Sponsored

What did you do to your Ranger today?

Zrider

Well-Known Member
First Name
Trevor
Joined
Jan 19, 2024
Threads
10
Messages
76
Reaction score
343
Location
Peoria, Il
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger
Occupation
Electrical Design Engineer
My 'incident' actually happened a week ago. Day after 'Trash Day', someone threw out a BBQ grill and a the grating from the side burner got left in the street. Not to worry, my rear tire found it! I'll either be patching the tire or getting a new one when I take it in later this week for an oil change.
 

brendankelly

Member
First Name
brendan
Joined
Jul 15, 2020
Threads
3
Messages
17
Reaction score
73
Location
Baltimore
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger
Vehicle Showcase
1
Haven't posted on this thread/forum in a long time. Thought I'd drop an update cause I love reading what everyone else is doing.

About 2,500 miles ago I bought and loaded up the Ford Performance 91+ tune and have loved it so far. I run it on 93 and I could definitely feel the truck wake up, especially after sizing up to 33"s. Really wanted to go with the Livernois tune because I've heard it recalibrates the transmission to not skip gears, which I f'ing hate. Other than that I am very happy with it so far.

Then about 1,500 miles ago I put on the MBRP 3" catback exhaust. It's not too loud but its definitely a step up from stock; have had a great experience with it so far. I have done two 500 mile trips with no droning issues at all.
 

9zero1790

Well-Known Member
First Name
Mark
Joined
Nov 29, 2021
Threads
50
Messages
7,143
Reaction score
24,329
Location
DFW Texas
Vehicle(s)
21 super crew fx4 sport
Occupation
air breather
Haven't posted on this thread/forum in a long time. Thought I'd drop an update cause I love reading what everyone else is doing.

About 2,500 miles ago I bought and loaded up the Ford Performance 91+ tune and have loved it so far. I run it on 93 and I could definitely feel the truck wake up, especially after sizing up to 33"s. Really wanted to go with the Livernois tune because I've heard it recalibrates the transmission to not skip gears, which I f'ing hate. Other than that I am very happy with it so far.

Then about 1,500 miles ago I put on the MBRP 3" catback exhaust. It's not too loud but its definitely a step up from stock; have had a great experience with it so far. I have done two 500 mile trips with no droning issues at all.
Hey brendan, with the ford performance pack tune if you reset the tire size (revs per mile) and then have the transmission to a re learn with the larger tires on it will improve things a lot. it will still skip gears most likely but in mine it now goes to second gear every time and will skip third, then hit all the others. after updating the size and relearn i dont feel like i lost any go power at all. to be fair my new wheels and tires are a bit lighter than the stock wheels and old tires. but i figure the height traded for less weight was about even.
 

RedDakooter05

Well-Known Member
Joined
Sep 17, 2021
Threads
7
Messages
2,770
Reaction score
9,552
Location
Illinois
Vehicle(s)
2024 Nissan Frontier S 4x4
Haven't posted on this thread/forum in a long time. Thought I'd drop an update cause I love reading what everyone else is doing.

About 2,500 miles ago I bought and loaded up the Ford Performance 91+ tune and have loved it so far. I run it on 93 and I could definitely feel the truck wake up, especially after sizing up to 33"s. Really wanted to go with the Livernois tune because I've heard it recalibrates the transmission to not skip gears, which I f'ing hate. Other than that I am very happy with it so far.

Then about 1,500 miles ago I put on the MBRP 3" catback exhaust. It's not too loud but its definitely a step up from stock; have had a great experience with it so far. I have done two 500 mile trips with no droning issues at all.
You can disable/halt adaptive shift strategies via forscan.

It will still skip gears during hard pulls but daily driving it'll basically become a 9spsd (2nd gear is a rarity).

Not the same as a tune but works for me. Behaves better in stop n go traffic.
 
Last edited:


brendankelly

Member
First Name
brendan
Joined
Jul 15, 2020
Threads
3
Messages
17
Reaction score
73
Location
Baltimore
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger
Vehicle Showcase
1
Hey brendan, with the ford performance pack tune if you reset the tire size (revs per mile) and then have the transmission to a re learn with the larger tires on it will improve things a lot. it will still skip gears most likely but in mine it now goes to second gear every time and will skip third, then hit all the others. after updating the size and relearn i dont feel like i lost any go power at all. to be fair my new wheels and tires are a bit lighter than the stock wheels and old tires. but i figure the height traded for less weight was about even.
Hey, thanks a lot. Is this any different than the tire size setting? I adjusted that for the 33''s (285/70/17) and didn't really see a change. That was also right after programming almost 8 months ago; may try to run the scan again.
 

brendankelly

Member
First Name
brendan
Joined
Jul 15, 2020
Threads
3
Messages
17
Reaction score
73
Location
Baltimore
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger
Vehicle Showcase
1
You can disable/halt adaptive shift strategies via forscan.

