What features would a Lincoln version of the Ranger look like?

NTXTremor

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Tremor
Occupation
IT
That is interesting! Thanks for sharing, but even the video's creator said, "When it was working, it actually was a wonderful engine." ? It also did NOT make it onto his "worst engines of all time" list (minute 5:32).

The Olds engine, which had some changes, was used in IMSA and Indy Racing League. I wonder if the production versions suffered the same issues with head gaskets.
Sponsored

Reactions: Doc

db_tanker

First Name
Darrell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger / 2018 Honda Civic EX 5 door
Occupation
Process Professional
You know...there is/was the Mercedes Benz X-class based on the Nissan Navarra / Frontier. The Wiki article actually states that it would be the worlds first "true premium truck" after the failed Blackwood, Mark LT and Escalade EXT trucks.

Thing is, Merc didn't offer it for sale in the US and only lasted 3 years I think getting canned for poor sales.

I think Ford will eventually bump the trim levels to include a Platinum or King Ranch at the top since the sales have been nothing but strong.

paval3

First Name
Val
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger XLT Crewcab & 2003 Mountaineer Premier
I got my 1 year anniversary questionnaire from For the other day. It asked stuff along the lines of what I thought pros and cons were of my Ranger. I told them wished they used better interior plastics that didn't scratch so easily, made a SuperCrew where the rear seat folded flat, and included seat memory positioning buttons! Those are the things they could make standard in a Lincoln version!

JohnnyO

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger STX 4x4
Occupation
Asst. Greenskeeper, Bushwood Country Club
Slightly off topic, but who recalls the Lincoln Blackwood pickup truck? A truly interesting vehicle that was ahead of its time. Also little known is there were 50 Neiman Marcus Edition Blackwoods built. Sadly these trucks are being butchered left and right. It's almost impossible to find a well maintained original at any price. Latinos in 'the hood' really love them. https://www.conceptcarz.com/vehicle/series.aspx?modelID=1437

lincolnnmblackwood2.jpeg
Main problem with the Blackwood was that it only came in 2wd so it was instantly useless for half the country (my half) where it snows.

SkyLord

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Tremor
So, what would they call the Lincoln version of a Ranger? They’ve taken a pretty good stab at aircraft crew member designations already (Aviator/ Navigator). Lincoln’s don’t usually use snake-horse-dinosaur names. Unfortunate but, those are the cards we were dealt. Thoughts?

OP
OP
MCMustang51

MCMustang51

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Ranger XLT
So, what would they call the Lincoln version of a Ranger? They’ve taken a pretty good stab at aircraft crew member designations already (Aviator/ Navigator). Lincoln’s don’t usually use snake-horse-dinosaur names. Unfortunate but, those are the cards we were dealt. Thoughts?
You are right. Honda, GM, and Stellantis have taken the names Pilot, Commodore and Commander. The last two aren't used anymore though I think

P. A. Schilke

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4 Lariat 4x4, 2020 Lincoln Nautilus, 2005 Alfa Motorhome
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Slightly off topic, but who recalls the Lincoln Blackwood pickup truck? A truly interesting vehicle that was ahead of its time. Also little known is there were 50 Neiman Marcus Edition Blackwoods built. Sadly these trucks are being butchered left and right. It's almost impossible to find a well maintained original at any price. Latinos in 'the hood' really love them. https://www.conceptcarz.com/vehicle/series.aspx?modelID=1437

lincolnnmblackwood2.jpeg
Hi Joe,

Tom D was lead on the Blackwood... He outlined the differences to a regular F Series. There were feature contents, interior appointments and NVH improvements but sales were not at all good and the program was cancelled. I drove a few prototypes and was unimpressed as the improvements were driven by the Bean Counters...needed a bit more for the extra $. You might have a brand, Lincoln, that connotes special, but you have to deliver special and the Blackwood failed. Tom is still with us and his pride and joy now is his dream car...a Chevy Corvette.

My takeaway...Blackwood was just a job without engineers with a passion for the product. And it showed. Tom to his credit was full of this passion, but he could not inspire his troops as the Beanies squashed any hope of a worthy product.. JMO...

best,
Phil

P. A. Schilke

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4 Lariat 4x4, 2020 Lincoln Nautilus, 2005 Alfa Motorhome
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase
If FoMoCo decided to try to market another truck under the Lincoln brand, with the Ranger as a base, what would it be like?
The Lincoln would have cool seats....And the God Awful Sync would have been replaces...

Best,
Phil

Progeny2021

Banned
Banned
First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat Super Crew Cab
Occupation
Retired
Hi Joe,

My takeaway...Blackwood was just a job without engineers with a passion for the product. And it showed. Tom to his credit was full of this passion, but he could not inspire his troops as the Beanies squashed any hope of a worthy product.. JMO...

best,
Phil
The Blackwood also had 'Air Ride' rear suspension, not unlike the Escalade. My Marauder also had Air Ride and was trouble free. The Marauder Community is cognizant of its value and promotes retaining the original suspension.

The Blackwood community? Toss the Air Ride at the first sign of trouble and install 22s. :( If I had the funds and space, I would be looking around for a Neiman Marcus Edition. Depicted is the rear seat beverage cooler that was unique to the Neiman Marcus Edition.

150530.jpeg

Jbroke

First Name
Jimmy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat 2WD
Occupation
Sports
a ranger with a radiator looking grille for an extra $7-10k extra cause of the "brand name"

Progeny2021

Banned
Banned
First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat Super Crew Cab
Occupation
Retired
a ranger with a radiator looking grille for an extra $7-10k extra cause of the "brand name"
Surely you recall the original Citroen 'Picasso'?!?! Special Order only for an extra $10k........

07xc3qfhgq911.jpeg
Sponsored