Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Formerly owner of an Ingot FX4
Occupation
Retired
I made this little keepsake box last week. It's maple, birdseye maple veneer, and padauk. The liner is cork. Most of the pieces were cut by my CNC, but there was some handwork too. I may make another one of these in the near future, but in black walnut and purpleheart.

03 fitment.jpg

01 cnc work.jpg
02 veneering.jpg

06a open.jpg
07 interior.jpg
Sponsored

bka0721

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 Ranger Edge 2X4 Reg Cab - 2004 Ranger XLT 4X4 4dr - 2008 F550 4X4 Crew Cab Dually
I made this little keepsake box last week. It's maple, birdseye maple veneer, and padauk. The liner is cork. Most of the pieces were cut by my CNC, but there was some handwork too. I may make another one of these in the near future, but in black walnut and purpleheart.
Nice work!

Would you mind sharing a little about your CNC machine?

RoadtripsOfUnusualSize

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Formerly owner of an Ingot FX4
Occupation
Retired
Would you mind sharing a little about your CNC machine?
It's an Evolution 4 from Bob's CNC. The bed is 24" x 24" and it came as a kit that I assembled. Before retiring and downsizing, I had a small side business that made small boxes, bowls, and tables. I had a 500ft2 workworking shop with an assortment of machines. Now, I live in a small townhouse with just a corner of a garage available for woodworking. A modern hobbyist CNC router doesn't take up much room and can replace quite a few machines.

Bob's CNC website

Bob CNC lg.jpg

Last edited:

Tracy Bowman

First Name
Tracy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Hyundai Accent, 2001 Ford F-150, 2019 Ford Ranger FX4 Saber Lariat

03 fitment.jpg

01 cnc work.jpg
02 veneering.jpg

06a open.jpg
07 interior.jpg
Beautiful!

WhyNot21

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Lariat FX4 Screw 501A ...
Occupation
EE
Got it in and installed. Also added the 2 wireless phone chargers, these are higher wattage so they work thru the wood.

20220410_175424.jpg

20220410_173524.jpg
That looks great! Reminds me of my waterbed from the '80's, but not in a bad way. :) I kind of miss those cubbies...

Reactions: Doc

P. A. Schilke

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4 Lariat 4x4, 2020 Lincoln Nautilus, 2005 Alfa Motorhome
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Got it in and installed. Also added the 2 wireless phone chargers, these are higher wattage so they work thru the wood.

20220410_175424.jpg

20220410_173524.jpg
Hi Mike,

Excellent work! Well done!

Best,
Phil

OP
OP
Fawnbuster

Fawnbuster

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger
Occupation
Retired 34 years as LEO
Vehicle Showcase
That looks great! Reminds me of my waterbed from the '80's, but not in a bad way. :) I kind of miss those cubbies...
Thanks., yes the style does that, I like to make things that are both attractive but highly functional.

When I searched online for the wireless chargers these came highly rated online I could only get them in white at the time. It's 2 parts. The flat coiled top plate that has a circle in the center, you place the pad where you want it then peel and stick it down, place 1 rare earth magnet in the circle and then from the underside you use the 2 other magets to locate the 1st magnet and connect and hold each other in place. Then move the non ferrous metal bracket over the 2 magnets and slide the lower one thru a hole, use double sided tape to hold it in place then I added 4 small screws. Slide the charger in the slot and plug it in. Worked like a charm. The acoustics sound great, I listen to Coast to coast am at night so having it Closer to my head I can hear it better at lower volumes at the same time.

20220411_053628.jpg

OP
OP
Fawnbuster

Fawnbuster

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger
Occupation
Retired 34 years as LEO
Vehicle Showcase
Making a coffee table for my stepson's college graduation in May. This is a solid piece of Iroko wood, although it isn't related to Teak, it's often mislabeled as African Teak. I bought a Lichtenberg machine to burn the design in it last night then today I used my drill and a couple different nylon brush wheels to clean out the char and then sand it and round over the edges with my router. Tomorrow or maybe tonight I will mix up epoxy with some copper tint and fill the voids. I found a 2 part wax finish I will coat it all with. Should arrive soon. The company I bought it from uses it on both the sanded wood and sanded epoxy, it leaves a satin/ matte sheen. I am not a huge fan of high gloss epoxy but I will try that eventually. Luckily my pacemaker didn't give me any fits while I used the machine, maybe there's still hope for getting a mig welder after all.

20220428_152830.jpg

20220428_152817.jpg

Doc

First Name
Doc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 HPP Mustang, 2021 Ranger STX,2022 Subaru WRX
Occupation
Retired
Making a coffee table for my stepson's college graduation in May. This is a solid piece of Iroko wood, although it isn't related to Teak, it's often mislabeled as African Teak. I bought a Lichtenberg machine to burn the design in it last night then today I used my drill and a couple different nylon brush wheels to clean out the char and then sand it and round over the edges with my router. Tomorrow or maybe tonight I will mix up epoxy with some copper tint and fill the voids. I found a 2 part wax finish I will coat it all with. Should arrive soon. The company I bought it from uses it on both the sanded wood and sanded epoxy, it leaves a satin/ matte sheen. I am not a huge fan of high gloss epoxy but I will try that eventually. Luckily my pacemaker didn't give me any fits while I used the machine, maybe there's still hope for getting a mig welder after all.

20220428_152830.jpg

20220428_152817.jpg
Beautiful !