What "modification" have you been disappointed with?

WingShot

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 XLT, Tremor, Cactus Gray
Occupation
Graphic Artist
Going off another thread I started, what mods have you done to your truck that you wish you hadn't? The only thing for me so far is those Ford emblem stickers that didn't meet my expectations.

Take it off and start over?

Take it off and do something else?

Learn to live with it?
Sponsored

SilverSlugger

First Name
Wally
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4
Occupation
Baking
I bought the Mishimoto cold air intake. While I like it and I do think it provides a VERY minimal increase in power and sound it's way too hard to switch out the filter. Instead of buying a new filter Ill probably switch it out for another CAI that's easier to switch out the filter.

Superdannyboy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT Sport Appearance Package
I bought the Mishimoto cold air intake. While I like it and I do think it provides a VERY minimal increase in power and sound it's way too hard to switch out the filter. Instead of buying a new filter Ill probably switch it out for another CAI that's easier to switch out the filter.
I found it easy to do with a flat head.
Bought an AFE filter to replace it from summit racing and changed it in the parking lot in 5 minutes. I was on my toes because I'm 5'6 and the front is leveled haha.

Superdannyboy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
The mod I wish I can take back is buying 16" wheels.
I didn't know 2 months later I was going to put fiberglass and the biggest I can go is 35's on 16" wheels, well actually a little under at 315/75r16. I do think 35's look perfect with the fiberglass but eventually I want to either cut the fiberglass or put new wider fiberglass without the little flare part to fit 37" up to 39" tires.
That's later down the road and I'll probably put beadlocks when I do anyway.
Oh and also buying from method, I now know they're made in China.

VegasRanger

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 STX Crew Cab 4x4
Occupation
Damper Salesman
Nothing really. The only thing I can think of is the side steps, which I took off a few weeks later and sold. Didn't like the way they looked and reduced clearance while off roading.

The only other mod that eventually I will replace is my 2.5" leveling struts up front. Eventually I want a true lift on my truck done professionally by a shop.

Superdannyboy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Nothing really. The only thing I can think of is the side steps, which I took off a few weeks later and sold. Didn't like the way they looked and reduced clearance while off roading.

The only other mod that eventually I will replace is my 2.5" leveling struts up front. Eventually I want a true lift on my truck done professionally by a shop.
Ahh yes sidesteps put me down for this too. I only put them because my wife wanted some steps so I put some that didn't reduce ground clearance and are flush with the frame but they don't stick out enough I can barely get a foot on em so maybe some wider ones would be better but not lower for sure.

VegasRanger

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 STX Crew Cab 4x4
Occupation
Damper Salesman
Ahh yes sidesteps put me down for this too. I only put them because my wife wanted some steps so I put some that didn't reduce ground clearance and are flush with the frame but they don't stick out enough I can barely get a foot on em so maybe some wider ones would be better but not lower for sure.
Yup. I'm going with rock sliders soon anyways, so they were going to come off one way or another anyways.

Dr. Zaius

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4
My Livernois tuner.

taildraggerpilot

First Name
Carl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Lariat FX4, 2022 MINI JCW Hardtop
Occupation
Boeing Driver
For me it was the recent addition of a Roush CAI. I wasn't expecting the CAI to provide massive power improvement, huge fuel economy gains and regrow hair the way the manufacturers hype them; I've had them before, and I just think they are cool. What disappointed me was the quality of the Roush unit. The inlet from the stock intake to the Roush box doesn't seal very well. I had to trim numerous casting marks to get the stock sensor to fit just to make it presentable. Even the Roush sticker didn't stick. It will definitely do the job, but very disappointed considering the Roush reputation and price tag.
I did the Roush CAI and experienced none of those problems. Perhaps you received a bad part that should have never passed QA. The band clamps aren‘t the greatest, so I did the aviation thing and safety wired all of them.

For those wondering, I have noticed a decent power and mileage improvement with my intake setup (Roush CAI, aFe intake scoop and Velossa Tech Big Mouth ram air intake)

puckdodger

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Black Lariat 2020 SOLD Black Cadillac XT5
Catch can. While I do think they are beneficial to help keep the valves cleaner and it does remove a lot of crud, I found it quite difficult to install. Plus it is another thing to worry about maintaining, and the hoses are starting to show signs of cracking which gives me cold sweats when I think about how to fix that upcoming problemo_O??????

For me it was the recent addition of a Roush CAI. I wasn't expecting the CAI to provide massive power improvement, huge fuel economy gains and regrow hair the way the manufacturers hype them; I've had them before, and I just think they are cool. What disappointed me was the quality of the Roush unit. The inlet from the stock intake to the Roush box doesn't seal very well. I had to trim numerous casting marks to get the stock sensor to fit just to make it presentable. Even the Roush sticker didn't stick. It will definitely do the job, but very disappointed considering the Roush reputation and price tag.
That sucks, I would expect better from a brand like Roush, but nothing really surprises me anymore either. I had been considering a CAI but I dunno man. The truck is quick enough for me with the tune and stock breathing. The last two cars I put them on it really did wake them up but that was in combination with headers, exhaust, and rockers. I ain't going down that road in Ol' Ferd.

bobobama

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger FX2
Occupation
Retired (and loving it!)