Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat SuperCrew 4x4 Lightning Blue
Occupation
Retired USAF MSgt
Vehicle Showcase
I'm looking to have a set of 4 wheel center caps made (for a fee, of course)
Center cap 1.jpg
center cap back.jpg
. I'm not keen on the one's that came with the wheels. Nothing fancy, just replica's with a flat face and they would need to be printed out of something that can be painted. I could send one to you to scan or for dimensions (not sure how 3-D printing works). The rough dimensions are 3.125" across, about 3 mm thick and the six tabs are 6/10ths of an inch wide and high and about 3 mm thick. Anyone interested ?
Sponsored

Msfitoy

First Name
Sid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger, 2003 MINI Cooper S, 2021 Honda CT125
Occupation
Automotive, Industrial Designer
Vehicle Showcase
Try...https://www.protolabs.com/

One part or a million parts...this place is amazing...upload your CAD data, specify type of prototyping, material and amount and they quote you in 24 hours...they even do injection molding...

For free...see Bernie or AOC for that... :crackup:

OP
OP
Rinn69

Rinn69

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired USAF MSgt
Vehicle Showcase
Try...https://www.protolabs.com/

One part or a million parts...this place is amazing...upload your CAD data, specify type of prototyping, material and amount and they quote you in 24 hours...they even do injection molding...

For free...see Bernie or AOC for that... :crackup:
No CAD....:frown:

Msfitoy

First Name
Sid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger, 2003 MINI Cooper S, 2021 Honda CT125
Occupation
Automotive, Industrial Designer
Vehicle Showcase
No CAD....:frown:
That's a bummer...there's no 3D printing without CAD...3D is short for 3 dimensional data....printers need this data to print:(

dmeyer302

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Escape, 2016 Odyssey
Occupation
Mechanical Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
I can model it for you, but I wouldn’t be allowed to use our work printer. PM me if interested.

OP
OP
Rinn69

Rinn69

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired USAF MSgt
Vehicle Showcase
I can model it for you, but I wouldn’t be allowed to use our work printer. PM me if interested.
@dmeyer302 Thanks for the offer !!! I'll give it a day or 3 to see if anyone on here could do the whole process...if no one takes it, I'll PM ya :like: I took about 60 hrs of CAD/CAM instruction when I went to gunsmithing school and tinkered with sketch-up a little, but got frustrated with it. I did, however, meet one of the guys that invented/developed sketch-up....a friend of a friend that sold it and made a butt-load of $$$.

dmeyer302

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Escape, 2016 Odyssey
Occupation
Mechanical Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
@dmeyer302 Thanks for the offer !!! I'll give it a day or 3 to see if anyone on here could do the whole process...if no one takes it, I'll PM ya :like: I took about 60 hrs of CAD/CAM instruction when I went to gunsmithing school and tinkered with sketch-up a little, but got frustrated with it. I did, however, meet one of the guys that invented/developed sketch-up....a friend of a friend that sold it and made a butt-load of $$$.
CAD for gunsmithing? Nice, maybe I need to reconsider what I’m doing lol. I’m in SolidWorks for about 50% of my day. Your cap is about a 10 min deal for someone experienced.

Cmar

First Name
Cam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Ranger PX
I could print it for you but it would be a long way to post it.

OP
OP
Rinn69

Rinn69

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired USAF MSgt
Vehicle Showcase
I could print it for you but it would be a long way to post it.
Thanks for the offer....I'd end up paying more on postage and fee's than the actual parts :crackup:

MiataBro11

First Name
Ethan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Tremor / 1994 Mazda Miata Racecar
Occupation
Research Lab Tech
I can possibly do both, I'm not expert 3-D modeler but I have dabbled. So I can give it a shot as it should be to hard of an object to do, but I could also just print it if dmeyer302 wants to model it and then send it to me. I have black abs on hand right now that should work just fine for it.

Tinkerer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger XL SuperCab
I had a quick go at modelling, but would need a few more specific dimensions for it to be correct. Unfortunately I can only print in PLA on my printer.

HubCab2.png

OP
OP
Rinn69

Rinn69

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired USAF MSgt
Vehicle Showcase
@Tinkerer --That looks great ! I think there would be issues with painting PLA, BUT thanks for the image :like: !!!

@MiataBro11 --Sent ya a PM

treimche

First Name
Troy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger SOLD. 2005 S2000
Occupation
Accountant
I had a quick go at modelling, but would need a few more specific dimensions for it to be correct. Unfortunately I can only print in PLA on my printer.

HubCab2.png
Would it be easy to increase the size of that center cap and print some? Or send me the file so I can play with it? Haven't used my 3D printer in a long time, but I need some center caps for my wheels so badly. They're a common size of about 4.25" diameter.

Cmar

First Name
Cam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Ranger PX
You can anneal PLA to make it more temperature tolerant.
I printed some "emergency" dishwasher parts that surprisingly ended up still being in place 4 months later!
Now I can't be bothered going and paying some outrageous price for a few small plastic wheel holders. When they break again after a few months use, I just print a few new ones.
Needless to say my wife doesn't seem to share my views on this. I probably should go and just buy a roll of ABS filament and make them properly.

That would be my main fear of printing a rim centre cap in PLA, that maybe brake heat might distort it.

Paint on PLA, doesn't stick quite as well as ABS ( which is excellent) but it does stick.

First Name
Charly
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4
Vehicle Showcase
Not sure if this has been resolved yet, but I'd be happy to print in NylonX Carbon Fiber. I'd need the file that @Tinkerer worked on.

Let me know!
Sponsored