Who's Ordering a 2020 Ranger? What Changes Will It Get?

RedlandRanger

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4, 1973 Mercury Capri
Vehicle Showcase
I’m starting to see rangers pop up at a surprising rate around my area .. I went from never seeing any to probably seeing 3-5 a day now on my drive to work .. I believe they’ll start selling a lot more now inventory is building up
I have only seen two in close to 4 months, and I saw two yesterday. One on the road, and the one my brother bought! I was surprised, he traded in his 2007 Tacoma on kind of a whim. He has never bought a Ford before - he said he wanted a diesel and test drove a diesel F-150 and then ended up buying the Ranger. So far, he says he likes it.

I'm hoping the July sales number are much better.
Sponsored

rmr76

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4 (Daily), 1969 Chevy C10 (Weekend Toy)
As much as the 2.7 ecoboost would be cool, it seems really unlikely unless in a special, limited production model. Maybe it will happen for the next full redesign. Overall, I hope there are no major changes to the 2020 that I can't live without (or maybe I could at least retrofit). I'd like to pull the trigger in the next 6 weeks instead of waiting until next spring.

Overall, I've had no problems with my 2014 F150 Tremor and the torque the 3.5 ecoboost produces is addictive. My buddy has a Mustang ecoboost and it is great as well, especially with the Ford Racing tune he had the dealer install. The 2.3 is a torquey little 4 cylinder! If more people realized that and got past their 20+ year old opinions on turbos, I don't think we'd hear people whining about having an NA V6.

OP
OP
DannyL

DannyL

First Name
Danny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Mustang GT CA Special. Ordering a Ranger Lariat FX2 Supercab in February 2020
Has anybody seen this?

2020 Ford Ranger V6, Hybrid, Price, Specs, USA
https://2020pickuptrucks.com/2020-ford-ranger/

Ford’s latest addition will have the first update next season. Well, it won’t be anything serious after just a year. Cosmetically, the 2020 Ford Ranger will be the same as its predecessor. But, the real deal is happening under the hood. Besides a four-cylinder engine, the new truck will have a V6 unit.

2020 Ford Ranger V6

As soon as Ranger unveiled its specs sheet, experts saw a missing part. All mid-size trucks are offering a V6 engine. So, it is unbelievable that Ford takes rivals so lightly. The more serious approach means more units. But not less powerful, but V6 drivetrains. What could Ford offer there?

A 3.3-liter V6 unit from the bigger stablemate could fit 2020 Ford Ranger. It is capable to produce 290 hp and 265 lb-ft of torque. Chevy Colorado is getting 310 hp from its V6. So, a 3.3-l engine is a good response from the Blue Oval company. The truckmaker will pair the powertrain with a 10-speed automatic transmission. According to announcements, the new Ranger will aim to break Colorado’s towing capacity of 7,000 pounds. With a V6 engine, it is possible.

Last edited:
OP
OP
DannyL

DannyL

First Name
Danny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Mustang GT CA Special. Ordering a Ranger Lariat FX2 Supercab in February 2020
The 3.3 would be a BAD choice! I pray they don't.
The HP numbers are up a bit but the torque is way less.
The 2.3 ecoboost would still be the engine of choice, at least for me.
If it is the 2.7 ecoboost...... well shut up and take my money

rangerdanger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger SuperCrew XLT FX4
Vehicle Showcase
Has anybody seen this?

2020 Ford Ranger V6, Hybrid, Price, Specs, USA
https://2020pickuptrucks.com/2020-ford-ranger/

Ford’s latest addition will have the first update next season. Well, it won’t be anything serious after just a year. Cosmetically, the 2020 Ford Ranger will be the same as its predecessor. But, the real deal is happening under the hood. Besides a four-cylinder engine, the new truck will have a V6 unit.
2020 Ford Ranger V6

As soon as Ranger unveiled its specs sheet, experts saw a missing part. All mid-size trucks are offering a V6 engine. So, it is unbelievable that Ford takes rivals so lightly. The more serious approach means more units. But not less powerful, but V6 drivetrains. What could Ford offer there?

A 3.3-liter V6 unit from the bigger stablemate could fit 2020 Ford Ranger. It is capable to produce 290 hp and 265 lb-ft of torque. Chevy Colorado is getting 310 hp from its V6. So, a 3.3-l engine is a good response from the Blue Oval company. The truckmaker will pair the powertrain with a 10-speed automatic transmission. According to announcements, the new Ranger will aim to break Colorado’s towing capacity of 7,000 pounds. With a V6 engine, it is possible.

