather permitting (no ice) and check. It is possible there was a sealer skip, but with modern robotic install of the windshield, this old problem has all but been eliminated.

Best,
Phil Schilke
Ranger Vehicle Engineering
Ford Motor Co. Retired
Thanks Phil.... will be doing that. I've had the truck soaked from various short rains and even wash it quite often. That's what bugs me.

I may pop off the hatch behind the mirror and see if there is some clue in there like a corrosive part. I hate leaks. Hoping its some weird fluke...
We also started getting frosty nights. If moisture somehow built up from me just getting soaked or rain getting in when the door was open, maybe it built up along top, froze, defrosted and slipped down... (shrug).... Will keep a close eye. Thank you sir...:thumbsup:

OP
OP
BHunted

BHunted

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Whelp, it happened again without rhyme or reason. Yesterday looked like the truck just came from the tundra frozen with heavy dew. As it was defrosting, I started getting a streak of water down the inside of the windshield. As with any leak, water finds the path of the least resistance and started dripping also onto the front pillar grips. Most from behind the center top cluster.
So first week of Jan, it's going back to have them investigate the leak, possibly replace the windshield as it looks like it has imperfections near the lower passenger area where it looks like the glass is molten or like a mirage. Install my cargo lights and run through the programming. A couple weeks ago the truck went bonkers with every light coming on, brake peddle frozen and wouldn't start. The code tables indicated a bunch of shorts and such. So going to be completely checked out.

This is very frustrating. I know quite a few of you had issues, but all these issues have me really wondering about the Ranger quality control as my F150s, SUVs, Cars, etc... never had these probs.

rang19ca

First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT 4X4 2024 Escape ST-Line
Occupation
Retired Diesel Mechanic
OP. I hope your dealer can get it fixed. There is nothing worse than intermittent leaks.
Sponsored