Why 4x2?

Discussion in 'General Ford Ranger Discussions' started by SSingh1975, Oct 18, 2018.

1. SSingh1975

SSingh1975 Member

Vehicle(s):
    2011 BMX X5 Diesel
    Any reason why some folks are buying a truck but 2WD? Other than ground clearance, you don't get any benefit over a rear wheel drive car?

I'll be trading my 2011 AWD BMW X5 diesel (live in California) and trying to determine why I should get 2WD other than lower cost.

Sorry for the stupid post ..all my past vehicles have been AWD so not sure what I'm losing going with a 2WD truck.

PS: Was looking at the Tacoma but 2 things bug me considering both the Taco and Ranger are in the same price . Lack of power and outdated plastic interior/cloth interior. Looks wise, I still prefer the Taco (especially the Off Road) but haven't seen the Ranger in person. I did sign up for the demo that's coming to Sacramento on Nov 11 in a car show.

2. rangerdanger

Vehicle(s):
    2019 Ford Ranger 4x2 SuperCrew XLT
    Ric and DHare like this.
  3. DHare

DHare Well-Known Member

First Name:
    Dennis
    Vehicle(s):
    2015 Chevy Colorado; 2014 GMC Terrain
    Big benefit over a car is that trucks have a bed that you can carry things in. Try carrying a load of lumber, sheetrock, firewood, furniture....in your car. As Rangerdanger says, most of the time you'll be in 2WD as it is damaging to the truck to use 4WD on dry roads. Some people don't feel the need for 4 wheel drive where they live - i.e. little or no snow, no off roading, etc. Both of our vehicles have to be 4 wheel drive or we can't get out of our steep driveway when it's slick, so that is a requirement when we buy. 2WD also generally gets a little better gas mileage that 4WD.

Ric likes this.
  4. kep

kep Well-Known Member

First Name:
    James
    Vehicle(s):
    2010 chevy 1500, 2019 Ranger on order
    Unlike an AWD a 4x4 truck needs to be manually put into 4 wheel drive when conditions need it and put back into 2 wheel drive when on dry pavement to avoid damaging the transfer case. I have had 2 wheel drive truck all my life up here on the frozen tundra of South Dakota. This will be my first 4x4. :)

DHare likes this.
  5. SSingh1975

SSingh1975 Member

Vehicle(s):
    2011 BMX X5 Diesel
    Thanks guys. What about heavy rain, etc. Does 4WD (even in 2wd mode) handle better than a typical rear wheel drive truck?

Trading my X5 mainly for the offroad trails, camping, etc. And the high cost of ownership. My extended warranty is running out next year and I've already spend about $5k in repairs (covered under warranty..PHEW!).

6. rangerdanger

Vehicle(s):
    The optional locking rear differential on the new Ranger will probably be more useful off-road than the 4x4 drive.

Ric likes this.
  7. DHare

DHare Well-Known Member

First Name:
    Dennis
    Vehicle(s):
    2015 Chevy Colorado; 2014 GMC Terrain
    Re heavy rain: 4WD is intended for consistently slippery surfaces, so heavy rain probably doesn't meet that criteria. To your other question, in 2WD the truck will handle like any other rear drive vehicle as the front axle/transfer case is disabled. There will be more weight in the front of the truck, but the 4WD won't factor in if it is not enabled. The 4WD will be very useful for off-road activities.

skibuff likes this.
  8. jsphlynch

jsphlynch Member

Vehicle(s):
    2003 Ford Ranger
    I've got a little bit of experience here as I've been driving a 2WD pickup for 15 years, and during that time I've lived in both wet (pacific northwest) and snowy (inland northwest and midwest) areas.

I've never had issues in the rain. Honestly the thought had never occurred to me that it might be nice to have 4WD on wet pavement. Snow does sometimes become an issue, especially when trying to start on a hill. The problems in the snow are minimized by throwing a little extra weight in the back to press the drive wheals down better, and by opting for tires with a more aggressive tread. Even with those precautions I probably resort to chains more frequently than I would with 4WD, but I've never felt that 2WD has actually prevented me from doing anything that I wanted to do.

Bottom line: the Ranger configuration I'm eyeballing is the 2WD. Since my off-road driving is minimal, I just can't justify the added cost of 4WD.

Ric and Administrator like this.
  9. GStar

GStar Member

Vehicle(s):
    Mustang
    Would getting the locking rear diff still be useful with 4x4? Or will it only make a big impact with the 2WD Ranger?

