We’re Off! Arizona - Colorado - South Dakota - Colorado - Utah and Back.

OP
OP
AzScorpion

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
Dave, I presume you'll be going into the Badlands through the west entrance. When you go thru and come out the east entrance close to I-90 there's a Minuteman Silo you can look at. Fake missile of course. LMAO Interesting to see though!
Thanks Brian I saw the signs for the Silo but it was early and I'm not even sure if it was open yet. I actually went in through the east entrance and drove it backwards. This way I came out at Wall Drug and didn't have to backtrack 30 miles to get home. Plus it was less crowded doing it this way and we had several lookouts either to ourself or with only a few others. Once we got to about the half way point the lots were getting crowded but still not to bad at all.

OP
OP
AzScorpion

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
We went to the Badlands National Park today and it was a really great day. It's almost like a mini Grand Canyon in a way but with different formations. It's really amazing how these were formed and how the look of them changes from every different angle. I would've loved to see them at either sunrise or sunset but we're staying in Custer which is 102 miles from there so sunrise was definitely out of the question. lol

Bob @Bob902 you're going to have a great time when you get there later this week. A couple things to keep in mind is try and get there early as there's no shade anywhere in the park and it gets hot, plus the obvious lots of water and sunscreen. There are 16 lookouts and you're constantly getting in/out of your vehicle and walking a lot, especially if you decide to do any of the hikes there. We did a couple smaller ones and while it was only around 80 it was very humid from the rain last night. Later this week it's going to be in the upper 80's and Saturday will be 102. Also there's nowhere to buy food there so make sure you pack a good size lunch. There are several smaller picnic areas there and we found one that had a covered table which was nice. We spent 5 hours there just to give you a rough idea of what to expect. It's to bad were going to miss each other by only days but I can't wait to you get here and see it!

The internet here is dial up slow tonight so I'll add more pics in the morning. Here's a few of just the first lookout, there's so much to see between the lookouts and just driving where I almost ran off the road a few times. lol

IMG_6086.jpg

IMG_6089.jpg

IMG_6090.jpg

IMG_6091.jpg

IMG_6093.jpg

IMG_6095.jpg

IMG_6092.jpg

OP
OP
AzScorpion

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
IMG_6096.jpg

IMG_6098.jpg

IMG_6102.jpg

IMG_6104.jpg

IMG_6109.jpg

This one you had to climb up a bit to get to it. The second pic shows the view while staying in the center of it.

IMG_6115.jpg

IMG_6116.jpg

I never knew they had cactus here in SD too. Either that or mine miss me and followed me here. :D

IMG_6120.jpg

OP
OP
AzScorpion

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
As you drive through the colors change and these in this area were a light white sand color formation.

IMG_6132.jpg

IMG_6121.jpg

IMG_6124.jpg

IMG_6125.jpg

IMG_6129.jpg

IMG_6131.jpg

These were on the side of the road by themselves so I stopped to get a shot of them. I thought they look cool, almost like a group of houses in their own little community. lol

IMG_6127.jpg

Attachments

OP
OP
AzScorpion

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
IMG_6139.jpg

IMG_6143.jpg

IMG_6136.jpg

IMG_6145.jpg

IMG_6146.jpg

IMG_6163.jpg

IMG_6164.jpg

IMG_6165.jpg

While we were hoping to see some mountain goats, this was the only wildlife we spotted all day. Still a nice sight to see and much better than the rattlesnakes that are there. ?

IMG_6134.jpg

BladeRanger

First Name
Bladimir
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger 2020 XLT FX4
Occupation
Electronic Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
After I added the receipt to my Fuelly app it came out to 26.5 mpg. Still great mpg for this truck and the elevation changes and speeds.

Packing up here in Durango and headed to Salida, CO tonight. Will stop along the way at Cascade Falls in Ouray which was recommended by @SkyLord. Looks like a cool waterfall and a short (.4 miles) hike to get to it so my patient should be able to make it. lol

Her birthday is Friday and I asked her if she wanted either some crutches or a walker for it. :lipssealed::bandit: Good thing she has a sense on humor or I might have been beaten with those crutches.:whew:

Screenshot 2022-06-07 at 4.39.36 PM.jpeg
Happy Birthday, to your GF. Yeah watch out for them crutches!!! ? ? ?

OP
OP
AzScorpion

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
Happy Birthday, to your GF. Yeah watch out for them crutches!!! ? ? ?
Hey Bladimir, she said thanks for the birthday wish and we really appreciate it!!

?? Thank God she has a great sense of humor or I'd be in the ER by now.?‍⚕?

BladeRanger

First Name
Bladimir
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger 2020 XLT FX4
Occupation
Electronic Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
Hey Bladimir, she said thanks for the birthday wish and we really appreciate it!!

?? Thank God she has a great sense of humor or I'd be in the ER by now.?‍⚕?
Yeah, you all got some good pics along your travel. I have to put this one bucket list.

OP
OP
AzScorpion

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
The Badlands are awesome aren't they???
Brian, Yes it's awesome there and it was a really great day and well worth the drive there. There's so many amazing sights to see all across this great country and so many just don't appreciate what we have here.

On another note I'm planning out our day up to Deadwood on Wednesday and looked up the restaurant you were telling me about Sanfords. Sadly it looks like it's closed down now, possibly another victim from Covid. ☹

Sanfords.jpg

canyonslicker

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Lariat
Occupation
65 YO Juvenile Delinquent
Yeah I really like the Badlands but most observation points are up, looking down. I guess it’s for more the dramatic effect and the largeness of it’s expanse. I keep wondering the what if I was down there and then what would I see at the next turn. Would I be lost? Oh the stories are grand as well as the imagination.. You are are spot on about a big lunch and probably should include a few snacks as well, extra water is a must and you probably felt at home with the heat.

BS67

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ranger XLT
Occupation
Eye Tech, 2A supporter, USMC "Doc" '89-'95
Brian, Yes it's awesome there and it was a really great day and well worth the drive there. There's so many amazing sights to see all across this great country and so many just don't appreciate what we have here.

On another note I'm planning out our day up to Deadwood on Wednesday and looked up the restaurant you were telling me about Sanfords. Sadly it looks like it's closed down now, possibly another victim from Covid. ☹

Sanfords.jpg
That's too bad! That was a really cool restaurant with great food!
Sponsored