Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger SuperCrew 4x2 XL
Occupation
Retired police officer
  • Banned
We are looking at Camburg UCAs and King 2.5s with reservoirs all around, for our one day old '21 4x2 SuperCrew XL.

I'd like to hear from those who have done something similar.

We're grownups- we're not looking to see how far we can huck this thing at some sand dune, but I really would like to avoid spending ALMOST enough money to make it how we would like it to be.

I don't want to have to live with a long-travel setup on a daily basis on public roads, so mid-travel it is. If we don't like the rear end, we can always add Deavers and/or King air bumps later.

I don't know if it matters, but we've ordered 16x8 Method 305 NV wheels (in titanium), and 285/75R16 BFG All Terrains.
Sponsored

Last edited:

Frenchy

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger, 2019 cargo van, soon to be 1993
Occupation
Crown Forklift Technician
I can't speak for King Suspension as I have not used it before and have not heard of them before owning my 19 Ranger.

Now my question to you is what are you looking to do with your ranger?I understand wanting to go offroad but everyone has thier preference of offroad.

I myself have the basic Old Man EMU lift with 265/70-17 Bridgestone Dueler Revo 3's. For on road it does well and for offroad it does very well for comfort and control. I can tow with it too!

Maybe it would be more of what you are looking for but until we all understand what you are wanting to do with your truck we cant help too much. All I ready got is you do not want to go high speed desert.

Hope this helps.

fORdEGON

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger SuperCab Lariat FX4
Occupation
Excavation Contractor
I did the Fox 2.5 DCS which will be fairly similar. The rears made a world of difference especially for running logging roads with weight in the bed. Unfortunately I have the cast knuckles and have not been able to install the fronts yet due to the lack of UCA for the non aluminum knuckles.

OP
OP
Sheepdog

Sheepdog

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired police officer
  • Banned
I did the Fox 2.5 DCS which will be fairly similar. The rears made a world of difference especially for running logging roads with weight in the bed. Unfortunately I have the cast knuckles and have not been able to install the fronts yet due to the lack of UCA for the non aluminum knuckles.
The Camburg UCAs will work for you- they're being shipped with two sets of spacers, to fit both types of spindles. That's what we're planning to do...

Last edited:
OP
OP
Sheepdog

Sheepdog

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired police officer
  • Banned
I can't speak for King Suspension as I have not used it before and have not heard of them before owning my 19 Ranger.

Now my question to you is what are you looking to do with your ranger?I understand wanting to go offroad but everyone has thier preference of offroad.

Maybe it would be more of what you are looking for but until we all understand what you are wanting to do with your truck we cant help too much. All I ready got is you do not want to go high speed desert.
I'm not sure what you mean by "helping" me, especially if you've never even heard of King before.

Maybe I can help you with that:

https://companyweek.com/article/king-shocks

I wasn't asking for "help" in choosing suspension modifications- I was attempting to connect with any members here that have done King 2.5s and UCAs on a 2019+ Ranger.

And I never said I didn't want to go fast- I just said that this was not going to be our "full send" vehicle. Fast is a relative term anyways.

But to answer your question- my wife and I are interested in vehicle-based life adventures. We have been involved in multiple roles, within multiple disciplines of motorsports, all over the world.

We have ridden the world's most deadly race course, the Snaefel Mountain Course on the Isle Of Man, on a big-bore Ducati, two-up and solo, at triple-digit speeds. About 250 people have died there over the years. Five people died during the two weeks that we were there- practice week and TT race week.

We have taken turns lapping the Nurburgring Nordschleife at triple-digit speeds in my wife's custom-ordered BMW European Delivery Track Pack car during Touristenfahrten, and I sent my wife on an $860 cab ride around the GP course and the Nordschleife in a Porsche 911 GT3 RS Race Taxi driven by the late Sabine Schmitz during a practice session on a VLN race weekend, at speeds of up to 320 kph (200 mph) according to the on-screen telemetry in the video. Sabine invited us to join her for beers after she was done driving for the day.

