Why do people like roof top tents so much?

D Fresh

Banned
Banned
First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Lariat FX4, '17 FiST, '16 CX-5, '95 YJ
Occupation
Milkman
My FrontRunner was around $1,200 and has held up to some torrential storms...love it except for climbing up/down the ladders...that's why I'm considering design/build my own square drop...
Definitely one of the cheaper options.

Still not paying that for a tent that requires me to break camp to go for a drive.

Which is the biggest problem with RTTs, GFCs, and Alu-Cabs in my eyes.
Sponsored

Msfitoy

First Name
Sid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger, 2003 MINI Cooper S, 2021 Honda CT125
Occupation
Automotive, Industrial Designer
Vehicle Showcase
This was why my wife didn't want one. I wouldn't have minded so much but she pointed out navigating a ladder to go pee in the middle of the night was not her idea of fun, I couldn't argue with that. Seems like a small thing but was actually a big reason we decided to go with the canopy camper.
There's a hack for that...I have a removable funnel + tube running discretely to the bottom of the truck...

Msfitoy

First Name
Sid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Definitely one of the cheaper options.

Still not paying that for a tent that requires me to break camp to go for a drive.

Which is the biggest problem with RTTs, GFCs, and Alu-Cabs in my eyes.
Which is why I'm building a square drop...for now, I have a Gazelle pop up for a base camp if I foresee needing to explore at camp...

D Fresh

Banned
Banned
First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Milkman
Which is why I'm building a square drop...for now, I have a Gazelle pop up for a base camp if I foresee needing to explore at camp...
That's the way to do it.

BCRanger

First Name
Miles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Ranger Lariat FX4 2020
Occupation
Software
Breaking camp with the Alu-Cab takes almost no time at all... that's the thing that sold me. Planning to install custom sliders to make the process of putting all the gear away almost as quick.

D Fresh

Banned
Banned
First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Milkman
Breaking camp with the Alu-Cab takes almost no time at all... that's the thing that sold me. Planning to install custom sliders to make the process of putting all the gear away almost as quick.

What if your camping partner(s) want to hang at camp and take a nap while you're out?

Wouldn't work for me. Same situation as a RTT also. Too close to the cost of an actual TT for me to justify. TT financing options also make them more eye catching to me.

Glad to hear it'll work for you. Those things are slick. Maybe if I were single.

BCRanger

First Name
Miles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Ranger Lariat FX4 2020
Occupation
Software
What if your camping partner(s) want to hang at camp and take a nap while you're out?
Yep, that's a downside for sure. Same reason I'd never buy a motorhome over a trailer. No matter where you're going you have to take everything with you.

[edit] For us as a family with two kids who like to backpack and go out in the bush, once we make camp we really don't go anywhere else that our feet can't take us.

Last edited:

lawrench

First Name
Harry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat SCrew FX4 Lightning Blue
Vehicle Showcase
That was my first thought too but if a bear can climb a tree what's stopping him from climbing up the back side of your Ranger? If they smell food (you) they're going to get up into that tent one way or another. o_O Plus with my luck I'd forget I was up in a RTT and open the door and fall straight out!
How about things that slither? I am not a fan of having a viper warm up with me on the ground.

Msfitoy

First Name
Sid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase

Now we're back to the same dilemma as before...$4,000+

viperwolf

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Everest 4x4 Titanium BI Turbo, 2015 Ford Ecosport Titanium
Occupation
Retired Military
How about things that slither? I am not a fan of having a viper warm up with me on the ground.
Of all the times Ive slept in a M sleeping bag straight on the ground, no tent. I never had that happen, but the thought of it is not cool. I cant imagine waking up to one in there with me, nothing you could do really. Anytime I go into the woods I carry, not to intentionally kill anything. Ive scared off wolves and coyotes a few times. That would not help for a snake though. What a bad situation to be in.

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
Nope me either! That's why I don't sleep out in the woods like a homeless person. ?

I get why people do it to get away from everything and be out with nature and I like that too just during the day. Come night time I need a nice comfy bed and a warm shower. My friend just bought a camper and he's been trying to talk us into going away with them. Hint, it's not working. lol

lawrench

First Name
Harry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat SCrew FX4 Lightning Blue
Vehicle Showcase
Of all the times Ive slept in a M sleeping bag straight on the ground, no tent. I never had that happen, but the thought of it is not cool. I cant imagine waking up to one in there with me, nothing you could do really. Anytime I go into the woods I carry, not to intentionally kill anything. Ive scared off wolves and coyotes a few times. That would not help for a snake though. What a bad situation to be in.
When I was in the Army, there was times that we would have to check our sleeping bags for all sorts of things. While in training, we went to the field, the week before a soldier woke up and had a scorpion sting here in the face. That had to suck.

But being from Texas, it has happened to me a few times, luckily, my hunting partner was able to coax it away. But where I am from, snakes, spiders, alligators and other things love to visit you when you are on the ground. Better to be off of the ground, but I am too old to do any camping. My wife thinks camping is staying at a Motel.

viperwolf

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Everest 4x4 Titanium BI Turbo, 2015 Ford Ecosport Titanium
Occupation
Retired Military
Nope me either! That's why I don't sleep out in the woods like a homeless person. ?

I get why people do it to get away from everything and be out with nature and I like that too just during the day. Come night time I need a nice comfy bed and a warm shower. My friend just bought a camper and he's been trying to talk us into going away with them. Hint, it's not working. lol
The trick is bring the Damper with you, then you will be comfy and safe. You can even talk to it and cuddle. Then wake up like Cinderella with all the birds and free spirited animals surrounding you and singing.

or a Gangsta Bunny wants the Damper for himself and takes you out for it.