Who has the 4X2 Rangers

Discussion in 'General Ford Ranger Discussions' started by John Lyman, Jan 14, 2020.

1. Scoopo

Scoopo Member

First Name:
    Scoop
    Vehicle(s):
    2019 Ford Ranger Supercrew
    IT Support Technician
    #76 Feb 11, 2020
    Last edited: Feb 11, 2020
    4x2 Lariat here.
    Locking differential.

Once I gave up on a 4x4 ($4000) I added the locker to my must have list.

I had a 4WD Escape for a couple years and never really used it for anything.
    Every now and then, like once every few years, we'll get snow and ice enough to maybe warrant 4WD. But then the entire area shuts down so I'll stay home.

Years of prowling around in woods and sugar sand as a Florida native I have found myself stuck, but I learned many many lessons in that time. I think I'm going to be just fine with my 4x2

2. Scoopo

Scoopo Member

First Name:
    Scoop
    Vehicle(s):
    2019 Ford Ranger Supercrew
    IT Support Technician
    Loving the wheels!
    Great looking truck!

I was a little iffy about going with a 4x4 look with a RWD but no more.
    Good thread. Some great looking trucks!

Doc, John Lyman and Kevin Franklin like this.
  3. OP
    OP
    John Lyman

John Lyman Well-Known Member

First Name:
    John
    Vehicle(s):
    2019 Ranger Sport 4x2 Oxford White
    Garage Profiles:
    I was the same way on $4000 difference and I was coming from a Wrangler that I put in 4wd a couple of time so I could say I did.

I was bummed I didn't get to take my truck out Saturday when we had the slippery snow (had to take the Wife's people hauler) and by the time we got home the roads where not that slippery. I wanted to play with the locking rear diff.

Doc likes this.
  4. Noel Willhite

Noel Willhite Well-Known Member

First Name:
    Noel
    Vehicle(s):
    2019 Ranger XLT
    Garage Profiles:
    My 4x2 that a Silverado backed up next to, our little trucks sit higher than the new chevys, feeling good about that

580D5EE9-8ED0-4A11-8894-869B86A8870F.jpeg

5. Phik

Phik Member

First Name:
    PK
    Vehicle(s):
    2019 Ranger XL
    2wd XL here.
    I purchased at an army base in Germany (US models) and shipped here to west Africa.
    The only two Rangers available were the fully maxed out 4wd Lariat or the XL 2wd.
    I also could have bought an Euro/African Ranger, but I wanted to be able to bring it back to the US when I go back and the motor is a no-go for import. So chose the XL.
    Love it.
    20200213_083015.png
    Don't drive offroad per se, but the roads in this part of the world are really bad. This is tame:
    20200213_083145.jpg
    Have had no problem with 2wd though. And when I do get stuck, my shovel and air compressor (to reinflate after after lowering pressure) are usually all I need.
    And when the going gets really rough, there are always some villagers happy to lend a hand (see pic).
    20200208_174654.jpg
    Have some aggressive mud tires on order for the rainy season and I think I'll be fine.

6. viperwolf

viperwolf Well-Known Member

First Name:
    Alex
    Vehicle(s):
    2020 Ford Everest 4x4 Titanium BI Turbo
    Retired Military
    There is alot more than I thought with 2wd Rangers :thumbsup:. I would not buy another 2wd unless it was strictly city use. I had the same idea that I dont need a 4wd a few years ago. I regretted that decision, I ended needing it often. I did not have a rear diff lock and that would of probably been enough for most things. Ive used the diff lock a few times to get my Everest out of some touchy situations. It makes a big difference, so I can see were its all some would need. Especially when you still have street tires. I cant wait for my raptor wheels and tires to get here.

ofcourse its all just based on the individual and their geography. Its good we all have options.

Doc likes this.
  7. Traneman

Traneman Well-Known Member

First Name:
    Jay
    Vehicle(s):
    2019 Ford Ranger STX 4x4
    I've never owned a 4x4 since I've started driving in '87. I was going to get a 4x2 as I never had it and really didn't need one. I just knew better if it was really bad from the snow storm, I just stayed put.

When I was just out to test drive, there wasn't any 4x2 at the dealer, and he couldn't find one anywhere near by for them to bring in. I got a good deal, and cash back on my Ranger, so I went ahead with 4x4.. Insurnace said my price wasn't going to be any higher w/ 4x4.

Cape Cruiser and Doc like this.
  8. FlRanger

FlRanger Well-Known Member

Vehicle(s):
    2019 Ford Ranger Lariat
    4x2 with some aggressive tires. Haven’t been stuck yet but also haven’t really “off road” in mud. I’m sure it would get stuck. I made the same choice, 4x2 Lariat.

62000AD7-3157-4858-94F1-91B71691BE1C.jpeg