I have driven a convertible Lamborghini 150 mph or so through the Italian countryside surrounding the Lamborghini factory when we toured it (as well as Ferrari, Maserati, Pagani, Ducati, and MV Agusta).

We purchased a pristine 3,000-mile ex Marine special forces MTVR 6x6 armored gun truck and converted it into a motorhome for our adventures. It is over 13 feet tall, and has a GVWR of 62,200 pounds. The 500-pound double-beadlocked tubeless radial Michelin tires with run-flat inserts are nearly five feet tall. We look DOWN into 18-wheel tractor-trailer rigs on the highway. It has five drivetrain lockers, dual CTIS, and 16" long-travel fully-independent suspension. It has traction control, full time all wheel drive, ABS, a wide-range heavy-duty 7-speed double-overdrive Allison automatic transmission. It has a 12-liter (732 cubic inch) CAT intercooled turbodiesel engine with 425 horsepower and 1,550 pounds of torque. It has power steering, power brakes, air conditioning, an adjustable air ride seat, and is electronically limited to 65 mph. We keep it inside our 2,300 square foot workshop with the Ranger and some of our other vehicles.

We would like some day to experience the 24 Hours of Le Mans. Porsche's 2018 victory in their new "Pink Pig" brought tears to my eyes. We toured Porsche in Stuttgart before I ordered mine, and got to see the original "Pink Pig" 917/20, the car that killed the "Ford" GT40.

Now that we are based out of our ranch in Texas, we are considering another goal of ours- to pre-run the Baja 1000. We don't intend to do it as fast as more exotic prerunners are capable of, but obviously the stock suspension would really hold us back. Long-travel off-road suspension systems are absolutely miserable on the street, and we don't want to take a high-dollar vehicle into Mexico, so we're considering a mid-travel setup, so that this vehicle is still usable to us on a daily basis. Which brings us to the King 2.5s.

20141010_152626.jpg

20141010_142239.jpg

A0371050 (2) (800x533).jpg

20141009_122557.jpg

IMG_4449 (2).jpg

20141002_065419.jpg

20141009_092926.jpg

Last edited:

Frenchy

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger, 2019 cargo van, soon to be 1993
Occupation
Crown Forklift Technician
I'm not sure what you mean by "helping" me, especially if you've never even heard of King before.

Maybe I can help you with that:

https://companyweek.com/article/king-shocks

I wasn't asking for "help" in choosing suspension modifications- I was attempting to connect with any members here that have done King 2.5s and UCAs on a 2019+ Ranger.

And I never said I didn't want to go fast- I just said that this was not going to be our "full send" vehicle. Fast is a relative term anyways.

But to answer your question- my wife and I are interested in vehicle-based life adventures. We have been involved in multiple roles, within multiple disciplines of motorsports, all over the world.

We have ridden the world's most deadly race course, the Snaefel Mountain Course on the Isle Of Man, on a big-bore Ducati, two-up and solo, at triple-digit speeds. About 250 people have died there over the years. Five people died during the two weeks that we were there- practice week and TT race week.

We have taken turns lapping the Nurburgring Nordschleife at triple-digit speeds in my wife's custom-ordered BMW European Delivery Track Pack car during Touristenfahrten, and I sent my wife on an $860 cab ride around the GP course and the Nordschleife in a Porsche 911 GT3 RS Race Taxi driven by the late Sabine Schmitz during a practice session on a VLN race weekend, at speeds of up to 320 kph (200 mph) according to the on-screen telemetry in the video. Sabine invited us to join her for beers after she was done driving for the day.

I have driven a convertible Lamborghini 150 mph or so through the Italian countryside surrounding the Lamborghini factory when we toured it (as well as Ferrari, Maserati, Pagani, Ducati, and MV Agusta).

We purchased a pristine 3,000-mile ex Marine special forces MTVR 6x6 armored gun truck and converted it into a motorhome for our adventures. It is over 13 feet tall, and has a GVWR of 62,200 pounds. The 500-pound double-beadlocked tubeless radial Michelin tires with run-flat inserts are nearly five feet tall. We look DOWN into 18-wheel tractor-trailer rigs on the highway. It has five drivetrain lockers, dual CTIS, and 16" long-travel fully-independent suspension. It has traction control, full time all wheel drive, ABS, a wide-range heavy-duty 7-speed double-overdrive Allison automatic transmission. It has a 12-liter (732 cubic inch) CAT intercooled turbodiesel engine with 425 horsepower and 1,550 pounds of torque. It has power steering, power brakes, air conditioning, an adjustable air ride seat, and is electronically limited to 65 mph. We keep it inside our 2,300 square foot workshop with the Ranger and some of our other vehicles.

We would like some day to experience the 24 Hours of Le Mans. Porsche's 2018 victory in their new "Pink Pig" brought tears to my eyes. We toured Porsche in Stuttgart before I ordered mine, and got to see the original "Pink Pig" 917/20, the car that killed the "Ford" GT40.

Now that we are based out of our ranch in Texas, we are considering another goal of ours- to pre-run the Baja 1000. We don't intend to do it as fast as more exotic prerunners are capable of, but obviously the stock suspension would really hold us back. Long-travel off-road suspension systems are absolutely miserable on the street, and we don't want to take a high-dollar vehicle into Mexico, so we're considering a mid-travel setup, so that this vehicle is still usable to us on a daily basis. Which brings us to the King 2.5s.

20141010_152626.jpg

20141010_142239.jpg

A0371050 (2) (800x533).jpg

20141009_122557.jpg

IMG_4449 (2).jpg

20141002_065419.jpg

20141009_092926.jpg
I appreciate the information as it sounds like you and you wife have had quite a bit of fun over the years!! I'm actually a bit jealous there!!

Now that I understand what you are wanting to do it is possible the King Shocks will do what you want. At the same time I am not 100% sure that it will do what you want. Even though they have an adjustable set the question comes down to will they be adjustable enough for what you are looking for.

The same can be said for the Fox 2.5. I say that because if you were to add heavy bar work with a winch(not sure if that gets done for the BAJA or not) you would need to change the springs that already on them. I have confirmed this with Fox a few weeks ago.

Now as for Old Man EMU you would want to look at the BP-51's. Why that particular series? Well it is very similar to the Kings and Fox 2.5's in terms of fancy adjustable coilover. They can go from nothing added to the from all the way up to front bumber with winch added(if that is something you feel is needed) without changing springs. The adjustment is also on the body vs on the external reservoir. For offroad in the BAJA?Well this suspension would probably hold up lonher than the truck after some videos were shown from Old Man EMU.

Here is a video that Old Man EMU has that gives you a better idea. As to why I support them so much.

Trigganometry

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 XLT scab 301A/tow 4X4 magnetic w/sport blackout
Occupation
Engineering
Quite the impressive travel log of bucket list check offs! ? Some guys get all the fun I guess! Have you looked at the other Fox shocks packages? I’m thinking you might need UCA’s and also beef up sway bars front and rear. I’m curious are you staying stock with the power train of juice’n that up some too. Really curious how this ends up! Oh, to answer your original question, don’t know of many on here that know all that much about Kings or have used them.

OP
OP
Sheepdog

Sheepdog

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired police officer
  • Banned
I appreciate the information as it sounds like you and you wife have had quite a bit of fun over the years!! I'm actually a bit jealous there!
Thanks, Frenchy.

Don't be jealous- when I encounter people at PCA (Porsche Club of America) meetings that have a car that costs more than my house, I am happy for them. I have learned to be thankful when I'm flat broke, and to be thankful when I'm doing well.

I'm nothing special- I'm just a high school dropout that was fortunate enough to retire from my job as a lowly public servant.

My young wife and I like to have fun, because we have been through so much- I have many times been ordered to work three 17-hour doubles back to back, with a total of three hours of sleep over those three days. I have been shot, stabbed, and attacked by pitbulls. It's not every job where your "customers" will try to kill you. I worked an average of 65 hours a week into my mid-50s, until I was retired by an injury in the line of duty chasing a violent felon that had savagely attacked a 9-month pregnant woman, her three preschool-aged daughters, and her elderly father.

I am done doing CPR on blue-colored infants in drug houses. I am done getting other people's blood on me. I am done hugging and crying with the mothers of innocent children killed by hit and run drunk drivers with licenses already revoked for previous DUI convictions. I just want to spend time with my wife now, and I want to have fun doing it.

OP
OP
Sheepdog

Sheepdog

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired police officer
Quite the impressive travel log of bucket list check offs!
Don't get me started- I have taken her to dinner in the Eiffel Tower in Paris. I have scootered her around Rome on a red Italian Vespa. We have done Oktoberfest in Munich Germany, in costume. We have driven her BMW Track pack car over the San Bernardino Pass in the Swiss Alps. I have taken her on a horse-drawn carriage ride up to the world's most famous castle, to have wine and desserts. We have maxxed out her custom-ordered BMW Track Pack car against it's 155 mph speed limiter on the German Autobahns. We've done a musical pub crawl in the Temple Bar District in Dublin. We've taken a horse-drawn Carriage ride to the Guinness Storehouse (it's like beer Disneyland) in Dublin Ireland. We've sipped pints in the Crown Liquor Saloon in Belfast Northern Ireland. We've had some incredibly strong beers in the BrewDog brew pub below the Royal Mile in Edinburgh Scotland. We've toured the Top Gear Museum in Southampton in England. We've pub-hopped in Westminister in London. Salzberg Austria, Venice Italy, Frankfurt Germany, Liechtenstein, we just keep making lists and checking them off...
20140929_221030.jpg
20140928_175642.jpg
20140925_110706.jpg
20141005_105031.jpg

OP
OP
Sheepdog

Sheepdog

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired police officer
I do not know why all of my pictures are not posting at once...

20160612_140512_001.jpg
20160612_093713-1.jpg
20160527_180615.jpg
20160611_213508.jpg
20160612_210053-1.jpg
20160523_220517.jpg
20160525_171919.jpg
20160526_175934.jpg

Lost19Ranger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT FX4 PKG
Occupation
Sales
I don't have kings but from what I have seen on any pre runner style ranger that is what they are running Kings and a good pair of UCAs. If I could that is the route I'd go. They are built for exactly what you are talking about wanting to do with your rig.

OP
OP
Sheepdog

Sheepdog

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired police officer
...and as I'm scrolling through all these pics on my phone, I have come across pics of Greyfriar's Bobby, and as a retired cop and a dog lover, I cannot tell the story of Greyfriar's Bobby without getting choked up, so I'll give it it's own post:

Greyfriar's Bobby was a dog that belonged to a cop in Scotland in the 1800s. After the officer died, his dog stood guard over his grave for 14 years, until the dog died of old age, and was buried nearby at a church. At some point, a statue of the dog was installed across the street from his grave. It is customary to touch the nose of the dog's statue when visiting Greyfriar's Bobby. With all of the visitors doing this, the nose of the dog's statue never tarnishes.

To this day, 150 years after the dog passed, people (many of them cops) still travel from all over the world to leave sticks for the dog on his grave.

20160523_210849.jpg
20160523_201941.jpg
20160523_201951.jpg

themikeyan

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 Lariat FX4
If you're looking for sustained high speed runs on roads with lots of shock action, go with a 2.5 shock for sure.

Disckaimer: I have icon ucas, Deaver HD rear leafpack, kings with adjusters all around. I run hard in the desert. Sustained high speeds, however almost always in 2wd but my setups the truck under amazing control and zero fade. I think fox 2.5s would be very similiar.

Mike

OP
OP
Sheepdog

Sheepdog

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired police officer
If you're looking for sustained high speed runs on roads with lots of shock action, go with a 2.5 shock for sure.

Disckaimer: I have icon ucas, Deaver HD rear leafpack, kings with adjusters all around. I run hard in the desert. Sustained high speeds, however almost always in 2wd but my setups the truck under amazing control and zero fade. I think fox 2.5s would be very similiar.

Mike
Thank you, Mike.

I'm thinking about doing the Deavers too.

I'd like to know more about your experience with this set-up.
Sponsored