Website
www.puraleña.com
Vehicle(s)
Ford Ranger Raptor
Occupation
A lot of nothing.
Vehicle Showcase
Hi all,

Newbie to truck driving here. But what is the average life span of your brake pads?
Mine started whisling(indicator) at 7000 miles or roughly 11000km.

Note that I admit that I am also far off the average fuel consumption. As I did buy it with the intention to have some fun as well.

Please add your milage/kilometers when front brake pads started whistling.

Thanks, and keep healthy and optimistic.
Sponsored

Spence's bumper sticker

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Ranger Lariat FX4, '17 Edge Sport
Occupation
Security Analyst + USN
Hi all,

Newbie to truck driving here. But what is the average life span of your brake pads?
Mine started whisling(indicator) at 7000 miles or roughly 11000km.

Note that I admit that I am also far off the average fuel consumption. As I did buy it with the intention to have some fun as well.

Please add your milage/kilometers when front brake pads started whistling.

Thanks, and keep healthy and optimistic.
7,000 miles and your brakes are already making noise?!?! That is excessive, even for Ford trucks which are notorious for having short-lived brakes. I don't know what the owner's manual says, but every Ranger and F-150 I've owned need brakes at around the 30,000 mile mark.

Augie81

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4
If you have had it less than a year I'd have a dealer look in to it. I just looked at warranty details via my Ford App. It says the break pads/linings are covered for 12 months / 18,000 miles.

db_tanker

First Name
Darrell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger / 2018 Honda Civic EX 5 door
Occupation
Process Professional
hell after 10k miles my rotors have NO odd wear or such noted on them?

nice, smooth brake feel on my end and living/driving in houston you have to hit the brakes quite often :\

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
8,500 on mine and no noise what so ever and feel just as good as the day I bought it. You must be driving it like a race car. lol

The only whistling I hear are all the hotties whistling at me in my Ranger. ? ?

rltriumph

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger Lariat
Occupation
Pipefitter
I can get close to a 100,000 miles out of brakes no matter what vehicle im driving. Alot of higway easy on the go pedal and allow the vehicle to engine brake if I can. Wife may get 25,000 miles if shes lucky. But she drives like an idiot.

Msfitoy

First Name
Sid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger, 2003 MINI Cooper S, 2021 Honda CT125
Occupation
Automotive, Industrial Designer
Vehicle Showcase
45k and my rotors are smooth as day one...same pads...I drive her like a touring bus...nice and smooooth ?

Hirnlego

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT 302A
Mine has a slight low squeal at very low speeds.What could be the cause? It has ~3000 miles on it, so it cant be wear as I don't break hard or ride the brakes. I did do the bedding in process on the truck early due to the sponge like feeling of the brake pedal.

Is it the pad quality that Ford uses that gives early wear? I had a VW with 60K on the original pads and not even close to needing replacement.

Jim C

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 Ranger
i would get it to the dealer, i had a 15 mustang with about that & it sounded like a dump truck. LMAO the service rep said it was normal then talked with an intelligent rep & there was a TSB for that issue

OP
OP
Raptor-EU

Raptor-EU

First Name
Henri
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.puraleña.com
Vehicle(s)
Ford Ranger Raptor
Occupation
A lot of nothing.
Vehicle Showcase
i would get it to the dealer, i had a 15 mustang with about that & it sounded like a dump truck. LMAO the service rep said it was normal then talked with an intelligent rep & there was a TSB for that issue
Yes, I did go to a Ford dealer. And was talking with a very assistive receptionist. Then a sales guy walked in and told me they would need to remove the wheels and on the question if my Ford would give me some kind of warning in the Ford Sync 3 software, he told me to go to my car and check my manual in the dashboard.

Sorry, what?

Guess I should have asked that I want to buy a new Ford Mustang 'Bullit' as an additional vehicle But would like to know if it is equipped with a warning signal, regarding brake pad wear. Surely he would have run off for a red carpet and find an answer to my question. Well this specific dealer will see me for maintenance. But the cars will be bought at another.

geophb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger
Occupation
Mechanical Engineer
Yes, I did go to a Ford dealer. And was talking with a very assistive receptionist. Then a sales guy walked in and told me they would need to remove the wheels and on the question if my Ford would give me some kind of warning in the Ford Sync 3 software, he told me to go to my car and check my manual in the dashboard.

Sorry, what?

Guess I should have asked that I want to buy a new Ford Mustang 'Bullit' as an additional vehicle But would like to know if it is equipped with a warning signal, regarding brake pad wear. Surely he would have run off for a red carpet and find an answer to my question. Well this specific dealer will see me for maintenance. But the cars will be bought at another.
? ? Love it. He will probably say that there is a warning for brake rotor run-out too. You tell him that brake warning only comes up if you use a motorcraft oil filter? ?

In all seriousness, the problem today is there is alot of "No light=No Problem" mentality.
That and I have yet to find a sales guy that knows remotely anything about vehicles, I feel bad for the buyers that don't know either and are fed BS from salesmen.

myothercarizahearse

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger STX 4x4 w/ GFC V2, 1987 Caddy hearse
Occupation
Unretired
what are brakes? i don't use them they are for wusses... Seriously aftermarket brakes need to catch up. I really would like to switch to drilled and slotted rotors all around

OP
OP
Raptor-EU

Raptor-EU

First Name
Henri
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.puraleña.com
Vehicle(s)
Ford Ranger Raptor
Occupation
A lot of nothing.
Vehicle Showcase
what are brakes? i don't use them they are for wusses
Exactly, I try to avoid the necessity to scrape them from my hood, and carefully load the remains in a hearse funeral car.

Some drivers are real wussus.

unnamed.jpg

Hope we can get back to topic now, as I really feel that the whistling sound during breaking isn't normal. Especially on a truck developed by 'Ford Performance'.

Last edited:

geophb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger
Occupation
Mechanical Engineer
Yank wheels off and pull out the pads, see what they look like. Post pics if you want. Disc brakes are easy.
If they look good then make sure there is no debris anywhere making noise, then drop em back in and keep rollin.
I would've done that the first time I heard the noise. TBH. (not meant as a jab)
Sponsored