Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Supercrew
Occupation
IT Support Technician
4x2 Lariat here.
Locking differential.

Once I gave up on a 4x4 ($4000) I added the locker to my must have list.

I had a 4WD Escape for a couple years and never really used it for anything.
Every now and then, like once every few years, we'll get snow and ice enough to maybe warrant 4WD. But then the entire area shuts down so I'll stay home.

Years of prowling around in woods and sugar sand as a Florida native I have found myself stuck, but I learned many many lessons in that time. I think I'm going to be just fine with my 4x2
Sponsored

Last edited:
OP
OP
John Lyman

John Lyman

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Sport 4x2 Oxford White
Vehicle Showcase
4x2 Lariat here.
Locking differential.

Once I gave up on a 4x4 ($4000) I added the locker to my must have list.

I had a 4WD Escape for a couple years and never really used it for anything.
Every now and then, like once every few years, we'll get snow and ice enough to maybe warrant 4WD. But then the entire area shuts down so I'll stay home.
I was the same way on $4000 difference and I was coming from a Wrangler that I put in 4wd a couple of time so I could say I did.

I was bummed I didn't get to take my truck out Saturday when we had the slippery snow (had to take the Wife's people hauler) and by the time we got home the roads where not that slippery. I wanted to play with the locking rear diff.

Noel Willhite

First Name
Noel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT
Vehicle Showcase
I was the same way on $4000 difference and I was coming from a Wrangler that I put in 4wd a couple of time so I could say I did.

I was bummed I didn't get to take my truck out Saturday when we had the slippery snow (had to take the Wife's people hauler) and by the time we got home the roads where not that slippery. I wanted to play with the locking rear diff.
My 4x2 that a Silverado backed up next to, our little trucks sit higher than the new chevys, feeling good about that

580D5EE9-8ED0-4A11-8894-869B86A8870F.jpeg

Phik

First Name
PK
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XL
2wd XL here.
I purchased at an army base in Germany (US models) and shipped here to west Africa.
The only two Rangers available were the fully maxed out 4wd Lariat or the XL 2wd.
I also could have bought an Euro/African Ranger, but I wanted to be able to bring it back to the US when I go back and the motor is a no-go for import. So chose the XL.
Love it.
20200213_083015.png

Don't drive offroad per se, but the roads in this part of the world are really bad. This is tame:
20200213_083145.jpg

Have had no problem with 2wd though. And when I do get stuck, my shovel and air compressor (to reinflate after after lowering pressure) are usually all I need.
And when the going gets really rough, there are always some villagers happy to lend a hand (see pic).
20200208_174654.jpg

Have some aggressive mud tires on order for the rainy season and I think I'll be fine.

viperwolf

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Everest 4x4 Titanium BI Turbo, 2015 Ford Ecosport Titanium
Occupation
Retired Military
There is alot more than I thought with 2wd Rangers :thumbsup:. I would not buy another 2wd unless it was strictly city use. I had the same idea that I dont need a 4wd a few years ago. I regretted that decision, I ended needing it often. I did not have a rear diff lock and that would of probably been enough for most things. Ive used the diff lock a few times to get my Everest out of some touchy situations. It makes a big difference, so I can see were its all some would need. Especially when you still have street tires. I cant wait for my raptor wheels and tires to get here.

ofcourse its all just based on the individual and their geography. Its good we all have options.

Reactions: Doc

Traneman

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger STX 4x4
I've never owned a 4x4 since I've started driving in '87. I was going to get a 4x2 as I never had it and really didn't need one. I just knew better if it was really bad from the snow storm, I just stayed put.

When I was just out to test drive, there wasn't any 4x2 at the dealer, and he couldn't find one anywhere near by for them to bring in. I got a good deal, and cash back on my Ranger, so I went ahead with 4x4.. Insurnace said my price wasn't going to be any higher w/ 4x4.

FlRanger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat
4x2 with some aggressive tires. Haven’t been stuck yet but also haven’t really “off road” in mud. I’m sure it would get stuck. I made the same choice, 4x2 Lariat.

62000AD7-3157-4858-94F1-91B71691BE1C.jpeg

gov cheese

First Name
j
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 ranger xlt super cab
Hey 2wd ranger owner lets get this thread going again! Gotta be some new 2wd owners out there.

Have 5k miles on my 2019 XLT 2wd SuperCab and loving it. Only option i wish i had is the electronic locker. But with the end of 2019 rebates had to take what i could find. Plus, as my DD wanted better MPGs and lower maintenance costs of 2wd.

Only snows heavy 1-3 times a year here and the old f-150 2wd made it around ok. just had to load 300 lbs of sand over the rear wheels. The Ranger should be good to go with weight in the bed.

Last edited:

Jerry Caldwell

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger Lariat
Occupation
Retired Architect
We picked up our 4x2 Lariat back in March after totaling our FX4. We did get the locking differential and it is the exact truck we wanted before we ended up with the FX4. The 4x2 handles our RV much better than the FX4.

Mokume

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2000 Ranger Supercab (sold 12/19) , 2002 Honda CR-V
Occupation
Retired Firefighter III, Honolulu Fire Department
Live in urban Honolulu, so a 4x4 would be superfluous.
I did go through the lifted 4x4, B.F Goodrich 35's and K.C. Hilites phase with my 2 F series in the eighties, but I was a lot younger (and dumber) then.
This 2020 Lariat 4x2 with the FX-2 option is my third Ranger, all have been strictly rear drivers. This pic was taken immediately after I installed a 2.5 front lift kit, just to put it on an even keel, if you will.

lifted.jpg

Dick Richie

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 XLT Ranger
Vehicle Showcase
Picked my Shadow Black 2019 300A XLT 2 WD up last Thanksgiving. Needed a basic work truck to park in the refineries and chemical plants in Houston and haul a toolbox from project to project. No reason to park anything nice or expensive in a muddy gravel parking lot. I've added 1.5 spacers, 2.5 level and Falken WildPeak AT3 265/70/17.

fullsizeoutput_399.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_a88.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_6ef.jpeg