Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.amsoil.com
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger
Occupation
Amsoil Dealer
It makes you wonder why they still don't promote the Ranger more in N. Am. I get that the F-150 has been a best-seller for most (if not all) of everyone's life, but a full-size truck doesn't fit everyone's needs, budget or lifestyle.
It's all marketing. They'd rather sell f-150's, there's more profit for them. Those of us not wanting a larger truck will seek out the Ranger or Maverick on our own. 90% us are brand loyal too, F-150 drivers wanting a smaller truck know the Ranger and Maverick exist.
Sponsored

First Name
Dean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger SuperCab
I slightly recall an article several months back that talked about EPA regs and the "shadow" & wheelbase as drivers--larger vehicles (perversely) have incentives over smaller, and the ranges move every few years, thus the bloating of every pickup line since (my guess) 1980. It happened with the FS trucks, it happened with the S10 & Ranger, the Explorers, the Blazers, Jeeps and now it's happened again with the Colorado & Ranger. True, US automakers seem to love the profits to be made selling FS trucks, and the bragging rights from having a bigger. badder, blah-blah. But the incentive seems to be the geniuses at the DOE & EPA & other TLAs creating stupid rules.
I don't recall any more details about when/where I read the article.
This soapbox is scary ... Ima climb down.

Cmar

First Name
Cam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Ranger PX
Thought you might like this add (currently on TV here) proudly showing how the Ranger is now No 1 best selling vehicle in Australia. Accompanied by a great rocking track from Aussie band Powder Finger.

RangerDanger617

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger XLT FX4 - Cactus Grey
Occupation
Civil Engineer
Went for the annual state inspection at my dealer. Took a little longer than expected, but everything was fine.
1 year Anniversary of taking delivery of my Ranger was this past Sunday ... will have to do something special or buy a new accessory haha. Any suggestions?

I replied in the completely wrong thread lol.
But yes, I'm a little taken back to see how little advertising the Ranger gets in the US. All the Ford ads I've seen rush right to the end after focusing on the F150 ... then tack on Ranger and Maverick like they're the disclaimer on a prescription drug ad.
I've also gotten countless mailers and emails from Ford dealers offering incentives on F150s ... not a peep on Rangers.

Last edited:

Motorpsychology

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger STX SuperCab 4X4, '09 Mariner
Occupation
Vagabond

LaBalbe

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Lariat
... then tack on Ranger and Maverick like they're the disclaimer on a prescription drug ad.
This just might be the best description of the marketing mentality for the small & mid-size market from the Big 3...because it's not just Ford; GM & Dodge do/did the same. Plenty of ads for the Sierra/Silverado & Ram, but I don't really recall all that many ads in my lifetime for the Canyon/Colorado or now-defunct S-10 & Dakota and any others that I may be forgetting; even the Avalanche didn't get that much air time after its initial launch, as far as I recall.

OP
OP
Dunedain Ranger

Dunedain Ranger

First Name
Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger XL Super Cab - 2WD, 1995 Honda Accord EX Station Wagon
Thought you might like this add (currently on TV here) proudly showing how the Ranger is now No 1 best selling vehicle in Australia. Accompanied by a great rocking track from Aussie band Powder Finger.

Ok, that is really cool. Thanks for sharing

OP
OP
Dunedain Ranger

Dunedain Ranger

First Name
Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger XL Super Cab - 2WD, 1995 Honda Accord EX Station Wagon
Went for the annual state inspection at my dealer. Took a little longer than expected, but everything was fine.
1 year Anniversary of taking delivery of my Ranger was this past Sunday ... will have to do something special or buy a new accessory haha. Any suggestions?

I replied in the completely wrong thread lol.
But yes, I'm a little taken back to see how little advertising the Ranger gets in the US. All the Ford ads I've seen rush right to the end after focusing on the F150 ... then tack on Ranger and Maverick like they're the disclaimer on a prescription drug ad.
I've also gotten countless mailers and emails from Ford dealers offering incentives on F150s ... not a peep on Rangers.
Additionally, nothing on any cool shirts or hats from Ford Merchandising. Plenty of Mustang, Bronco, F-150, EV, but no Ranger stuff, in spite of Farley's commentary about the Ranger.

