First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat FX4
Occupation
Real Estate
My mantra about the truck is keep it simple and uncomplicated.
I don't buy stuff to put on it for looks.
Form follows Function.

But - I would like to add some lights.

My driving pattern is as such (All Arizona from Bisbee to Flag):
Parked because I WFH - 60%
Day Pavement - 30%
Night Pavement - 20%
Day Off-Road - 9.99%
Night Off-Road - Some shit has to have gone seriously sideways.

Much of the pavement driving is rural though so not as much interstate as some get around here.

My idea / want / need for lights is to be for those occasional times I'm off road at night, in snow, in rain. I don't want them to be like 10" spots on the front. They can be visible but should be unobtrusive. Example - Not putting a huge light bar on the roof. It's overkill.

So what should I look to? Ditch lights? Pencil beams? Upgrade Fogs?
I'm interested in this too for my 2019 Ranger Lariat. We often drive at dusk up the mountain and the deer can be pretty thick at times. I've killed two in the past 18 months with my recently sold Ram. Now that I have the Ranger, I'd rather avoid hitting any more of them.

The factory LED's headlight and high beams are good, but I need something to light up the sides of the road to give me that extra 1-2 seconds of warning before the deer or Elk walk into the road.

Replacing the factory fogs is a good start, but those switch off when you turn on high beams. I'd almost rather have something in addition that I can control with a switch in the cab. They would also be used for occasional off-roading at night.
Sponsored

Danager

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Edge
Occupation
Manager
Using Forscan to enable Bambi mode is a must. Fog lights stay on with high beams!

Then add lights, on a separate switch, until your heart’s content.

bentroia

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Tremor
Occupation
Logistics
My 2021 Lariat needed better lighting for off road and dark mountain roads. Two Bsja Designs Squadron Pros in the combo pattern, mounted easily in the front bumper, and made a huge difference. These lights throw much more usable light. They make the oem led highbeams, low beams, and fogs seem weak. About 80% brighter. It may be due to the color range. This is an excellent upgrade for safety and pleasure.. HUGE DIFFERENCE.

20210830_112530.jpg

20210728_145701.jpg

UtahShooting

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat FX4
Occupation
Real Estate
Using Forscan to enable Bambi mode is a must. Fog lights stay on with high beams!

Then add lights, on a separate switch, until your heart’s content.
Been doing reading on Forscan and it looks like I'm going to need to buy one to enable Bambi mode. Thanks for the info!!!!!

SillyRanger

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT Sport
Occupation
Engineering Technician
What headlights do you have?

Ditch lights are a great thing to have in rural areas. Really lights up the side of the road. My headlights are amazing, but they just can't throw out to the sides like ditch lights can. Here's a shot with just my headlights vs my headlights and pods. (and front light bar, but it doesn't really make a noticeable difference here, it's mostly a spot beam)

Absolutely massive difference in what you can see in your peripherals.

Al6829j.jpg

r3KVDJ8.jpg

And here's how they look from the front (my fogs were not on in the pics)

WqHI8lg.jpg

OP
OP
GTGallop

GTGallop

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.qrz.com
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT 4X4 SOLD - Now 2023 TRD Offroad
Occupation
Program Manager
Well - Been a few months since I posted up and nothing like a real world scenario to teach you what you need... I have done NOTHING that was recommended yet. Just haven't had the time.

But! Out in the "country" recently and trying to navigate the Ranger on a Moonless night I realized how GOOD the front facing lights already are and by contrast how I needed to see immediately next to me and it was pitch black. Thinking about Ditch-Lights up front and again behind the cab on the bed rail. Nothing crazy big. Even low profile is better. I don't want to create a lot of wind noise.

Time to start shopping!

Rhino

First Name
jacob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 SR5 access cab, 98 Civic ej7, 2003 KLX400s
Occupation
professional anime watcher!
Vehicle Showcase
Well - Been a few months since I posted up and nothing like a real world scenario to teach you what you need... I have done NOTHING that was recommended yet. Just haven't had the time.

But! Out in the "country" recently and trying to navigate the Ranger on a Moonless night I realized how GOOD the front facing lights already are and by contrast how I needed to see immediately next to me and it was pitch black. Thinking about Ditch-Lights up front and again behind the cab on the bed rail. Nothing crazy big. Even low profile is better. I don't want to create a lot of wind noise.

