Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat - 2020 Honda Ridgeline RTL-E
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
I Love the power seats. After four Tacomas, the seats in the Ranger may as well be a Lincoln. Same seats same tech with better resale. Tacoma is so far behind. No remote locking tailgate, no gas struts on the hood, Shallower bed, Still using drum brakes, No Android Auto and SYNC3 beats Entunes buy a lot, Unable to delete Moon roof on higher packages

45,000 posts in a $700 Tuner thread because the drivetrain is awful, Rear end issues abound..... I got rid of the 2016 and here I am.

.Toyota is not stepping up to issues. .They are claiming "they all do that" which says in one sentence:
We are aware of the issues AND we will do nothing about it

JoedOH

First Name
joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger
I Love the power seats. After four Tacomas, the seats in the Ranger may as well be a Lincoln. Same seats same tech with better resale. Tacoma is so far behind. No remote locking tailgate, no gas struts on the hood, Shallower bed, Still using drum brakes, No Android Auto and SYNC3 beats Entunes buy a lot, Unable to delete Moon roof on higher packages

45,000 posts in a $700 Tuner thread because the drivetrain is awful, Rear end issues abound..... I got rid of the 2016 and here I am.

Toyota is not stepping up to issues. .They are claiming "they all do that" which says in one sentence:
We are aware of the issues AND we will do nothing about it
I started with a 2010 Tacoma Access Cab with 2.7, 5 speed and 4x4. For 3 years a got notices about the rear springs, converter and frame problems. Toyota did nothing about it. Oh, almost forgot the clutch from Mexico that slipped that Toyota refused to acknowledge.

Was thinking of a Colorado but the timing of the Ranger got me. In April I sprung for a Ranger Lariat and I love the vehicle.

One of the best features of the Ranger is it's pretty docile in normal driving but if you want to go just hit the accelerator and it transforms into a decent beast. It is the fastest 4 cyl engine I've ever seen but then again I don't get out much anymore.

OP
OP

Ric

First Name
Ric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Accord
I started with a 2010 Tacoma Access Cab with 2.7, 5 speed and 4x4. For 3 years a got notices about the rear springs, converter and frame problems. Toyota did nothing about it. Oh, almost forgot the clutch from Mexico that slipped that Toyota refused to acknowledge.

Was thinking of a Colorado but the timing of the Ranger got me. In April I sprung for a Ranger Lariat and I love the vehicle.

One of the best features of the Ranger is it's pretty docile in normal driving but if you want to go just hit the accelerator and it transforms into a decent beast. It is the fastest 4 cyl engine I've ever seen but then again I don't get out much anymore.
I let my buddy drive my truck. I told him to drive it like he stoled it. He punched it and his eyes went wide. He called me a liar when I told him it was a four banger.

VAMike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat SuperCab
I also thought about the Colorado, but various things like the airbag issues kept me from pulling the trigger. If not the ranger I might have ended up in a heavily modified frontier, but this is better.

SubVet

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
I let my buddy drive my truck. I told him to drive it like he stoled it. He punched it and his eyes went wide. He called me a liar when I told him it was a four banger.
Same experience here. My neighbor has a Tacoma, He was a 35-year Chrysler technician and laughed at me when he saw the 4 Banger, Said I was wasting my money. (He saw me buy three Tacomas over the years).

Thought I was nuts buying a Ford with a 4 Cyl engine, I told him this little 4 Banger can be tuned for over 300 HP....He balked and then.......................

...........I took him for a ride and pinned him back in the seat...He did some research on the "puny" 4 banger EcoBoost and is now a believer. He wants my truck

Cheers
Tom

Last edited:
OP
OP

Ric

First Name
Ric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Accord
The build quality and performance... and Its the best looking Ranger ever.
I immediately was drawn to the looks when I saw it for the first time last October at a car show. I still catch myself admiring it. I have never taken as many pictures of any vehicle as I have of my Ranger.

Hounddog409

First Name
Tod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
Vehicle Showcase
Not a fan of "build quality", My hood is misaligned, Others have bed alignment issues and door alignment issues, tailgate seams are different on both sides, Fit and finish is not very good on these trucks. Initial builds perhaps? No excuse for that, Might be just me so I started a poll

In my case the body shop wanted to realign fenders and bumper to solve the gap issue on the right side that gets wider toward the front, I said no I'll live with it, Its about 1/4" wider on the front than the rear of the hood. Silly stuff that the Japanese have dialed in.
Why would you choose not to have this resolved? Makes no sence.

SubVet

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Why would you choose not to have this resolved? Makes no sense.
I don't want them removing fenders and the front end to close the gap 1/4 " It doesn't bother me especially after reading others with far more ominous issues with fit, Not worth the time and possible screw-ups.

The shop told me they have had more than a few Rangers with factory sloppy fits. Mostly doors and beds. he seemed bewildered about the factory issues, (I posted a poll here to see how widespread the uneven and misaligned body panels are)

Actually, I was in the body shop to have Mud Flaps installed and while I was there I asked about it, When he told me what they would have to do, I decided not worth it. They can create issues of a much higher magnitude. IF they try to tweak the hood they may crack the paint and run from their mistake.

Filed under "pick my fights carefully", I may need them later for something more serious, I never noticed it. My brother did. He is extremely OCD so this would bother him. Me not so much.

Hope I answered your question...Cheers!!

Last edited:

Hounddog409

First Name
Tod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
Vehicle Showcase
I don't want them removing fenders and the front end to close the gap 1/4 " It doesn't bother me especially after reading others with far more ominous issues with fit, Not worth the time and possible screw-ups.

The shop told me they have had more than a few Rangers with factory sloppy fits. Mostly doors and beds. he seemed bewildered about the factory issues, (I posted a poll here to see how widespread the uneven and misaligned body panels are)

Actually, I was in the body shop to have Mud Flaps installed and while I was there I asked about it, When he told me what they would have to do, I decided not worth it. They can create issues of a much higher magnitude. IF they try to tweak the hood they may crack the paint and run from their mistake.

Filed under "pick my fights carefully", I may need them later for something more serious, I never noticed it. My brother did. He is extremely OCD so this would bother him. Me not so much.

Hope I answered your question...Cheers!!
Fixing gaps is common place and nothing for body shops. It's what they do. Nothing bad is going to happen.

I would have it fixed, but that's just me.
Sponsored