First Name
Nathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 ranger lariat fx4, 2019 mazda cx3, 1963 falco
Occupation
Leo
Is there a way to change the carrier from at&t to my cell phone carrier?

I havent checked the owners manual yet, i did a quick forum search and didnt find much..
Sponsored

Trigganometry

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 XLT scab 301A/tow 4X4 magnetic w/sport blackout
Occupation
Engineering
Yup, it’s AT&T for hotspot. If you have service already it’s an extra $10 a month to activate the truck hotspot modem

OP
OP
Nathan289

Nathan289

First Name
Nathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Leo
Yup, it’s AT&T for hotspot. If you have service already it’s an extra $10 a month to activate the truck hotspot modem
Well damn.. not signing up with at&t to get it.. guess it will never get used

Trigganometry

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 XLT scab 301A/tow 4X4 magnetic w/sport blackout
Occupation
Engineering
Well damn.. not signing up with at&t to get it.. guess it will never get used
Think they got a separate plan if you don’t already have service with them. I’m guessing but if I remember right it was like $25 a month

Augie81

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4
The other option you have if you have passengers with tablets, laptops, etc that need wifi is to use your phone as a personal hotspot. I have At&T as my phone carrier and never saw the point of signing up for the Ford hotspot. Of course I don't usually have passengers aside from my dog and he is totally happy just looking out the window. :)

OP
OP
Nathan289

Nathan289

First Name
Nathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Leo
Think they got a separate plan if you don’t already have service with them. I’m guessing but if I remember right it was like $25 a month
Its more of an at&t will never see any of my money thing than signing up for a separate plan. Though that is another part of the deal breaker..

I can just hot spot devices with my phone and current carrier if needed. Just thought since the truck has this feature it would be nice to use it..

VAMike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat SuperCab
It would be nice to get some use out of the external antenna, but unless the price got down under $10/month (after taxes and bs "fees") forget it.

db_tanker

First Name
Darrell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger / 2018 Honda Civic EX 5 door
Occupation
Process Professional
I've spoken about it on here a bit. We have T-mobile and I have the hotspot with unlimited as sometimes we are in an area in the boonies with no T-mo service...but we can make calls over wifi so it works out pretty well for us.

D Fresh

Banned
Banned
First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Lariat FX4, '17 FiST, '16 CX-5, '95 YJ
Occupation
Milkman
I don't understand the value of this feature for the majority of folks.

Everybody's smart phone will function as a Hotspot. Why would they need their truck to do it too?

LoneRNGR

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger XLT
Occupation
Systems Engineer
but unless the price got down under $10/month (after taxes and bs "fees") forget it.
I purchased 1 year of unlimited data for $200.00 + $0.69 state tax. Which is equal to $16.72 a month.

I’m with you. It is a little more than what I want to pay since I have data on my cellular phone, but it is very convenient and it lets my little girl watch videos on trips. I haven’t decided if I’ll renew next year.

One cool thing is that coverage is excellent. Even though it is ATT, I think it is under the same configuration as data backup systems for commercial businesses, which means it could be using a non-ATT network for signal, although you would never know it, other than to observe a lack of signal on another nearby ATT cellular phone.

FoMoCoDave

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XLT
This would be worth it if you could use the bluetooth apps with wifi or something to make apps work.

Just looking for a way to have GPS navigation without the google auto USB connection. Talking to you Sygic.

mtbikernate

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT 4x4
I purchased 1 year of unlimited data for $200.00 + $0.69 state tax. Which is equal to $16.72 a month.

I’m with you. It is a little more than what I want to pay since I have data on my cellular phone, but it is very convenient and it lets my little girl watch videos on trips. I haven’t decided if I’ll renew next year.

One cool thing is that coverage is excellent. Even though it is ATT, I think it is under the same configuration as data backup systems for commercial businesses, which means it could be using a non-ATT network for signal, although you would never know it, other than to observe a lack of signal on another nearby ATT cellular phone.
It was cheaper for me to pay the $200/yr to activate the Ford modem than it was to upgrade my phones to unlimited data. Limited data on the phones works fine for me, except when I do road trips.

I've also noticed that the reception is quite good (comparatively speaking, anyway). I've managed to get a signal with the Ford modem in places where there's not a single cell phone in existence that'll get a signal. It's not perfect, as I've also found some limits with it, but it's better, and it's the exact sort of reason why I activated it.

Data on my phone for Waze and to stream music (not always, but sometimes) now goes through the truck. And my wife browsing the internet on her phone while we drive also goes through it, so the mobile data on our phones goes a little further.

I wish the plan wasn't through AT&T, but it is what it is.

Chappy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Shadow Black 2019 Ford Ranger XLT 4x2
Its more of an at&t will never see any of my money thing than signing up for a separate plan. Though that is another part of the deal breaker..

I can just hot spot devices with my phone and current carrier if needed. Just thought since the truck has this feature it would be nice to use it..
As an ex AT&T employee, I fully support this sentiment. When I quit, so did my wallet. I'd sooner use a string and soup cans before going back to AT&T.

Using T-Mo now, and couldn't be happier. If the modem could be unlocked to run with T-Mo, I'd use it. Not with ATT.
Sponsored