Why do people like roof top tents so much?

dtech

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger Lariat FX4, chromed and forever damperless
BTW, how's that 9-5 holding up? Still mourning Saab, my Viggen was one of the favourite cars I've owned. They were so far ahead of their time -- building boosted I-4s decades before Ford and everyone else discovered them.
yeah Saab wasn't the 1st maker to turbo charge - but they were the 1st to make the turbo suitable for daily driving, the 1st maker to utilize solid state controls - they called it APC , automated performance control with a waste gate and blow off valve . Until a few yrs before they exited the auto market they were using a block designed licensed from Triumph of all people - but at one time like in WWII the English produced class leading engines - like the Merlin design used in the P51.
Sponsored

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.danholmesphoto.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger FX4 Super Cab, 2019 Mazda 3 hatch,
Occupation
Photographer
I've had a South African Howling Moon RTT for about 10 years mounted on a 2006 Xterra - well before they started being made in the US. I've probably spent well over a year sleeping in it. It's been one of the best purchases I've ever made - but it fit my style of camping / photo tripping.
Pros - super easy to set up, very minimal impact - no carving a tent platform, comfortable, warm, cool, very wind and rain proof, great access to many spots - no trailer to pull, or large camper full of rattling stuff. The view from up top is also great.
Cons - not the greatest for longer term camping, where one wants to drive during the day - gotta break camp and fold it up. Takes a bit longer to close it up, but it's not much of a hassle. I'm sure it cut down the mileage a bit - but I haven't checked it for years, so no big deal for me. The stairs aren't a problem - except for a few times after a few too many beers....

The wife has loved it and we have spent a whole lot of nights in some amazing places. It also makes us "edit" the amount of stuff we carry - have it down to my camera gear, clothing, 2 cook boxes, a food box, and a cooler. It works for us.

Having said all that, we are moving to a Ranger Super Cab, with a topper pop up from OvrLnd Camper. Looking forward to hard sides, and the ability to get out of the weather - will open up more places in more seasons.

No regrets at all about the car top - have loved loved it - and the Xterra with tent already have a buyer waiting! Cheers!
DHHolmes_190609_4763_Web.jpg

JesseS

First Name
Jesse
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger XLT FX4, Jayco 26' Class A
Occupation
Retired, work is a four letter word.
I have tent camped all over Europe, and the US, and never had a Diamondback or Brown Recluse in my tent, but then again I don't have a fear of creepy crawlies. We now have a fully contained RV, and tow the Ranger. We can sleep in comfort, dry & warm (ever had to get up in the middle of the night in the rain to pee?) take showers, and cook a great meal, then go get in the Ranger to drive to the trailhead or just go wheeling. When I park the RV I literally hit 2 buttons and we are level and done. We carry enough food and water for 2 weeks and have plenty of power. We boondock most of the time to stay away from the newbies, was out in the middle of nowhere and this guy decided to park 50' away, not another rig in 5 miles. He came over to talk and hoped I wouldn't mind the loud music his kid played. I said no, as long as you don't mind all of the guns going off at all hours, next morning he was gone :)
Sponsored