When the green light drops

RangerRock

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Race Red Ranger Tremor
Ok, so I know it's not a muscle car, but if I'm going to race with the Ranger what is the best setup? 4-wheel high, sport mode, traction control off? Some other combo?
Sponsored

landiscarrier

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger Lariat, Focus ST
Occupation
Sales
Drag racing is a blast! And you can race any vehicle you want!
Have fun!

OP
OP
RangerRock

RangerRock

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Race Red Ranger Tremor
Drag racing is a blast! And you can race any vehicle you want!
Have fun!
It sure is, my first car at 16 was a Shelby Daytona, had a lotta fun with that one. But as far as the Ranger, what modes do you use if you race it? Did you try multiple ways of setting it up? 4-wheel on? off? Things like that?

landiscarrier

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger Lariat, Focus ST
Occupation
Sales
It sure is, my first car at 16 was a Shelby Daytona, had a lotta fun with that one. But as far as the Ranger, what modes do you use if you race it? Did you try multiple ways of setting it up? 4-wheel on? off? Things like that?
I haven’t tried racing it. From what I read and videos I watched. Looks like 4wd and traction control off.

HarryManback

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger XLT Tremor
Occupation
Electrical Engineer
I've heard 0-60mph with sport mode is actually slower than D thanks to the high RPM hold. Personally I would start in Sport mode, then manually shift up or switch to D just before the RPMs start to hold.

D Fresh

Banned
Banned
First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Lariat FX4, '17 FiST, '16 CX-5, '95 YJ
Occupation
Milkman
Lol, nice! Best response yet.:)
Makes sense. Doc is the only regular poster to have actual drag strip time on his Ranger, one of them anyways.

@Doc if your truck was 4WD would you launch in 4high? Isn't the second one 4WD? I smell an experiment coming.

txquailguy

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger FX4 Lariat - 2020 Hyundai Kona Ultimate
Occupation
Biologist
Vehicle Showcase
Makes sense. Doc is the only regular poster to have actual drag strip time on his Ranger, one of them anyways.

@Doc if your truck was 4WD would you launch in 4high? Isn't the second one 4WD? I smell an experiment coming.
I love to feel the rear end pop sideways when I hit 3rd gear....but that means she's breaking loose from the pavement. IMHO, if I'm running something that I'm not sure about....I'm in Sport mode, 4H, traction control off.....even on wet pavement she doesn't break loose. It is a HUGE advantage over 2wd vehicles! :sunglasses:
I get many compliments from the college racers here in Fort Collins about my Ranger....they love how quick it is....most think I have a bigger turbo than stock, I'm not tellin...;)
Now I do get my butt handed to me sometimes.....but I can do ALOT of butt handing myself....lol
SO MUCH FUN!

D Fresh

Banned
Banned
First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Lariat FX4, '17 FiST, '16 CX-5, '95 YJ
Occupation
Milkman
Is there a limit on how fast you can go with the locker engaged? Sorry, kind of a noob with my locker knowledge.
Locker will automatically disengage @ a set speed, I believe it's roughly 25 mph.

Doc

First Name
Doc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 HPP Mustang, 2021 Ranger STX,2022 Subaru WRX
Occupation
Retired

My trucks are 2wd, if you have a 4wd without mods, I would launch it in 4, but the best alternative (if they are serious and tuned) is put it in 2wd, Drag radials, roll through or if possible, skip the water box, hold the brake pedal down and do a burnout, 20-25 lbs air, boost to 2500-3000 and dump it….engaging the front differential puts a lot of drag in the straightaway…

Last edited:

Blue Streak

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XL STX FX 2021 Honda CR V
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
My truck is 2wd with a locker, if you have a 4wd without mods, I would launch it in 4, but the best alternative (if they are serious and tuned) is put it in 2wd, Drag radials, 20-25 lbs air, boost to 2500-3000 and dump it….
Doc, I know you have probably stated some where, but what times are you turning?
Sponsored

Reactions: Doc