LOL

VAMike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat SuperCab
"According to announcements, the new Ranger will aim to break Colorado’s towing capacity of 7,000 pounds. With a V6 engine, it is possible." Um, it's possible now, with the 2.3... With that level of attention to detail, I assume the rest is also BS.

Johnpenn

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat FX4, 2004 Corvette, 2005 Ranger Edge
Occupation
Retired Quality and EHS Manager
That is too bad - I must say when the EcoBoost first came out I was highly skeptical as well, but they have really proven themselves. The engines consistently amaze me, and they have proven to hold up over time. There are isolated incidents of engines that haven't lasted, but those are certainly not the norm. You can find outliers in any vehicle.

Engine technology has advanced quite a long ways from the early days of turbos. I have a friend who has an F-150 - he came from a full size Suburban. He has a rather large travel trailer and he says the 3.5 EB tows his trailer better than the big block Suburban did. That right there says a lot about how capable these engines are. He is 5 years into his truck and has had zero issues - he loves it. I know that is anecdotal evidence, but there is a lot of it out there.

It is sad people can't inform themselves about modern engine technology.
Yeah, I never worried too much about buying new technology and turbos were race proven many years ago. Hell, I even had an RX-7 with the Wankel engine. It was a great car to drive and lots of power for an engine the size of a beer keg..

kal718

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Ford Escape Titanium
A couple of bombshells in that article - Ranger getting a V6 and the 2020 Ranger Raptor coming to the US. The article is from February. Strange how no one else has mentioned these things in that time. ;)

RedlandRanger

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
A couple of bombshells in that article - Ranger getting a V6 and the 2020 Ranger Raptor coming to the US. The article is from February. Strange how no one else has mentioned these things in that time. ;)
It says later in the article that all the "facts" in the article are all speculation, so there is no data to back up their article. To me it almost seems like a clickbait article. I would put very little weight to it.

kal718

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Ford Escape Titanium
Trust me, I didn't believe that nonsense for a second, especially after we've been told numerous times that there will be no US Raptor for this generation Ranger.

DakotaGuy

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ranger SuperCrew XLT Tremor
The 3.3 would be a BAD choice! I pray they don't.
The HP numbers are up a bit but the torque is way less.
The 2.3 ecoboost would still be the engine of choice, at least for me.
If it is the 2.7 ecoboost...... well shut up and take my money
I’ve seen plenty of people say they don’t trust the EcoBoost for long term reliability so in that sense offering a NA 3.3L V6 might draw those people in, but this isn’t happening. If Ford is going through all the trouble of making structural changes to stuff a V6 into the T6 it’ll be the 2.7L EB and be sold as a top engine offering. Personally I don’t see any engine changes until the T6 chassis is updated in 2022 or so.

RedlandRanger

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I’ve seen plenty of people say they don’t trust the EcoBoost for long term reliability so in that sense offering a NA 3.3L V6 might draw those people in, but this isn’t happening. If Ford is going through all the trouble of making structural changes to stuff a V6 into the T6 it’ll be the 2.7L EB and be sold as a top engine offering. Personally I don’t see any engine changes until the T6 chassis is updated in 2022 or so.
I completely agree - if there are any changes for 2020, I think they will be in packages and/or additional options available as well as the additional colors that have already leaked. Cosmetic stuff really.

We should find out shortly what the changes are. I think the order book will be released in the next week or two. Orders for 2019 Rangers are closing in 9 days so it has to be released pretty soon.

VAMike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat SuperCab
fitting a v6 into a midsize is easy, fitting a twin turbo v6 is the hard part. but, while they could probably fit a crappy NA v6 into the ranger easily, it would be a step back and not worth it.

EcoRanger

First Name
Doc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT 301A SuperCrew 4X4 2015 Ecoboost Mustang 50 Year Appereance Package convertible
Vehicle Showcase
"According to announcements, the new Ranger will aim to break Colorado’s towing capacity of 7,000 pounds. With a V6 engine, it is possible." Um, it's possible now, with the 2.3... With that level of attention to detail, I assume the rest is also BS.

Ranger is class leading in towing it's only beat by the Colorado diesel and then only by 200lb.
Sponsored