Why Is The Mileage So Bad On The Tremor?

Ronbo

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT FX4+
Occupation
Retired LEO Sgt., USAF & USA Veteran.
Vehicle Showcase

krane

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Focus RS
1500 averaging 21.2. better than I expected

cbull

First Name
Curtis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 honda civic hatchback CVT 2017 ram cummins
Occupation
Farmer
Shhhhhh I’d rather live in ignorance on this one lol
Sometimes Me too, I've always liked the lieometers fuel mileage on just about every thing I've had that has the feature. I've had a couple ram cummins trucks that read really high, it was great, unfortunately on both I was being lied too.

Steve23

First Name
Stephen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger Lariat
Occupation
Software Engineer
Sometimes Me too, I've always liked the lieometers fuel mileage on just about every thing I've had that has the feature. I've had a couple ram cummins trucks that read really high, it was great, unfortunately on both I was being lied too.
Luckily I’ve never gotten close to running out of gas. I think the lowest I’ve gotten is 20 till empty or something. I’m assuming those two systems are linked (mpg and remaining travel possible)

ksuds49

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Tremor & 2005 Land Rover LR3
Occupation
Do things for peoples
1st tank the dealer topped off and I forgot to note the mileage. 2nd tank the truck said 21mpg and my manual calc said 18.87 for a mix of highway and around town. Only 572 miles so far.

ksuds49

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Tremor & 2005 Land Rover LR3
Occupation
Do things for peoples
I’ve noticed when using Waze there’s a 1mph difference between the truck and Waze GPS calc.

BcP28

First Name
Bennett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford F150, 2015 Ford Edge Sport
Occupation
Engineer
As far as the actual EPA label goes, the base Ranger is a "2-Cycle" EPA label - tested on the traditional EPA City (FTP) and Highway drive cycles, which are not very stressful on a vehicle.

https://www.epa.gov/vehicle-and-fuel-emissions-testing/dynamometer-drive-schedules

The Ranger Tremor was tested as a "3-Cycle" fuel economy label, which factors in a much more aggressive "US06" drive cycle to the Highway label, thus the lower label value. As to why Ford did this, I can't say for sure, but likely something to do with emissions certification (EPA regulation) given that the Tremor would be worse in terms of drag vs a regular Ranger (lift and larger/aggressive tires would make it worse). This information can be found in the EPA Fuel Economy Guide for any given model year.

Remember, OEM's are bound to fuel economy test practices as defined by EPA regulation. They all use scientific test methods to measure fuel economy in a dyno/emissions-lab. Changes that appear small to the end user (like the difference between a Tremor and an FX4) can result in fairly significant differences measured in the 'perfect' conditions of a test lab.

The EPA FE Guide can be found here, and contains about everything you'd want to know about fuel economy labels for any vehicle sold in the US.

https://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/download.shtml

And as with pretty much everything these days, YMMV ?‍♂

r1ch999999

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat Crew Cab 4x4
Occupation
Software Engineer
You can see my FX4 mileage in my signature. It’s not that good.

RunBeerFish

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Ranger Tremor
Occupation
Substation Electrician
I'm averaging 22.2 (when my trucks not in the dealership, for the second time, for repairs with under 2000 miles). That is combined highway and city.

OP
OP
HenryMac

HenryMac

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 SuperCab XL - FX4 - Magnetic - Rocksliders
Occupation
Mech. Engineer - Retired
You can see my FX4 mileage in my signature. It’s not that good.
19.3 mpg.... are you a sport mode guy? I'm getting 25 mpg in our FX4. I'm a "cruise control" guy.

halligan1201

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger
Occupation
Emergency Management
Vehicle Showcase
A large part of that estimate is due to the removal of the front air dam on the Tremor. That's why the hit is on the highway miles end. There is a YouTube video out there where a guy did a review of his FX4 and he mentions that once he took the air dam off, his mileage dropped off. I would think it would be pretty easy to rig a quick removal setup so you could take the air dam off and on as needed if you were worried about the mileage (off course you also have to order an air dam since the Tremor doesn't have it from the factory)

OP
OP
HenryMac

HenryMac

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 SuperCab XL - FX4 - Magnetic - Rocksliders
Occupation
Mech. Engineer - Retired
A large part of that estimate is due to the removal of the front air dam on the Tremor. That's why the hit is on the highway miles end. There is a YouTube video out there where a guy did a review of his FX4 and he mentions that once he took the air dam off, his mileage dropped off. I would think it would be pretty easy to rig a quick removal setup so you could take the air dam off and on as needed if you were worried about the mileage (off course you also have to order an air dam since the Tremor doesn't have it from the factory)
I'd like to see that video. Could you post up a link?

What air dam are you referring too? There is no single "air dam" on an FX4. But there is on a non FX4 4x4.

The only thing the FX4 has (other than the skid plate) are two individual pieces, in front of the front tires, beside the skid plate. Is that what you are referring too?

Just trying to clarify what you are talking about when you state "due to the removal of the front air dam".

Other than the skid plate painted black on the Tremor, see below, 'm not seeing much of anything different than an FX4... well, except for the lift and the tires.

006.JPG

Tremor.jpg

Last edited: