How to tell if lift/level has been done.

Volkswilliam

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT FX4
Occupation
Weld Inspector
OK I feel kind of stupid asking this but I'm new to 4WD stuff...

I need to know how to tell if my truck has a level or lift kit.

I bought my 2019 FX4 last year with 10k miles on it and as far as I could tell or was told by the dealer, the only mod that was done was an aftermarket tow package (That they screwed up the wiring on but I have fixed).

I have always thought the truck looked a little more aggressive than other rangers but didn't think much of it until today I parked next to an identical truck. FX4 with same wheels and tires (stock) and my truck is at least an inch taller in the front. Mine has a canopy and the other didn't so hard to tell in the rear. Later today someone walked up and asked me about my "Lift" and I didn't know what to say.

Then I got a hole in the sidewall of my tire and its finally time to upgrade the tires but I want to know if I've got a level or lift kit before I buy because maybe I can go bigger than I thought!

So how do I tell if theres a lift or level kit?

Thanks!
Sponsored

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
Hey Will, First take a look and see if you can tell if the shocks have been replaced. It should be obvious if they're stock and if they're aftermarket they'll have the brands name on them like Bilstien or Eibach.

A level kit are just spacers sitting on top of the front springs. That's what I have and it'll look like the picture below. More than likely it has a level kit seeing as they left the stock tires. If it were a lift most end up going larger with their tires. Even with a level you can still go up in size but a lift gives you more options to go even larger. Not the best picture.but you can see the spacer at the top and the bolts on the top might still look new. Hope this helps.

IMG_4697.jpg

Here's the spacers before installing:

RC Level Kit.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
Volkswilliam

Volkswilliam

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT FX4
Occupation
Weld Inspector
Hey Will, First take a look and see if you can tell if the shocks have been replaced. It should be obvious if they're stock and if they're aftermarket they'll have the brands name on them like Bilstien or Eibach.

A level kit are just spacers sitting on top of the front springs. That's what I have and it'll look like the picture below. More than likely it has a level kit seeing as they left the stock tires. If it were a lift most end up going larger with their tires. Even with a level you can still go up in size but a lift gives you more options to go even larger. Not the best picture.but you can see the spacer at the top and the bolts on the top might still look new. Hope this helps.
Awesome thanks.

Are the stock shocks Ford or FX4 badged or are they bilstiens?

And I assume a 1" level kit has a 1" thick plate at the top?

Sorry I know this is silly but this is the first vehicle I've owned that I didn't lower haha. Everything is opposite!

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
Awesome thanks.

Are the stock shocks Ford or FX4 badged or are they bilstiens?

And I assume a 1" level kit has a 1" thick plate at the top?

Sorry I know this is silly but this is the first vehicle I've owned that I didn't lower haha. Everything is opposite!
No worries we were all new to this at one time. :)

The stock Fx4 shocks are Fox like in the pic below. Yes the spacers come in different sizes and the most common are 2.5" which will make the front look level with the rear. With these I went up to 265/70/17 (32's) which didn't require any cutting or replacing of the front crash bars. They fit perfect and there's no rubbing at all. You can go up to 33's 285/70/17 but you'll need to either cut the crash bars or install aftermarket ones so the tires don't rub. This is all while keeping the stock wheels and offset.

IMG_4698.jpg

OP
OP
Volkswilliam

Volkswilliam

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT FX4
Occupation
Weld Inspector
The stock Fx4 shocks are Fox like in the pic below. Yes the spacers come in different sizes and the most common are 2.5" which will make the front look level with the rear. With these I went up to 265/70/17 (32's) which didn't require any cutting or replacing of the front crash bars. They fit perfect and there's no rubbing at all. You can go up to 33's 285/70/17 but you'll need to either cut the crash bars or install aftermarket ones so the tires don't rub. This is all while keeping the stock wheels and offset.
Thats exactly the tire size I'm looking at and I suspect thats the level kit I have.

What tires did you end up with? Mind sending a photo of how the tires look on the truck?

Thanks so much for your help!

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
I went with the Nitto Ridge Grapplers and couldn't be more happy with them. They're quiet on the street and aggressive enough off road.

IMG_1405.jpg

IMG_1493.jpg

OP
OP
Volkswilliam

Volkswilliam

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT FX4
Occupation
Weld Inspector
img_0425-jpg.jpg

This was taken in the dealership right before I drove home. That looks pretty level right?!

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
img_0425-jpg.jpg

This was taken in the dealership right before I drove home. That looks pretty level right?!
Yes that's definitely leveled. Here's mine stock the day after I bought it and you can see the front rake.

IMG_1253.jpg

OP
OP
Volkswilliam

Volkswilliam

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT FX4
Occupation
Weld Inspector
And heres a photo of the exact same truck as mine.
ford-ranger-gallery-01-1.jpg

OP
OP
Volkswilliam

Volkswilliam

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT FX4
Occupation
Weld Inspector
Yes that's definitely leveled. Here's mine stock the day after I bought it and you can see the front rake.

IMG_1253.jpg
Yup. I just always thought my truck looked cooler than other rangers because it was mine haha! I will dig into this tomorrow. Too dark and cold now.

I was reading that the 265/70/17 will fit without a level kit. Think I could go bigger without more mods?

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
Yup. I just always thought my truck looked cooler than other rangers because it was mine haha! I will dig into this tomorrow. Too dark and cold now.

I was reading that the 265/70/17 will fit without a level kit. Think I could go bigger without more mods?
Yes they will fit but anything larger will rub with out a level or lift. I stayed with this size for that reason and I also didn't want to get any worse gas mileage going up any larger as it's my daily driver.

OP
OP
Volkswilliam

Volkswilliam

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT FX4
Occupation
Weld Inspector

IMG_1253.jpg
Just as we suspected. I can see the leveling block. Just need to figure out how to measure it.
4643E0AD-076F-49E0-B5C7-C1662D785944.jpeg

Thanks for your help!

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
Awesome. Now if I'm thinking clearly (insomnia last night) measure from the ground to the center of the upper fender. Mine is at 38 1/4" but I have larger tires (1" taller) so you'll have to add that to your measurement. If it's the same then it would be a 2.5" spacer. If not I'm going back to bed. lol
Sponsored