Will removing overflow coolant hose from over flow tank introduce air into system

AvalancheFX4

First Name
Joel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Avalanche grey Lariat Ranger w/ fx4 package
Occupation
Keeping it real
Accidentally removed it while trying to check my air filter's condition after I was done with my oil change. Some coolant sprayed out but I quickly plugged it back in. Thanks!
Sponsored

rydfree

First Name
Benny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger FX4 Super crew Lariet - Mercedes GLK
Occupation
Maintenance
Vehicle Showcase
Accidentally removed it while trying to check my air filter's condition after I was done with my oil change. Some coolant sprayed out but I quickly plugged it back in. Thanks!
I would not think so as you would have fluid coming out of the hose end as well .

Bsthroop

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Lariat 4x2 Sport
Occupation
Broadband/ Microwave Engineer
Sounds like very little was lost, after a warmup/cooldown cycle any minimal air will be cleared out. Just check tank level after to ensure it is at the correct level.

OP
OP
AvalancheFX4

AvalancheFX4

First Name
Joel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Keeping it real
I would not think so as you would have fluid coming out of the hose end as well .
Sounds like very little was lost, after a warmup/cooldown cycle any minimal air will be cleared out. Just check tank level after to ensure it is at the correct level.
Ok thanks for the quick reply's. Will keep an eye on the level.

Radioman

First Name
Kent
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Lariat SuperCrew 4x2, 2017 Toyota Limited Highlander w/Platinum Pkg., 2012 Jeep JK Rubicon
Occupation
Retired RF Telecommications Manager
As far as air entering the system, you will be fine. I bought a gallon of coolant to have on hand if I needed to top off. Just be sure you purchase the correct coolant as Ford changes the mixture from time to time.

Attachments

Frenchy

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger, 2019 cargo van, soon to be 1993
Occupation
Crown Forklift Technician
Should be fine. Next time make sure you take the cap off the Overflow Reservoir first. Being a surge type system you should still be fine

OP
OP
AvalancheFX4

AvalancheFX4

First Name
Joel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Keeping it real
As far as air entering the system, you will be fine. I bought a gallon of coolant to have on hand if I needed to top off. Just be sure you purchase the correct coolant as Ford changes the mixture from time to time.
Wonder if 2022 rangers changed formulation since 2020?
Drove around town a lot today. This is where it was sitting.

3EC8ABBC-261C-4CF7-B57F-83D9F3E1083D.jpeg

Frenchy

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger, 2019 cargo van, soon to be 1993
Occupation
Crown Forklift Technician
That change was made during the 2019 production..be glad you do not have the orange stuff as it will kill cooling systems.

Radioman

First Name
Kent
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Lariat SuperCrew 4x2, 2017 Toyota Limited Highlander w/Platinum Pkg., 2012 Jeep JK Rubicon
Occupation
Retired RF Telecommications Manager
That change was made during the 2019 production..be glad you do not have the orange stuff as it will kill cooling systems.
The owners of 2019 and 2020 Rangers need to pay attention to which coolant is in their vehicle. In July 2019 Ford switched from Orange (WSS-M97B44-D2) coolant to Yellow (WSS-M97B57-A2). Unfortunately, Ford did not make the change in the 2020 Owners Manual which still lists Orange as the correct coolant. Ford did update the Owners Manual for 2021. The Orange and the Yellow coolant are NOT compatible.

EDIT: Interestingly, the 4th printing of the 2019 Ranger Owners Manual does list Yellow as the coolant to use, the 2nd version of the 2020 manual lists Orange and the 2021 manual lists Yellow. Ford should be ashamed of the early manuals for the Ranger. A lot of cut and paste went into the manuals and there are many errors.
Sponsored

Last edited: