Where’s your dog?

Tracy Bowman

First Name
Tracy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Hyundai Accent, 2001 Ford F-150, 2019 Ford Ranger FX4 Saber Lariat
Update on Lucy. They tracked her chip to a vet in a nearby town. She is not registered and they have no record of her. Weird. I thought the whole point was so owner & pet could be reunited if one or the other was lost. Anyway, we’ve done what we can to find her owner who, I believe, dropped her off at our house. It’s been a month or so. I’m now claiming her as ours. :)
Another pic of Chief also. Best I could do. He doesn’t like his picture taken.:whew:
E56C2C27-7075-4247-BE00-451BEB869D56.jpeg

2AD6FC4A-87DC-485B-8491-567ECFC24BE7.jpeg
Sponsored

Chris M

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XLT Sport 4X4
Occupation
Security Supervisor
Good on you for making her yours.
By the same token, you are now hers!
It's always a good day when we are rescued by a needy dog. :)

P. A. Schilke

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4 Lariat 4x4, 2020 Lincoln Nautilus, 2005 Alfa Motorhome
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Tito defining a new borrow upon return from Flafstaff. He shunned the 107°F temps in the backyard...

TitoMexstoola.jpg

Best,
Phil

Montana Ranger

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat
Weird. I thought the whole point was so owner & pet could be reunited if one or the other was lost.
I hear about this all the time. People go to the time and expense of having a chip, and then render it all pointless by never registering it.

On the other hand, is it possible that it was registered, but the former owners deleted the registration when they decided to dispense with the dog?

Sad.

Chris M

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XLT Sport 4X4
Occupation
Security Supervisor
I hear about this all the time. People go to the time and expense of having a chip, and then render it all pointless by never registering it.

On the other hand, is it possible that it was registered, but the former owners deleted the registration when they decided to dispense with the dog?

Sad.
This kind of happened to our dog, Blue.
Previous owners had her chipped and registered her, but then dumped her somewhere. When the county found her the owners would not respond to requests for them to come get her so she was considered a surrender. Biggest blessing to me in a very very long time, and in my eyes a huge loss for the former owners. She is now very much a "daddy's girl" and I couldn't be happier for it. :)

Tracy Bowman

First Name
Tracy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)

Sad.
I wonder the same thing. Their loss. She’s a wonderful dog. She loves us & we love her. :inlove:

deleriumtremor

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Ranger XLT FX4
Occupation
Retired
Understand the situation where you have to dig into the savings to help the dogs live. As I have mentioned before, I traded the Gladiator Rubicon for the Ranger Tremor and was able to get quite a bit of "trade equity" back. This was in part for the upcoming surgery for Sasha. Looks like I am going to have to spend even more $$$ for surgeries for Sasha, our Lab / Border Collie mix. She has a bad left knee (torn CCL) that needs operated on soon. We have had to delay this because she was very sick 3 weeks ago. We think a neighbor tried to poison her, however we have no proof. She has now recovered from that, thank God. The other morning a very untrained and wild GSD that belongs to this suspect neighbor that lives behind us, ran very aggressively towards Sasha and spooked her. Sasha jumped and twisted her good leg trying to run away from the edge of our fence. In the process, she tore he good leg's CCL completely. Now she can hardly walk, and I am having to carry her up and down our 3 stairs from our backyard patio to the back yard. And this sure is not helping my back issues, as she weighs 73 pounds. Plus, after $300 worth of x-rays at the vet, she is now going to have to go in for both knees to be operated on. This is to the tune of up to $7,000. I am not sure how other pet owners can afford this as it is tough for us as well. However, we love her, and she is a great loving and gentle dog, so I will spend the money. Sheesh.....
20190215_180147.jpg
Two dogs ago, the best dog I ever knew (Zoey) was diagnosed with cancer. Our country vet gave her 6 months. I asked about treatments and he said there were a number of options, but the prognosis was a long shot at best with the most advanced treatments.

We decided to take Zoey down to UC Davis. We previously had fabulous luck with that vet hospital with Zoey's elder Abby, where a cardiologist added about 4 years to her prognosis from multiple other vets when she got her in a clinical trial for a new heart med (a med now regularly prescribed for an enlarging heart due to a leaking valve), so off to UC Davis we went.

First visit the young oncology resident said the same about the prognosis as our country vet, he said it was very grim. We said, "is there anything, maybe something in trials?", he said "no, but there was always surgery, then chemo, then radiation and maybe after all that, she just might go into remission, some dogs through that course of treatment do, like 5%". We said, "when can we start?"

Over the next 5 months. I commuted every week down to Davis with Zoey. She loved road trips, so it really cheered her up. After each procedure she would have some quality days, some time even playing for 30 minutes or so.

Zoey got to be a bit of a celebrity at the hospital, which she loved. She loved attention and people in general.

We lost Zoey almost exactly 6 months to the day after our country vet first gave us her prognosis of 6 months. I won't post how much we spent, but the Ranger wasn't whole lot more.

If one of our dogs (Penny or Luck) got the same diagnosis next week, would I take the 20 to 1 odds and do it all over again? Absolutely. Besides being such a lucky guy, in reality for me, it is more like 10 to 1. ;)

Metal Geezer

First Name
Thom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XLT FX4 Off Road
Vehicle Showcase
Ils m'appellent Pierre,
Tu as un problème avec ça?
(Actually, his "French" can be much more civil than mine, considering he's in his early twenties, 4 1/2 years)

20200130_121910.jpg
Pas de probleme, Mon ami. :)

Tracy Bowman

First Name
Tracy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Had a large, long black snake come up in the front porch yesterday. Husband went out to see what Lucy was barking at, and she got between him and the snake. Would not let him near it! He said he had a heck of a time getting her to move so he could catch it & relocate it to the woods. He didn’t think it was poisonous, but it did strike at him a couple of times. Lucy to the rescue! What a great dog! :inlove:

deleriumtremor

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Ranger XLT FX4
Occupation
Retired
There was a documentary we watched a long time ago about the evolution of the human dog connection. It was really great.

I can’t remember if it was PBS, or like Nat Geo, etc.

It was called something like “and man created dog”.

Any dog lover who finds it should definitely watch it, it was great, because, well, dogs are great! :)

gfitzge2

First Name
Gregg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Focus RS, 2019 Ranger, 2021 Mustang Mach 1
Occupation
Retired Electrician
Vehicle Showcase
Had a large, long black snake come up in the front porch yesterday. Husband went out to see what Lucy was barking at, and she got between him and the snake. Would not let him near it! He said he had a heck of a time getting her to move so he could catch it & relocate it to the woods. He didn’t think it was poisonous, but it did strike at him a couple of times. Lucy to the rescue! What a great dog! :inlove:
What a coincidence. Just last week, I stepped out on the porch around 11 pm to let Joline out for one last time before bed. I left the lights off, to allow a better view of the night sky. Sat down on the steps, put my hand down and felt something odd. It took me about 1/4 of a second to realize it was a snake. When I landed, ( who knew an old man could jump that far) it was on the move. Got a flash light to investigate. Black snake a good 6 feet long. Joline was not at all concerned. Looked at me like, so you never saw a snake before? :crazy:

gfitzge2

First Name
Gregg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Focus RS, 2019 Ranger, 2021 Mustang Mach 1
Occupation
Retired Electrician
Vehicle Showcase

Mokume

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2000 Ranger Supercab (sold 12/19) , 2002 Honda CR-V
Occupation
Retired Firefighter III, Honolulu Fire Department
Understand the situation where you have to dig into the savings to help the dogs live. As I have mentioned before, I traded the Gladiator Rubicon for the Ranger Tremor and was able to get quite a bit of "trade equity" back. This was in part for the upcoming surgery for Sasha. Looks like I am going to have to spend even more $$$ for surgeries for Sasha, our Lab / Border Collie mix. She has a bad left knee (torn CCL) that needs operated on soon. We have had to delay this because she was very sick 3 weeks ago. We think a neighbor tried to poison her, however we have no proof. She has now recovered from that, thank God. The other morning a very untrained and wild GSD that belongs to this suspect neighbor that lives behind us, ran very aggressively towards Sasha and spooked her. Sasha jumped and twisted her good leg trying to run away from the edge of our fence. In the process, she tore he good leg's CCL completely. Now she can hardly walk, and I am having to carry her up and down our 3 stairs from our backyard patio to the back yard. And this sure is not helping my back issues, as she weighs 73 pounds. Plus, after $300 worth of x-rays at the vet, she is now going to have to go in for both knees to be operated on. This is to the tune of up to $7,000. I am not sure how other pet owners can afford this as it is tough for us as well. However, we love her, and she is a great loving and gentle dog, so I will spend the money. Sheesh.....
20190215_180147.jpg
I hear you, while walking Pierre a couple of years ago, I came across a couple also walking their Frenchie.

We chatted a little, they asked me if Pierre had medical insurance, my response was that I was considering it. They told me about their other Frenchie that was recovering in a pet hospital because the dog needed back surgery...to the tune of 10K, and counting and if they did not have insurance on the dog they would have to take out a personal loan for it's medical expenses.

Later that evening I took out a policy for Pierre, the yearly premium is pricey, but what price to pay to ensure a healthy life for a dog with unwavering devotion, dedication and love which Pierre has given me?

There is not a day that goes by without me growing fonder and fonder of the little guy...

pierre.jpg
20210117_120445.jpg
Sponsored

Last edited: