Sponsored

What did you do to your Ranger today?

Titchadesh

Well-Known Member
First Name
Cody
Joined
Jan 5, 2022
Threads
3
Messages
90
Reaction score
459
Location
Utah
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat FX4
Occupation
Aerospace Master Scheduler
Driver's side front eye bushing on the rear leaf spring was beginning to fail, so decided to upgrade both leaf springs, and replace the rear shock assemblies and bump stops while I was down there. Went with ICON's multi-rate leaf pack, 2.0 VS shocks and bump stop kit. The OE mono leafs had a 1.5" block underneath it (not my choice, I bought this '19 model used 5 years ago) and since I drive on LT295 55R20's where my tires are already ~33 inch diameter, I wanted to maintain my rear lift and so went with Option 1 for the leaf configuration

IMG_7507.webp


This is how the driver's side front eye looked before the install -- the eye was ovaled and rubber visible and flaking off. I think it's obvious that the 1.5" block under the mono-leaf gives it more lateral pressure than it can safely handle over a long period of time, and so I went with the ICON multi-rate leaf pack so that I could maintain my current lift, but also get rid of the block and prevent this type of failure again:

IMG_7405.webp


Once I took the weight off the rear axle, the bushing and eye just essentially crumbled. Yes -- not safe at all. I had new tires put on just a few weeks ago, so that whole assembly must have hit its breaking point since then. I'm very glad to catch this and fix it before experiencing failure while driving. I also replaced the bolt and nut securing it in case it was compromised

IMG_7504.webp


By far the most difficult part of the install was the removal of the old hardware. I thought I could get this entire job done in 3 hours, but actually ended up taking 12 hours non stop. The old bolts in the shock assemblies and U-Bolts were extremely difficult to loosen and remove. That and just the general caution of working on a vehicle with jack stands leads you to take your time and not go to town on stuck hardware.

Since the ICON leaf springs come with a new forward eye bushing but not the rear (they assume you'll reuse the OE rubber bushings) and since the rubber in the forward eye on my old spring was crumbling, I thought I'd take the opportunity to put new polyurethane rear bushings from SuperPro in to have a safer, longer-lasting ride

6e076fa87016b4b78ee7f361fb7bc0e7.jpg.webp


I'm really happy with how the install eventually turned out -- it looks great and it feels great. Such a massive improvement in handling these bumpy Utah roads. Pictured below before I installed the bump stops.

Just a huge thank you to this forum for leading me in the right direction on replacement options and installation tips. I scoured for every detail I could find and the forum delivered.

IMG_7522.webp
 
Last edited:

highway

Well-Known Member
First Name
steve
Joined
Aug 16, 2025
Threads
21
Messages
72
Reaction score
199
Location
kentucky
Vehicle(s)
2020 ford ranger xlt
Installed some iron bison running boards
IMG_0039.webp
 

DukeCanBuildit

Well-Known Member
First Name
Duke
Joined
Jul 27, 2020
Threads
66
Messages
8,802
Reaction score
42,033
Location
Here
Vehicle(s)
XLT
I see you pulled the trigger on these. Looking good Steve!

Are the mounting points in the rocker such that you could mix these up driver side to passenger side? I only ask because they look like legit rock sliders, but backwards if you know what I mean.
 


highway

Well-Known Member
First Name
steve
Joined
Aug 16, 2025
Threads
21
Messages
72
Reaction score
199
Location
kentucky
Vehicle(s)
2020 ford ranger xlt
I see you pulled the trigger on these. Looking good Steve!

