Who here does 3-D printing ?

Tinkerer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger XL SuperCab
Not sure if this has been resolved yet, but I'd be happy to print in NylonX Carbon Fiber. I'd need the file that @Tinkerer worked on.

Let me know!
I have no problems sharing the file, but it was made with very little real dimensions - just really looks like the one in the original photo.

This material you have would be a great solution. Could even be part of a modular design where the parts that move and are stressed are made from this material, and the cap part could be something else.
Sponsored

First Name
Charly
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4
Vehicle Showcase
I have no problems sharing the file, but it was made with very little real dimensions - just really looks like the one in the original photo.

This material you have would be a great solution. Could even be part of a modular design where the parts that move and are stressed are made from this material, and the cap part could be something else.
Great idea. I suppose it would be beneficial to have the actual part to measure and CAD. @Rinn69 could you just sand down the text flush with the face of the cap and repaint? Just a suggestion. I’ve seen people do it to the badges above the front fenders.

OP
OP
Rinn69

Rinn69

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat SuperCrew 4x4 Lightning Blue
Occupation
Retired USAF MSgt
Vehicle Showcase
Great idea. I suppose it would be beneficial to have the actual part to measure and CAD. @Rinn69 could you just sand down the text flush with the face of the cap and repaint? Just a suggestion. I’ve seen people do it to the badges above the front fenders.
I thought of sanding it down, but wasn't sure. I may give that a shot tonight or tomorrow. It's only about .010 to .020" that would need to be removed....I'll have to get out a couple new 12" disc sander pads and see how that works....not gonna try it on the disc sander--that's just asking for trouble. I'll let y'all know how it works out. And thanks for the suggestion :like:

OP
OP
Rinn69

Rinn69

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat SuperCrew 4x4 Lightning Blue
Occupation
Retired USAF MSgt
Vehicle Showcase
OK. I rough sanded the center cap, and it ends up that it is a stamped aluminum disc that is painted and most likely glued to the plastic half. I don't really like this method of construction since the glue will fail eventually. And since this was a "quickie fix", you can still see the stamped letters, and sanding scratches which could be sanded more and a high build primer used to hide this, but painting aluminum also has it's challenges, for me anyway.

SO, I'd like these made with ABS with the main reason being, I know how to prep and paint it, where as, some of these newer materials are "untested" by me and very little info (that I could find) about prep and paint.

center cap painted.jpg
Sponsored