Time to start shopping!
buy it all! gotta be cool lookin also right?

Msfitoy

First Name
Sid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger, 2003 MINI Cooper S, 2021 Honda CT125
Occupation
Automotive, Industrial Designer
Vehicle Showcase

Time to start shopping!
Lugzme11.jpg

UtahShooting

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat FX4
Occupation
Real Estate
I frequently drive a 50 mile mountain road here in Utah from 6000 to 10,000 feet. Lots of deer and elk. When I bought my used 2019 FX4 Lariat, I immediately started to research replacing the fogs with super bright LED driving lights. I know they are for off road only but I can toggle them off fast for the rare oncoming traffic. After all, I did the same with my Dodge Ram. I even bought the Ford scan tool just for this, so I could leave brights on with fogs.

After driving that road at night 3-4 times I realized I don't need any more light even with my 50'ish year old eyes. The LED's are crazy bright, particularly on high beams, and factory fogs do a good (not great) job of lighting up sides of road where deer like to ambush us.

If I replace anything on fogs, it'll be a modest lumen upgrade using factory fog/bright cutoff.

Recently installed some Bilstein 5100's and 275/65 18's and after toying with it, I realized aiming your lights is critical and far outweighs adding more lumens, lift or not.

9zero1790

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 super crew fx4 sport
Occupation
air breather
one good flood cube like the rigid d xl is enough for most things esp with the headlights and fog lights. ive noticed in bad weather the color makes a nice difference. having amber / yellow fogs is an improvement to my eyes in rain or fog etc.

OP
OP
GTGallop

GTGallop

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.qrz.com
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT 4X4 SOLD - Now 2023 TRD Offroad
Occupation
Program Manager
What I'd like... Or what I think I'd like is a light like these light cubes that are so popular, but half the heigth. Two LED's side by side. Low profile.

Danager

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Edge
Occupation
Manager
What I'd like... Or what I think I'd like is a light like these light cubes that are so popular, but half the heigth. Two LED's side by side. Low profile.
Diode Dynamics SSC2. They are just as wide and 1/2 the height of the typical 3” pods you see. You may even prefer the SSC1. Several colour, beam pattern, and brightness available for both.

Wes Siler

First Name
Wes
Threads
Reaction score
Website
WesSiler.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger XLT FX4, 2020 Toyota Land Cruiser
Occupation
Writer
Just helped a friend install a pair of ARB Solis 21s on his wife's 4Runner. Have to say im very impressed. 1 lux @ 1100 meters for $500 all in. That's for one spot (driver) and one flood (passenger). That has to be the best value in lighting right now.

Its important to remember that perceived brightness does not equal effective illumination. You need light to get down the road in front of you, not just blow out your foreground. For that reason, avoid all the little pod lights. They're easy to mount, but just don't really help. I'd also encourage you to avoid brands who lie to their customers about the performance of their products. If a brand won't tell you the 1 lux distance, they have something to hide.

The harness ARB provides makes it easy to wire the lights correctly. The provided switch enables/disables, then the lights fire on the high beam stalk.

Msfitoy

First Name
Sid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger, 2003 MINI Cooper S, 2021 Honda CT125
Occupation
Automotive, Industrial Designer
Vehicle Showcase
Just helped a friend install a pair of ARB Solis 21s on his wife's 4Runner. Have to say im very impressed. 1 lux @ 1100 meters for $500 all in. That's for one spot (driver) and one flood (passenger). That has to be the best value in lighting right now.

Its important to remember that perceived brightness does not equal effective illumination. You need light to get down the road in front of you, not just blow out your foreground. For that reason, avoid all the little pod lights. They're easy to mount, but just don't really help. I'd also encourage you to avoid brands who lie to their customers about the performance of their products. If a brand won't tell you the 1 lux distance, they have something to hide.

The harness ARB provides makes it easy to wire the lights correctly. The provided switch enables/disables, then the lights fire on the high beam stalk.
Not sure what you mean by "avoid little pod lights"...Baja, Rigid, DD all make "little" pod lights and has all worked quite well for me...the ones to avoid are cheap Chinese lights that appear bights but have crap reflectors...they do a great job of blinding everyone but doesn't put the light where needed...
Sponsored