Sponsored

What did you do to your Ranger today?

Chris M

Well-Known Member
First Name
Chris
Joined
Jun 11, 2020
Threads
22
Messages
4,668
Reaction score
20,627
Location
Surprise, AZ
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger XLT Sport 4X4
Occupation
Security Supervisor
Hopefully its just a dead battery and you're covered under warranty. Just in time if it is. :whew:
For real.

I just bought 2 of these for our vehicles because I just KNOW our next battery failures will fall outside of warranty and I don't want to have to rely on people I don't know for a jumpstart:

https://www.autowit.com/autowit-supercap2-jump-starter/

I hope to never have to use them but I'm ok with having them for insurance. Just didn't like the idea of the lithium-ion batteries inside our vehicles in 110* + heat.

And yes...I DO have Duracell batteries in my Maglite. I don't like that either and will be looking for an alternative. Any suggestions and real-world experience from you guys is deeply appreciated.
Sponsored

 

Venom_z89

Well-Known Member
First Name
Edson
Joined
Apr 16, 2021
Threads
3
Messages
512
Reaction score
1,830
Location
So Cal
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger fx4
Occupation
Forklift technician
took my lunch break at home and found my grill waiting for me. luckily had a ton of protection on it because fed ex beat that box to shit. Also stage3 said icon has my leaf springs delayed until November. ugh

20220726_125719.jpg
 
Last edited:

AzScorpion

Moderator
First Name
Dave
Joined
Jul 25, 2019
Threads
342
Messages
27,112
Reaction score
137,222
Location
Back Home In AZ!
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
Retired...Full Time Slacker
For real.

I just bought 2 of these for our vehicles because I just KNOW our next battery failures will fall outside of warranty and I don't want to have to rely on people I don't know for a jumpstart:

https://www.autowit.com/autowit-supercap2-jump-starter/

I hope to never have to use them but I'm ok with having them for insurance. Just didn't like the idea of the lithium-ion batteries inside our vehicles in 110* + heat.

And yes...I DO have Duracell batteries in my Maglite. I don't like that either and will be looking for an alternative. Any suggestions and real-world experience from you guys is deeply appreciated.
I bought one similar back in January and keep it under the rear seat. I set a reminder on my phone to check and see if it needs recharging every 3 months. Mine was rated up to 149 degrees so hopefully that's enough here. lol Like you said better to have it and not need it then need it and not have it. :wink:

https://www.audew.com/Audew-2000A-P...-Engines-with-LCD-Power-Display-p-100058.html
 

Chris M

Well-Known Member
First Name
Chris
Joined
Jun 11, 2020
Threads
22
Messages
4,668
Reaction score
20,627
Location
Surprise, AZ
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger XLT Sport 4X4
Occupation
Security Supervisor
I bought one similar back in January and keep it under the rear seat. I set a reminder on my phone to check and see if it needs recharging every 3 months. Mine was rated up to 149 degrees so hopefully that's enough here. lol Like you said better to have it and not need it then need it and not have it. :wink:

https://www.audew.com/Audew-2000A-P...-Engines-with-LCD-Power-Display-p-100058.html
So these Autowit's don't charge...until you hook them to the "dead" battery. So I supposedly don't have to keep an eye on them. They only take minutes to draw enough electricity into the capacitors to jump the battery. That should be enough to get us to somewhere we can buy a new replacement battery.

We'll see how they fare.
 

Big Blue

Well-Known Member
First Name
Lee
Joined
May 5, 2020
Threads
16
Messages
3,942
Reaction score
9,420
Location
Wisconsin
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT FX4 Supercrew lighting blue
Occupation
Retired mechanical designer
Hopefully its just a dead battery and you're covered under warranty. Just in time if it is. :whew:
Very sad day seeing Big Blue being hauled away on a flat bed. At least a jump box got him started so he could drive up on his own power. Got a 9:30 appointment with the dealer tomorrow morning. Think its the first time he's been away overnight.

On a side note the tow truck driver was really impressed and loved the Lightening Blue color.
 


OFC Ranger

Well-Known Member
First Name
Jack
Joined
Aug 3, 2020
Threads
297
Messages
5,019
Reaction score
13,937
Location
Georgia
Vehicle(s)
ZR2
And the upgrades start to come together...

Old vs. New Design.

It is 3/4 particle board that I coat in a woodfiller/water mix, then sand, prime, and herculined. Pretty rock solid. Photos make it seem like there is some discoloration, but the finish has come out pristine. I'll be capping all the exposed joints and edges with angled aluminum which will also be herculined.

IMG_20220527_201659.webp


100_0018.webp


100_0019.webp

a4be7781c08deee7d45f718825231002.jpg


100_0020.JPG



I think I may be fanatical enough to take all those one way diodes between the terminals and coat them in orange and purple to match the wiring... teee heeeee Ahahahahah MUAHAHAHAH AHHHH!

walter-crazy.gif
 

Big Blue

Well-Known Member
First Name
Lee
Joined
May 5, 2020
Threads
16
Messages
3,942
Reaction score
9,420
Location
Wisconsin
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT FX4 Supercrew lighting blue
Occupation
Retired mechanical designer
So these Autowit's don't charge...until you hook them to the "dead" battery. So I supposedly don't have to keep an eye on them. They only take minutes to draw enough electricity into the capacitors to jump the battery. That should be enough to get us to somewhere we can buy a new replacement battery.

We'll see how they fare.
So how "dead" can the battery be and still charge the caps enough to start the truck? Sounds interesting but the amps have to come from somewhere.
 

AzScorpion

Moderator
First Name
Dave
Joined
Jul 25, 2019
Threads
342
Messages
27,112
Reaction score
137,222
Location
Back Home In AZ!
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
Retired...Full Time Slacker
So how "dead" can the battery be and still charge the caps enough to start the truck? Sounds interesting but the amps have to come from somewhere.
I was wondering the same then searched on Youtube and found this video.

 

Venom_z89

Well-Known Member
First Name
Edson
Joined
Apr 16, 2021
Threads
3
Messages
512
Reaction score
1,830
Location
So Cal
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger fx4
Occupation
Forklift technician
I was wondering the same then searched on Youtube and found this video.

that's pretty cool matched with one of those dashboard solar battery maintainer would probably come in handy
 

AzScorpion

Moderator
First Name
Dave
Joined
Jul 25, 2019
Threads
342
Messages
27,112
Reaction score
137,222
Location
Back Home In AZ!
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
Retired...Full Time Slacker
that's pretty cool matched with one of those dashboard solar battery maintainer would probably come in handy
That's a good idea! I never knew about these until Chis posted it or I might have bought one. I'll wait and see how mine works out (hopefully I never need it) and maybe get one of these as a backup. So far mine has held a full charge at 100% since January so hoping it's a good one too.
 

Venom_z89

Well-Known Member
First Name
Edson
Joined
Apr 16, 2021
Threads
3
Messages
512
Reaction score
1,830
Location
So Cal
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger fx4
Occupation
Forklift technician
That's a good idea! I never knew about these until Chis posted it or I might have bought one. I'll wait and see how mine works out (hopefully I never need it) and maybe get one of these as a backup. So far mine has held a full charge at 100% since January so hoping it's a good one too.
I wonder if updates are causing some softwares or accessories to cause a sort of parasitic draw on batteries. I have yet to have any battery issues going on nearly 3 years with my ranger battery. knock on wood
 

AZ_Tremor

Well-Known Member
First Name
Angelito
Joined
May 30, 2022
Threads
8
Messages
88
Reaction score
252
Location
Cave Creek AZ
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Ranger XLT Tremor
Occupation
Field engineer
I like the new stance! I will be curious what 285 wide look like with the wheel spacers.
Are you mounting the new tires to factory tremor rims? I thought about getting 1" wheel spacers.
Yes my plan right now is to keep the tremor wheels..
 

DukeCanBuildit

Well-Known Member
First Name
Duke
Joined
Jul 27, 2020
Threads
66
Messages
8,802
Reaction score
42,033
Location
Here
Vehicle(s)
XLT
Very sad day seeing Big Blue being hauled away on a flat bed. At least a jump box got him started so he could drive up on his own power. Got a 9:30 appointment with the dealer tomorrow morning. Think its the first time he's been away overnight.

On a side note the tow truck driver was really impressed and loved the Lightening Blue color.
It’s okay if you cried a bit. I did when the same thing happened to me. ?

3AAE62FE-90EF-4918-B758-F39475EF2EF0.jpeg
 

AzScorpion

Moderator
First Name
Dave
Joined
Jul 25, 2019
Threads
342
Messages
27,112
Reaction score
137,222
Location
Back Home In AZ!
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
Retired...Full Time Slacker
I wonder if updates are causing some softwares or accessories to cause a sort of parasitic draw on batteries. I have yet to have any battery issues going on nearly 3 years with my ranger battery. knock on wood
You're lucky but I'd just keep an eye on it and test it once in a while now that it's 3 years old. I think mine was a combo between our high heat here and I really don't drive long distances so the battery never really gets a chance to fully charge. Since using the battery maintainer 3-4 days a week mine has been fine. Knocks on (head) wood too. ?
Sponsored

 
 








Top