Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.qrz.com
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT 4X4 SOLD - Now 2023 TRD Offroad
Occupation
Program Manager
My mantra about the truck is keep it simple and uncomplicated.
I don't buy stuff to put on it for looks.
Form follows Function.

But - I would like to add some lights.

My driving pattern is as such (All Arizona from Bisbee to Flag):
Parked because I WFH - 60%
Day Pavement - 30%
Night Pavement - 20%
Day Off-Road - 9.99%
Night Off-Road - Some shit has to have gone seriously sideways.

Much of the pavement driving is rural though so not as much interstate as some get around here.

My idea / want / need for lights is to be for those occasional times I'm off road at night, in snow, in rain. I don't want them to be like 10" spots on the front. They can be visible but should be unobtrusive. Example - Not putting a huge light bar on the roof. It's overkill.

So what should I look to? Ditch lights? Pencil beams? Upgrade Fogs?
Sponsored

halligan1201

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger
Occupation
Emergency Management
Vehicle Showcase
I'm following this post because I'm debating on changing out my factory "fogs" (they're really more along the line of driving lights from what I can tell) for amber ones (https://www.diodedynamics.com/ss3-led-fog-light-kit-for-2019-2021-ford-ranger.html) because I anticipate mainly needing them for snow and fog, or leaving those so I have them for night driving and adding a separate set of ambers for bad weather. My drive is 20ish miles of wooded country roads at 0430hrs and 1630hrs, so about 50% is on the dark, and about 30% of that is in snow, fog, and rain).

Msfitoy

First Name
Sid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger, 2003 MINI Cooper S, 2021 Honda CT125
Occupation
Automotive, Industrial Designer
Vehicle Showcase

Danager

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Edge
Occupation
Manager
I’ve been back and forth on this for a while too. Weighing the pros and cons and trying not to spend money on something I don’t need. My Lariat has all LED, and it is pretty good.
Nothing beats a good yellow/amber fog light. But why replace a good functioning and useful OEM driving light? I will be adding a set of lights inside the bumper opening. They won’t stick out, they’ll be out of the way of the ACC radar, and are low enough to aim properly to be effective.

I’m fortunate enough to have 6 aux switches pre-wired from the factory. After I get these in, I will assess other lighting “needs”.

D Fresh

Banned
Banned
First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Lariat FX4, '17 FiST, '16 CX-5, '95 YJ
Occupation
Milkman
Look for something to swap into the fog pockets on factory switches.

I'd suggest Baja Designs or Diode Dynamics. Both offer different power, beam, and color options.

I've got some BD Squadron Pros I'm gonna swap in soon. Just deciding which color/beam to use.

Last edited:

halligan1201

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger
Occupation
Emergency Management
Vehicle Showcase
I’ve been back and forth on this for a while too. Weighing the pros and cons and trying not to spend money on something I don’t need. My Lariat has all LED, and it is pretty good.
Nothing beats a good yellow/amber fog light. But why replace a good functioning and useful OEM driving light? I will be adding a set of lights inside the bumper opening. They won’t stick out, they’ll be out of the way of the ACC radar, and are low enough to aim properly to be effective.

I’m fortunate enough to have 6 aux switches pre-wired from the factory. After I get these in, I will assess other lighting “needs”.
I was just coming to the same conclusion. Instead of replacing the driving lights like I have been planning, adding some fog lights. I have been thinking in the small slots in the bumper or actually behind the grill. Let us know what you end up going with.

Danager

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Edge
Occupation
Manager
I was just coming to the same conclusion. Instead of replacing the driving lights like I have been planning, adding some fog lights. I have been thinking in the small slots in the bumper or actually behind the grill. Let us know what you end up going with.
99% sure on the Diode Dynamics SS3 Pro DOT/SAE in yellow.

halligan1201

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger
Occupation
Emergency Management
Vehicle Showcase

Synyster06Gates

First Name
Austin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger
Ditch lights are a great thing to have in rural areas. Really lights up the side of the road. My headlights are amazing, but they just can't throw out to the sides like ditch lights can. Here's a shot with just my headlights vs my headlights and pods. (and front light bar, but it doesn't really make a noticeable difference here, it's mostly a spot beam)

Absolutely massive difference in what you can see in your peripherals.

Al6829j.jpg

r3KVDJ8.jpg

And here's how they look from the front (my fogs were not on in the pics)

WqHI8lg.jpg

SPVparts

Diamond Sponsor
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Raptor
Occupation
Sales
We developed some CLEAN options that look OEM and are for the most part Plug N Play.

Here is a video -

Feel free to reach out to us at info @spvparts.com
Phone -317-93-GOSPV

Website -spvparts.com

Danager

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Edge
Occupation
Manager
I just ordered the SS3 Pro in yellow fog to add to the factory driving lights. Will be working on a mounting solution that fits behind the bumper and doesn’t interfere with the ACC.

Also ordered Lux rock lights. Ready to light this thing up.

Will report back when they are installed.

mgallo13

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 MM Focus ST (sold), 2020 MM Ford Ranger XLT
Occupation
Financial Controller
Vehicle Showcase
got the baja designs squadron fogs in amber, they do a pretty epic job of illuminating the side of the road and actually throw the light pretty far. With my upgraded headlights (AlphaRex LUXX projectors) and the fogs I barely even need to touch my high beams ever.
Sponsored