Are the mounting points in the rocker such that you could mix these up driver side to passenger side? I only ask because they look like legit rock sliders, but backwards if you know what I mean.
Don’t think so bags were color coded for each side and bars labeled
 

Counting Buck

Well-Known Member
First Name
Chris
Joined
Mar 21, 2022
Threads
1
Messages
83
Reaction score
274
Location
Dallas
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Ranger Lariat Tremor
Occupation
Father | Hunter | Accountant
In the last 2 weeks I:
1. installed killmat and speaker foam in the doors. great improvement in sound/audio quality. outside noise difference is minimal without doing floor/headliner. Worth it at this point to me, will probably do the rest later.
2. put a high quality ceramic tint on the windows.
3. bought an Ottocast wireless android auto/carplay device so I no longer have to plug my phone in.
 

highway

Well-Known Member
First Name
steve
Joined
Aug 16, 2025
Threads
21
Messages
72
Reaction score
199
Location
kentucky
Vehicle(s)
2020 ford ranger xlt
Installed the raptor grill/ lights , used the XLT surround. Also put on a screen protector for the display.

IMG_0041.webp
 

dozxab

Well-Known Member
First Name
Dave
Joined
Sep 14, 2024
Threads
17
Messages
663
Reaction score
2,188
Location
Prescott AZ
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Ranger XLT FX4, 2014 Jeep Wrangler JK
Occupation
Retired
Installed the raptor grill/ lights , used the XLT surround. Also put on a screen protector for the display.

IMG_0041.webp
I did the grill and the screen protector. Screen protector makes a world of difference! SO much easier to see the screen on sunny days. We have a lot of those here in AZ.
 

underwhelmed

Well-Known Member
Joined
Jan 29, 2023
Threads
27
Messages
1,134
Reaction score
6,426
Location
GSMs
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger SC XLT FX4, 1998 Jeep Cherokee XJ
Occupation
Retired Military
Vehicle Showcase
1
I dropped it off Wednesday for the infamous dash pull HVAC fix. The very reason I bought my extended warranty for. That ESP has more than paid for itself with this and the drive shaft and rear ring/pinion replacement. Now I’ve only got 8k miles left so if the transmission is going to implode it better do it in the next 8k damn it!
 

IdahoRanger

Well-Known Member
First Name
Steve
Joined
Sep 26, 2019
Threads
14
Messages
4,527
Reaction score
22,588
Location
Idaho
Vehicle(s)
2019 Lariat SuperCrew FX4
Occupation
RETIRED
I dropped it off Wednesday for the infamous dash pull HVAC fix. The very reason I bought my extended warranty for. That ESP has more than paid for itself with this and the drive shaft and rear ring/pinion replacement. Now I’ve only got 8k miles left so if the transmission is going to implode it better do it in the next 8k damn it!
Might be worth paying to have them do the transmission TSB before warranty expires. I plan on having the TSB done before expiration of my extended warranty even if I have to pay and nothing is found.
 

Dr. Zaius

Well-Known Member
First Name
Dennis
Joined
Dec 20, 2019
Threads
82
Messages
7,130
Reaction score
43,626
Location
Living The Dream
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4
Might be worth paying to have them do the transmission TSB before warranty expires. I plan on having the TSB done before expiration of my extended warranty even if I have to pay and nothing is found.
What would that cost be though??

The TSB is basically take it all the way apart and put it back together with new parts.

A new updated transmission is $2500 with core.
 

IdahoRanger

Well-Known Member
First Name
Steve
Joined
Sep 26, 2019
Threads
14
Messages
4,527
Reaction score
22,588
Location
Idaho
Vehicle(s)
2019 Lariat SuperCrew FX4
Occupation
RETIRED
What would that cost be though??

The TSB is basically take it all the way apart and put it back together with new parts.

A new updated transmission is $2500 with core.
From what I understand they now have a way of testing the transmission and only charge around $189 to do it. For me that will be a good investment.
 

Dr. Zaius

Well-Known Member
First Name
Dennis
Joined
Dec 20, 2019
Threads
82
Messages
7,130
Reaction score
43,626
Location
Living The Dream
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4
From what I understand they now have a way of testing the transmission and only charge around $189 to do it. For me that will be a good investment.
My mistake.

I thought you meant perform the full TSB teardown, which would be quite expensive.

Mine is going in next week for the TSB test and the HVAC issue.

I have a video of the temp set at 70, Dual turned off, and getting 72 degrees air on the driver side and 117 degree air on the passenger side.

If they come back for both with No Problem Found, I'm done.
Sponsored

 
 








Top