Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4 Lariat 4x4, 2020 Lincoln Nautilus, 2005 Alfa Motorhome
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Mine has a slight low squeal at very low speeds.What could be the cause? It has ~3000 miles on it, so it cant be wear as I don't break hard or ride the brakes. I did do the bedding in process on the truck early due to the sponge like feeling of the brake pedal.

Is it the pad quality that Ford uses that gives early wear? I had a VW with 60K on the original pads and not even close to needing replacement.
Hi Jason,

Not normal. As a start, since you can see your rotors through the wheel, what do they look like, Nice smooth and shiny? Blueish (heat and needs attention)...Grooved our scored(Something that needs attention). Also, check the brake heat shield if you can for a rubbing condition... I think the heat shield is likely your issue. How handy are you? Pull the wheel that is suspect for a better inspection or have the dealer do this under warranty.

Good luck!

Best,
Phil Schilke
Ranger Vehicle Engineering
Ford Motor Co. Retired
Sponsored

Hirnlego

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT 302A
Hi Jason,

Not normal. As a start, since you can see your rotors through the wheel, what do they look like, Nice smooth and shiny? Blueish (heat and needs attention)...Grooved our scored(Something that needs attention). Also, check the brake heat shield if you can for a rubbing condition... I think the heat shield is likely your issue. How handy are you? Pull the wheel that is suspect for a better inspection or have the dealer do this under warranty.

Good luck!

Best,
Phil Schilke
Ranger Vehicle Engineering
Ford Motor Co. Retired
Thanks Phil.
I think you are correct as it may have been the dust shield. A slight pull on one of the dust shields felt a bit odd. I checked it for clearance all around. Will monitor it this week, specially in the morning as this is when I hear it mostly. The rotors look good no grooves, or blueish spots, and feel smooth to the touch with even coloring/wear. Worst case, I will pull the wheel and inspect further.

Rotor.jpg

First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 silverado
32000 miles , brakes and rotors. Mud and slop ate them up. That's the nature of where I have to drive.

AutobotXJ

First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger
Occupation
Wildlife Biologist
Mine was making a noise after about 600 miles. Took off the brake pads to see and one of my shims was off center and rubbing the pad. Must have been installed wrong. Quiet now!

OP
OP
Raptor-EU

Raptor-EU

First Name
Henri
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.puraleña.com
Vehicle(s)
Ford Ranger Raptor
Occupation
A lot of nothing.
Vehicle Showcase
8,500 on mine and no noise what so ever and feel just as good as the day I bought it. You must be driving it like a race car. lol

The only whistling I hear are all the hotties whistling at me in my Ranger. ? ?
Would you call this excessive for a Built Tough Performance truck?

20200518_203032.jpg

20200103_173431.jpg

OP
OP
Raptor-EU

Raptor-EU

First Name
Henri
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.puraleña.com
Vehicle(s)
Ford Ranger Raptor
Occupation
A lot of nothing.
Vehicle Showcase
Thanks Phil.
I think you are correct as it may have been the dust shield. A slight pull on one of the dust shields felt a bit odd. I checked it for clearance all around. Will monitor it this week, specially in the morning as this is when I hear it mostly. The rotors look good no grooves, or blueish spots, and feel smooth to the touch with even coloring/wear. Worst case, I will pull the wheel and inspect further.

Rotor.jpg
Thanks that's a great suggestion. I wouldn't be surprised if a bit of mud has started to build up inside. Terrain(mud) is raster sticky after the occasional rain. I also made another post where I mentioned that I had wheel balancing issues due to collecting some mud in the rims. Thanks.

outdoorphotog

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Lincoln Navigator L
Occupation
Limo Driver
Mine was making a noise after about 600 miles. Took off the brake pads to see and one of my shims was off center and rubbing the pad. Must have been installed wrong. Quiet now!
That's a great idea, Ill check and see.

db_tanker

First Name
Darrell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger / 2018 Honda Civic EX 5 door
Occupation
Process Professional
Thanks Phil.

Rotor.jpg

Are you sure it wasn't happening when you were listening to EinstĂĽrzende Neubauten? :p

Hirnlego

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT 302A
Are you sure it wasn't happening when you were listening to EinstĂĽrzende Neubauten? :p
Highly possible as it does sound like Blixa's vocals at times, or NU Unruh could have been using the truck as an instrument like many of his noise machines.

Gizmokid2005

Threads
Reaction score
Website
gizmokid2005.com
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT 4X4 SCrew
Occupation
SQL Developer
Vehicle Showcase
I skipped most of the replies in here after reading your post.

I am currently on my *THIRD* set of rear pads because each prior pair was squeaking under braking almost immediately. The first set happened in less than 500 miles after purchase, the second set were within 1000 miles, but this last set have been solid finally.

It took multiple dealer trips and they turned the rotors each time as well, but they finally took care of it. If you're seeing noise in your brakes already, make the dealer fix it, it's way too early for that to be happening. I would expect at least 60k miles out of these brakes assuming you aren't excessively rough with them or constantly towing.

Ron45675

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat
Occupation
Law Enforcement
Hi all,

Newbie to truck driving here. But what is the average life span of your brake pads?
Mine started whisling(indicator) at 7000 miles or roughly 11000km.

Note that I admit that I am also far off the average fuel consumption. As I did buy it with the intention to have some fun as well.

Please add your milage/kilometers when front brake pads started whistling.

Thanks, and keep healthy and optimistic.
Mine has 18,200 miles and they are still in good shape. I purchased mine new and think the braking is one area Ford could definitely improve the truck.

underlanding

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Ranger Lariat 4x4 FX4
Vehicle Showcase
I skipped most of the replies in here after reading your post.

I am currently on my *THIRD* set of rear pads because each prior pair was squeaking under braking almost immediately. The first set happened in less than 500 miles after purchase, the second set were within 1000 miles, but this last set have been solid finally.

It took multiple dealer trips and they turned the rotors each time as well, but they finally took care of it. If you're seeing noise in your brakes already, make the dealer fix it, it's way too early for that to be happening. I would expect at least 60k miles out of these brakes assuming you aren't excessively rough with them or constantly towing.
What ended up being the problem?

Gizmokid2005

Threads
Reaction score
Website
gizmokid2005.com
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT 4X4 SCrew
Occupation
SQL Developer
Vehicle Showcase
What ended up being the problem?
Absolutely no idea. Bunk pads? Multiple times in a row? The only thing they ever did was replace pads and turn the rotors in the rear. I haven't had an issue in ~6k miles, since May, when they were replaced last.
Sponsored