It will still skip gears during hard pulls but daily driving it'll basically become a 9spsd (2nd gear is a rarity).

Not the same as a tune but works for me. Behaves better in stop n go traffic.

Definitely going to give this a shot since around 3/4 of my everyday driving is through my city. Thanks a lot!
 
Last edited:

9zero1790

Well-Known Member
First Name
Mark
Joined
Nov 29, 2021
Threads
50
Messages
7,143
Reaction score
24,329
Location
DFW Texas
Vehicle(s)
21 super crew fx4 sport
Occupation
air breather
Hey, thanks a lot. Is this any different than the tire size setting? I adjusted that for the 33''s (285/70/17) and didn't really see a change. That was also right after programming almost 8 months ago; may try to run the scan again.
it may be different after you have the transmission do the re learn. basically what happens is the computer / transmission will remember how you drive in terms of gears, speed, rpm, shift points etc. so with taller tires the rpm and shifts etc. will change. so making the transmission learn with the new setup the transmission will learn the new normal and perform better.
 

Jhbryaniv

Well-Known Member
First Name
John
Joined
Sep 19, 2022
Threads
5
Messages
2,788
Reaction score
7,463
Location
Colorado
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ranger Tremor
Vehicle Showcase
1
Is it time for a new tailgate strut assist?? Lots of oil collecting on the bottom, it still works. I may be very sad if it just gives out. ? its about 3 years old

20240424_132029.jpg
I bet if it fails you couldn't open or close your tailgate, weakling.

but your tranny will appreciate it and not fail on you.
 

Cabose-1

Well-Known Member
First Name
Eli
Joined
Jan 19, 2021
Threads
9
Messages
2,021
Reaction score
7,665
Location
Texas
Vehicle(s)
2024 Ranger XLT, 4x2, Advance Tow, E-Locker
Occupation
Student
I bet if it fails you couldn't open or close your tailgate, weakling.

but your tranny will appreciate it and not fail on you.
Due to the bed height defect, i have become strong lifting things up into the bed! ? ?
 

Jhbryaniv

Well-Known Member
First Name
John
Joined
Sep 19, 2022
Threads
5
Messages
2,788
Reaction score
7,463
Location
Colorado
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ranger Tremor
Vehicle Showcase
1
Due to the bed height defect, i have become strong lifting things up into the bed! ? ?
I doubt that, these trucks are not for truck things. between the bed height, the defective tranny and the lack of a manual transmission I am surprised your truck hasn't driven itself into a lake.
 

Cabose-1

Well-Known Member
First Name
Eli
Joined
Jan 19, 2021
Threads
9
Messages
2,021
Reaction score
7,665
Location
Texas
Vehicle(s)
2024 Ranger XLT, 4x2, Advance Tow, E-Locker
Occupation
Student
I doubt that, these trucks are not for truck things. between the bed height, the defective tranny and the lack of a manual transmission I am surprised your truck hasn't driven itself into a lake.
Do not forget, gas in oil, clicking from ac blend doors, fan blade wiring getting cut!! Thats it, i dont use 303 graphene either, i am done for :(
 

Jhbryaniv

Well-Known Member
First Name
John
Joined
Sep 19, 2022
Threads
5
Messages
2,788
Reaction score
7,463
Location
Colorado
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ranger Tremor
Vehicle Showcase
1
In an effort to improve my trucks horsie powers I made some changes in forscan today.

enabled the road sign reading thing on the dash, made the chimes only come from the dash not the speakers, and tried to change some colors in the system . . . some of the colors changed one didn't (the door ajar border color).

should increase my horsie powers up by at least 37 horses.
 

Jhbryaniv

Well-Known Member
First Name
John
Joined
Sep 19, 2022
Threads
5
Messages
2,788
Reaction score
7,463
Location
Colorado
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ranger Tremor
Vehicle Showcase
1
Do not forget, gas in oil, clicking from ac blend doors, fan blade wiring getting cut!! Thats it, i dont use 303 graphene either, i am done for :(
holy heck my good sir. that is unbelievable.

You should definitely trade that truck in for a tacoma. they are super reliable you know. and for only ~20k more than a ranger tremor you could get a truck that is as capable.
Sponsored

 
 








Top