10. rangerdanger

Vehicle(s):
    #10 Oct 19, 2018
    Last edited: Oct 19, 2018
    FX4 package comes standard with a locking rear differential. It's an optional upgrade on 4x2 and 4x4 Rangers.

Here's why a locking rear differential is important on any Ranger. Skip to 1 minute mark.

11. rangerdanger

Vehicle(s):
  12. jjmanzano

jjmanzano Active Member

Vehicle(s):
    Chevrolet Camaro SS
    Great thread! Reposting it because it really helped me make the 4WD vs 2WD decision.

13. rangerdanger

Vehicle(s):
    What did you decide and why?

14. StAugKid

StAugKid Well-Known Member

First Name:
    David
    Vehicle(s):
    2017 Ford Fiesta ST
    I don't need 4x4 but for me, especially if I get a midsized truck, I'm going all in for 4x4. With the size and the capability that the Ranger seems to have, I'm going to find a reason to use it.

15. Tomsriv

Tomsriv Member

First Name:
    Tom
    Vehicle(s):
    2006 Dodge Magnum RT (345 V8), 1971 Buick Riviera (455 V8)
    I live in southern California where it never rains. My last SUV was a 4runner I bought used with 113,000 miles. It was some kind of company car so I know it never went offroad. I drove it up to 230,000 miles before I sold it. It took it to Arizona once on vacation and drove 100 miles off road. I even followed a jeep tour truck on a sight seeing tour. It was rear wheel drive and I never had a problem. I wasn't out there in the rain, so traction wasn't a problem. I don't ski or care much for winter sports so no need for those occasions. One hundred miles of off road driving out of 230,000!!!! The advantage of 2 wheel drive? It saved at least $2000 in fuel over the life of the vehicle. Less things to break. But the big one for me was not having to remove skid plates when I did oil changes. Saved me a lot of time!

16. skibuff

skibuff Well-Known Member

First Name:
    Kevin
    Vehicle(s):
    2009 Ford Escape / 2019 Ford Ranger XLT Lighting Blue
    #16 Dec 6, 2018 at 2:24 PM
    Last edited: Dec 6, 2018 at 2:33 PM
    I bought a 4wd because I'll be driving in the snow 50+ days a year.

If you don't drive in the snow or plan to drive off road there is no reason to get 4wd save the money.

As stated above you do not want to use the 4wd just for rain. Acceleration is not the problem in the rain braking is and 4wd does nothing to help breaking.

17. jjmanzano

jjmanzano Active Member

Vehicle(s):
    Chevrolet Camaro SS
    I went with the 4x2. As much as I love 4x4s, I really don’t need one here in South Texas. Plus, I doubt I would take a Lariat trim pickup too far off road. I did get the automatic locking differential.

18. Ric

Ric Member

First Name:
    Ric
    Vehicle(s):
    Honda Accord
    I did the same 4X2, Lariat, Locking Rear. It’s gonna be a pavement princess, no need to fool myself.

19. Pinecrestjim

Pinecrestjim Well-Known Member

First Name:
    Jim
    Vehicle(s):
    2000 Miata SE, 2004 Deville
    I originally ordered a 4x2 with rear locker, Lariet trim. After a week of back and forth indecision, I changed the order to 4x4 with rear locker. I tow a boat and have seen a number of trucks having trouble trying to pull a boat out of the water, all 4x2. If there is a group of fellas around, they'll pile into the bed and/or bounce on the rear bumper and with squealing rubber the truck will manage to get the boat out.

Oftentimes when fishing out of Flamingo in the Everglades, I'm the only one at the ramp. I don't want to be stuck there unable to get a boat out of the water because of a slick, pitched concrete ramp. I've been to other ramps, dirt and broken concrete full of pot holes, and I'm sure that without the weight on the rear of the Explorer, I'd have been stuck there also. I just don't want to be "that guy" at the ramp that everyone else finds entertaining.

skibuff likes this.
  20. Carl

Carl Member

Vehicle(s):
    Foretravel U270
    Great info....but there is another make or break decision. If you plan to flat tow this vehicle behind a RV you need 4 x 4 so you get a transfer case that disconnects the front and back wheels from the transmission. Correct me if I am wrong but I do not believe the 2 x 4 can be flat towed for any distance at 65mph. The manual makes reference to this mode selected with the 4 x 4 switch and also present on the F150 (I think you turn the dial 5 times...and it shows in the display). This might be one of the few automatic trans vehicles that can be flat towed behind an RV. Planning for the time we retire our AWD 2005 Honda CRV...the last year a CRV can be towed is 2014....2015 and after went CVT...which means no flat towing at all.