Weird rattle. Transmission?

2.7EcoBoost

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4 Screw
I thought I saw something similar posted before, but I can't find it.....I am getting a rattle/clicking type noise when putting the truck into park or sometimes when it's lugging right before it down shifts. Low speed of course. I also noticed it in 4WD Low when putting the truck into reverse and then in Park. It almost sounds like a pump type rattle build up and then it's gone. I really noticed it when putting the truck in Park in a bank teller lane where I had walls on both sides. I thought I heard this a good while ago, but figured it was normal. Now I am not so sure? Anyone else getting this?
Sponsored

Last edited:

GitRDone

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 XLT
Occupation
Real estate management
I would try light tapping with a rubber hammer under the truck to see if you can reproduce the rattle. Check especially exhaust and heat shields which can collect gravel or make contact with body. You might also run the truck and shift back and forth between P D R ( foot firmly on brake) while someone checks out sound from below.

JTDay

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mazdaspeed3, M3
Occupation
EHS
Does it sound like it comes from under the car or from the engine bay? My HPFP makes some rattling noises when there are big changes in commanded fuel pressure. Pretty sure I've noticed it coming out of park on cold starts.

OP
OP

2.7EcoBoost

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4 Screw
Man, I would almost liken it to the clicking type noise when engaging 4 low. Like something is lining up. I have noticed it a while ago when it was nice and I had windows down as I was coasting to a stop, say the 4-3, 2-1 or whatever down shift just before stopping. Like click,click,click,click (rapidly, not very loud)...shift. I figured it was normal, something electronic in the transmission lining something up etc. But, whether coincidental or not, I've noticed it more of late and especially last night as I was at the ATM and it seemed louder, probably just the walls magnifying it. After doing some searching I couldn't find anything so decided to see if it was in fact "normal". I'll have to get on the ground when it's warmer and give a good listen while someone shifts. I thought maybe turbo waste gate or something potentially and I was just noticing it on shifts, but....IDK???

P. A. Schilke

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4 Lariat 4x4, 2020 Lincoln Nautilus, 2005 Alfa Motorhome
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Man, I would almost liken it to the clicking type noise when engaging 4 low. Like something is lining up. I have noticed it a while ago when it was nice and I had windows down as I was coasting to a stop, say the 4-3, 2-1 or whatever down shift just before stopping. Like click,click,click,click (rapidly, not very loud)...shift. I figured it was normal, something electronic in the transmission lining something up etc. But, whether coincidental or not, I've noticed it more of late and especially last night as I was at the ATM and it seemed louder, probably just the walls magnifying it. After doing some searching I couldn't find anything so decided to see if it was in fact "normal". I'll have to get on the ground when it's warmer and give a good listen while someone shifts. I thought maybe turbo waste gate or something potentially and I was just noticing it on shifts, but....IDK???
Hi 2.7

Turbo boost actuator rod would be my guess.

best,
Phil Schilke
Ranger Vehicle Engineering
Ford Motor Co. Retired

Jrel209

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XLT crew cab
there is a TSB and an SSM for transmission whine noise. I'm not sure if thats what you recall being talked about before.
not to hijack, but i have that whine..... whats the tsb so i can look more into. I legit thought the whine was the turbo lol

OP
OP

2.7EcoBoost

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4 Screw
Hi 2.7

Turbo boost actuator rod would be my guess.

best,
Phil Schilke
Ranger Vehicle Engineering
Ford Motor Co. Retired
As in, it's normal? Or you think it's loose or bad? I will have to get under it, but it's gonna need to be over 30*....???

P. A. Schilke

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4 Lariat 4x4, 2020 Lincoln Nautilus, 2005 Alfa Motorhome
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase
As in, it's normal? Or you think it's loose or bad? I will have to get under it, but it's gonna need to be over 30*....???
Hi 2.7,

Yep...normal...I believe there is a service notice on it
Sponsored