Lostsoul

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat supercab
Occupation
Retired
What baffles me is that so many crew cab Rangers and Mavericks are sold. (yes I know the Maverick only has that option)
It seems that if you want a crew cab Ranger, you would be better served by another model of car/truck/SUV.
why did you buy a crew cab and not something else? Help me understand!

KJRR

First Name
KJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Ford Ranger, '14 Ford Edge, '74 VW Type 181
Occupation
Professional Curmudgeon
What baffles me is that so many crew cab Rangers and Mavericks are sold. (yes I know the Maverick only has that option)
It seems that if you want a crew cab Ranger, you would be better served by another model of car/truck/SUV.
Because pickups are now the cool thing to have. SUVs are now the mini-vans, station wagens of the past. And with 4 doors, it's much easier for the guy with kids to convince the budget controller that a pickup is practical purchase, even though it's not and will lead them to financial ruin just to look cool while hauling kids to sports practice. Manly trucks don't have 4 doors. :LOL:

Motorpsychology

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger STX SuperCab 4X4, '09 Mariner
Occupation
Vagabond
In North America, Mid- and Compact trucks are sold as "lifestyle" vehicles. More an alternative to a SUV or CUV. Tows the 16' boat, hauls the mulch, take the lawnmower to the shop. Ford, GM and Toyota (not sure about Nissan) all have Fleet programs for the smaller trucks, but it is a very small market.

Ford , Stellantis, and GM focus on the standard size trucks here, Toyota Tundra is just a place holder and Nissan discontinued the Titan. Toyota's focus is on Tacoma. Sales dwarf Ranger and Colorado/Canyon and Gladiator, and Tacoma and Frontier still offer both extended cab and crew cab short and long box configurations. In the rest of the world (ROW), Ranger is offered in as many configurations and drivetrain choices as the F150 here.

pbethel

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger XLT Sport 4x4, 2016 Ford t250 Transit
Occupation
retired
Because I put dirty and smelly things I don't want in the cab in the microscopic bed but family and friends go in the back.
The airport is in Las Vegas and my grand daughter and her parents from Alaska would be really sore after 2 hours in the jump seats.

Friday yet?

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lariat Tremor, Focus ST
Occupation
Corporate drone. Dilbert's world is alive & well.
1) Warden told me to. (Vs. Super cab)
2) Tremor package was crew cab only.

Friday yet?

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lariat Tremor, Focus ST
Occupation
Ford needed a factory, and had one scheduled for downtime. As early as 2013, Ford was floating the idea of a resurgence of the Bronco. Under Mark Fields, then CEO, some ideas and renderings started to gel, from a little Bronco ll size built off the South American Ford Troller, which was built off a shortened global Ranger T6 frame in 2014, before the US got the Ranger. Another concept was to use a modified F-150 frame.

Perfect storm.
By 2016, Ford wound down manufacturing in Australia, and the US Focus was discontinued and production ended in the spring of 2018 at Wayne MI, known internally as Michigan Assembly Plant or MAP. Ford already had a "Bronco" in South America (Troller) built on T6 architecture, so the return of the US Bronco on the T6 was a no brainer.
AUS Ranger tooling was packed up and shipped to MAP, and Ranger production began in late 2018 for the 2019 model year. The U275 2022 Bronco was also developed using the Ranger's T6 frame (shortened and widened) and production began in the summer off 2021.
The 2024 6G Ranger utilizes new the modular frame. It has a 2 inch wider track and a 2 inch longer wheelbase, with nearly identical overall length. The front axle is moved forward to make room for a larger cab and to accommodate a V6.
Ranger is still the unloved middle child within Ford NA, Stuck between the F-Series and the popular Maverick, and production of the Bronco is favored over the Ranger, 2,644 vs 12,143 Broncos produced in January 2024.

The 6G Ranger is scheduled to be in production until 2029 (2030MY), time will tell. No facts to back it up, but one scenario I come up with is the Ranger morphs to become a downsized "F100-150" while SuperDuty stays the same. More people are balking at, but still buying, big F150s and this would be a way to take advantage of Ranger's size and cost, and use the magic F-Series name.
Fun to watch.
2014 Brazilian Troller T4
440px-Troller_T4.jpg

Early Ford Bronco Concepts
Ford-Bronco-Concept-front-side.jpg

mNqtsiD.jpg
Interesting read! Thanks for posting.

Friday yet?

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lariat Tremor, Focus ST
Occupation