Who's interested in a foursome?

LightingBlue

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Fx4 off-road Larit Supercab (2019)
No, not referring to your proclivities behind closed doors, pun intended, but even on these here digital pages we can see the overwhelming percentage of Ranger owners who purchased a crew cab so the truck can haul your "crew" (assuming that means family/children in the real world) at the expense of the larger bed.

It seems that in America and Canada the truck market has gone almost exclusively crew-cab. An interesting change in purchase habits as we also see the death of the sedan/saloon car as the CUV/SUV becomes defacto transportation.

I have yet to see official Ford sales figures by cab configuration. My guess is about 90-95% of non-fleet sales are in crew-cab configuration.

Foursome: America Shuns Non-Crew Cabs Like Never Before

Full disclosure: We (our joint account) are not looking for foursomes, nor are we asking you to contact us about that.... Thread title was made to ape the article title from TTAC.
Sponsored

Deleted member 1634

My dad ended up getting a regular cab, regular box F-150 a couple years ago. He had a heck of a time finding one to even test drive, let alone one he was interested in buying. Found a black XL Sport, or maybe local dealer found it for him I can't remember anymore. He primarily got it because that's the only size that could fit in his garage since he had a workbench and shelves along the back wall. He moved out of that house a couple years later and now has a massive pole barn he parks in. haha I'm just waiting for him to trade in for something different now, maybe a Ranger. Especially since his new wife doesn't even like the truck anyways.

PalmettoRanger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 4x4 Magnetic Ranger XLT SuperCrew with STX package
I might have gone with the supercab to get the bigger bed, but my wife insisted that my car be able to hold our party of five. That would normally sound like an obvious concern, but I have observed that we never really travel as a family in my vehicles because my wife's car was always more spacious. Even when I had a vehicle with a 3rd row, the kids preferred riding in her minivan with the DVD player. Add in the fact that my oldest has her own car now and wants to do her own thing, I just did not see the need for the bigger cab. But I decided I did not care enough about the extra foot of bed to fight about it.

I like the crew cab fine and have not been hampered too much by the shorter bed. I suspect I would have been perfectly happy with the smaller cab as well. Although maybe once the COVID stuff has passed and I start carting around friends and coworkers it would have been more inconvenient.

Glocker

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT FX4, 2014 Mustang GT
Vehicle Showcase
I wanted the 4 door for many good (and not so good) reasons, even though my household only consists of my wife and myself.
1. Guests - hauling guests (out of state family) out to our cabin on a nearby lake.
2. Dogs - a touch more room for our two large dogs.
3. Gear - more room for stashing some stuff in the back seat area that I may not want under my tonneau cover.
4. Access - easier to get stuff in and out.
5 Looks - I've always loved the 4 door Rangers that were forbidden fruit here in the USA until 2019!

I don't like the way the seat folds in the rear. Ford messed that up a little. I know this is a gripe many people have. I'm okay with the bed like it is; I have tie down straps for some larger items.

gov cheese

First Name
j
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 ranger xlt super cab
Think that dealer inventories being 95-100% crew cab would be a factor. When I found out ranger was back in USA started test driving all the Mid-size trucks. I did not find any extended/super cab trucks to test drive in my area. (list: taco, colorado/canyon, frontier, ridgeline and ranger). I did find one ranger XL supercab in fleet vehicle lot but it was a customer order and could not be test driven. I did get to sit in it to see the difference between it and the Screw.

My XLT supercab had to have warranty work at the dealer before i picked it up. Sales person was surprise in the amount of interest there was in my truck. So, others are looking for extended cab but with only crew cabs on the lot that is what they end up with.

mtbikernate

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT 4x4
So, others are looking for extended cab but with only crew cabs on the lot that is what they end up with.
Yeah, my purchase of a Super Crew was pretty much determined by what was on the lot and had the pricing I liked.

My household is just my wife and I and our pets. Currently 1 small dog, but we've had bigger dogs in the past. Frankly either cab and either bed would work, so I wasn't hung up about either. The longer bed would have been a touch more utilitarian, but having bigger, more comfortable back seats means I can also use the truck as a more comfortable shuttle vehicle, visitor transport, etc.

Reactions: Doc

HenryMac

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 SuperCab XL - FX4 - Magnetic - Rocksliders
Occupation
Mech. Engineer - Retired
SuperCab owner here. I've never liked crew cabs.... their proportions are wacky.

Heck... I wish an 8 ft bed was available, I don't know how folks get by with just a 5 ft bed? I guess because most folks don;t really haul much, except passengers?

Here's a thread related to the rarity of SuperCabs I started back in Sept 2019: SuperCab Rangers are Rare Here, How About Your Location?

002.JPG

TrebMaxx

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 XLT FX4 Ford Ranger
I would say beauty is in the eye of the beholder and as well what you need your vehicle for. I like my Crew cab because it is what suits my needs.

Reactions: Doc

Jbroke

First Name
Jimmy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat 2WD
Occupation
Sports
Love the look of a single cab, only reason I wouldn’t get one is road trips with the dog. Also usually they don’t do higher trims with it, I’m more of a center console guy not middle seat with a fold down.

NickTheEnforcer

First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT Sport 4x4, 2020 Ford Escape Hybrid SE Sport AWD, 2009 Dodge Ram Big Horn Crew 4x4 HEMI
Occupation
Residential Construction Project Development & Purchasing.
I always liked a regular cab full-size pick up. Had a 2wd cobalt blue chevy step side I picked up at a great deal in 2006, Traded in on my 2009 Ram crew. They are hard to find in mint shape. Once my kids are out of the house [HS age now] I'd totally consider one if I could find an upscale trim package, 4x4 and a V8. Configured that way they are a hoot to drive...
If you do a ford website search you can find them but they are pretty much the same money as a crew cab, which is just nuts.

HenryMac

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 SuperCab XL - FX4 - Magnetic - Rocksliders
Occupation
Mech. Engineer - Retired
Love the look of a single cab, only reason I wouldn’t get one is road trips with the dog. Also usually they don’t do higher trims with it, I’m more of a center console guy not middle seat with a fold down.
XL, XLT and Lariat all available in a SuperCab, all have the console.

Lone

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat Crew Hot Pepper
Favorite conversation with a salesman: (Looking at a crew cab.) Me: I think it's just too damn big. Him: Well, if you want something smaller, go with the super cab.

Mobius97

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger Lariat Fx4-Lotus Evora-Lotus Elise-BMW X7 M
I decided to get a truck as a forth vehicle for year round driving and the basic utility of one. Was sharing the wife's MDX SUV because my other two vehicles are impracticable. I went with the SCrew to make it a true 2nd family vehicle with a decent back seat.

I have found the smaller bed a little cumbersome at times for larger loads. Never knew how much I would actually be hauling things around now! To compensate, I added the large AMP (squared version) tailgate extender. That has worked out very well for the times that I need the extra couple feet of room in the bed the 5' doesn't provide. So in my eyes, best of both worlds and I prefer the 4 doors with extra cab room. My 2 pennies for the day!