Do the brake lights come on when ACC activates them?

D Fresh

Banned
Banned
First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Lariat FX4, '17 FiST, '16 CX-5, '95 YJ
Occupation
Milkman
So the big reason they send you after the CHMSL instead of the rear brake light is that it's closer to the location of the TBC.
Yes, and likely because it's inside the cab.
Sponsored

Jason B

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 XL STX SE 4x2
Occupation
machinist
So the big reason they send you after the CHMSL instead of the rear brake light is that it's closer to the location of the TBC.
What I am unsure of, is when the collision avoidance activates, does it steadily illuminate the rear brake lights, or does it rapidly flash them for a few seconds then a steady light. Flashing the lights would be good for a trailer brake system.

WOADKIL

First Name
Wil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger XLT Supercrew Cab FX4
Occupation
ENGINEER
ACC braking kicked in one day for a car in the next lane on a freeway because of the bend in the road. Not as dangerous, but not ideal either. I turn it off for multi-lane roads after that.
This Labor Day Weekend driving home from Morro Bay on 101, I was just going to pass a car parked on the shoulder while in the slow lane. Out of the blue the PCA lit off!

Not very handy and fortunately no auto braking involved...

ontheroad

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Super Cab Lariat 4x4
Occupation
Retired Donut Chef
Driving home from work the other night, had the ACC on while cruising down the highway. Dark highway, no artificial lighting and trees by the roadside. Car up ahead cut into my lane and the ACC braked, I could see the brake lamps illuminating the roadway and trees from my side view mirror.

So they do turn on when ACC brakes.

Jason B

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 XL STX SE 4x2
Occupation
machinist
Just found a comment on the etrailer | Redarc Tow-Pro Elite Trailer Brake Controller Installation - 2019 Ford Ranger - YouTube to add clarification(or confusion) about the TBC needing the CHMSL. I highlighted the concerning part .

"
Will Spears
3 months ago
2020 Ranger is identical. I'd like to correct some information here as well. The Ford "OEM" TBC is of course the same Redarc unit. But, due to an engineering oversight, the Ford version requires an additional module. The "Stock" Redarc unit is not able to apply trailer brakes during automatic emergency braking conditions, because the wire under the dash does not provide a braking signal during that. The trailer brakes only will apply when the pedal is pressed. The Ford OEM one includes a LUMENS LED ECU module, which pulls a signal from the third brake light, as the light turns on during all braking conditions. If you don't go with the Ford OEM version, keep this in mind.
The Redarc is a great unit, I just wish Ford didn't drop the ball on their execution. I'm not saying this to start arguments, I just want you all to be informed. If you have any further questions I'm happy to answer here or in my DMs. I don't work for Ford, I'm just someone who researched extensively."
Sponsored