Went to colder spark plugs.........and....

GTGallop

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.qrz.com
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT 4X4 SOLD - Now 2023 TRD Offroad
Occupation
Program Manager
Am I nuts for thinking we had 100k mile platinum plugs in these trucks?
Sponsored

Dgc333

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Ranger Lariat
Occupation
Engineer
You are correct the owners manual recommends 100k plug change. Not sure you can really expect optimum performance and mileage to 100k but the engine will certainly run fine. A co-worker of mine ran the plugs in his Tundra to 275k miles. He brought them in. There was no visible center electrode it was worn down below the edge of the insulator. The ground electrodes were worn back to the bend. He thought the truck was running just fine but it was quite dramatic the improvement with new plugs.

BTW, the factory plugs are iridium not platinum. Iridium is more durable than platinum.

GTGallop

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.qrz.com
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT 4X4 SOLD - Now 2023 TRD Offroad
Occupation
Program Manager
BTW, the factory plugs are iridium not platinum. Iridium is more durable than platinum.
I knew it was Expensive-ium. Just couldn't remember the metal. TKS!

Superdannyboy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT Sport Appearance Package
So do I loosen this nut on each one, then I'm able to move the assembly?
PXL_20220121_150855056.MP~2.jpg

RangerPNW

First Name
Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4
Occupation
Project Manager
So do I loosen this nut on each one, then I'm able to move the assembly?
PXL_20220121_150855056.MP~2.jpg
From what I remember on my Focus ST, yeah you undo that bolt and the coil pack pops right off

Langwilliams

First Name
Langley
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT, 2014 Harley Street Glide
Occupation
Mail Carrier (retired) Navy Vet
That's what they say but you have people doing 3K oil changes too.

I've heard/read running an aftermarket tune shortens the life of the plugs. I'm tempted to pull one when I hit 30K this spring/summer just to look but now I'm thinking I'll wait until I notice a change in MPG or a stumble in the idle.

Dgc333

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Ranger Lariat
Occupation
Engineer
That's what they say but you have people doing 3K oil changes too.

I've heard/read running an aftermarket tune shortens the life of the plugs. I'm tempted to pull one when I hit 30K this spring/summer just to look but now I'm thinking I'll wait until I notice a change in MPG or a stumble in the idle.
I had 58k on my 17 Ecoboost Mustang on the original plugs with the FP tune. I had pulled the plugs a little over 50k and they looked good, checked the gap and put them back in.

seanellaz

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger XLT CrewCab Fx4
Occupation
Healthcare
Vehicle Showcase
I'm not sure if this should be in the "Issues..." forum or here, but I found it interesting.

42,000+ miles on my '20 Ranger FX4 Lariat and the vast majority of it has been with an Eibach leveling kit, 265/70/18 Toyo Open Country AT3 tires, and Ford Performance tuner. Fuel mileage had been great but had dropped a little over the last 2 months,.... I was also driving short distances and less over the interstates like I do from March to October tho. I also felt that the truck just wasn't that fast and impressive like I'd remembered when I first bought it and especially like I remembered when I installed the Tuner.

I thought I'd try the colder NGK-95822 spark plugs, got them in finally, and we went to install them. What we found on the old spark plugs was that 2 of the 4 were definitely tightened past torque specs, and 2 of 4 had what I'd call a "flash over" where they looked burned via electricity on the porcelain portion like the boots possibly weren't tight. They weren't the 2 tight or 2 correctly torqued that I remember, so no correlation there, and the new spark plugs have antiseize and are torqued to ford's specs.

IMMEDIATELY upon leaving, the truck felt like I'd remembered when I first tuned it and my MPG's have been slowly climbing back up.

Guessing I'll see if I can get replacement boots for the coil packs and plan to replace them and these colder plugs around another 30k miles or so to be safe.
I always clean then Lube the boots w/ Silicon grease, thin coat rubbed inside and out. Makes them last longer, easier to remove, and helps keep the seal better than new. Smart you used antiseize on threads!

NvrFinished

First Name
Shea
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 XLT 4x4 Rapid Red
I always clean then Lube the boots w/ Silicon grease, thin coat rubbed inside and out. Makes them last longer, easier to remove, and helps keep the seal better than new. Smart you used antiseize on threads!
It's important to be careful when using anti-seize, particularly when used on aluminum heads. The clamping load increases and is much greater when torqued to factory specs.

Langwilliams

First Name
Langley
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT, 2014 Harley Street Glide
Occupation
Mail Carrier (retired) Navy Vet
Smart you used antiseize on threads!
I was looking for references to using it. It's not mentioned in any thread I read. I was thinking the irradiated plugs didn't need it.

KJRR

First Name
KJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Ford Ranger, '14 Ford Edge, '74 VW Type 181
Occupation
Professional Curmudgeon
I've learned to pull the plugs before 20k miles and coat with anti-seize. Had some just about freeze to the head in a Chrysler T&C and they aren't easy to reach in a V6 to start.
At 75k when i went to check them, they were stuck. Took a week of PB Blaster and regular driving cycles and got them loose without stripping. Put the new ones in without issue. Never did have to get them out again.
Never used a torque wrench on plugs, never stripped one or had one come loose. Just don't overtighten.
Sponsored